IT.COM

information Domain offer - New scam or just new to me?

NameSilo
Watch

Raindrops

Restricted (Market)
Impact
So I had a direct email offer for a one word domain .com (an adverb related to theorem and theory) that had an odd angle. The buyer professed a non-lengthy interest in obtaining the domain for website development, offered a sum of exactly 5K plus any fees, and asked for my account email associated with Escrow.com. Didn't mention appraisals or that they represented an interest elsewhere - below is a copy of the email:

Hello,
I wanted to make an offer for your domain xxxxxxxxx.com since I am looking to acquire one for my new website.
My offer is $5,000 USD plus applicable escrow fees.

If you are interested, let me know the escrow email associated with your account.

Regards,
(Name redacted)

I have had emailed domain offers before of a lowball value, and of course the always famous appraisal service ones - but this one is a first approach where there isn't an inquiry if the domain is even for sale (not parked, just sitting with no content), and asking a price if it is.

What I am wondering is if others have a similar email, and what is the possible security angle on asking my escrow account email?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did you replied?

Ask him to start Escrow transaction if you're agree to the price.

Possibly he will ask you to appraise if he's scam.

•••
Did you replied?

Ask him to start Escrow transaction if you're agree to the price.

Possibly he will ask you to appraise if he's scam.

I did reply. I stated the offer was fair and I was willing to accept it, and began the escrow service myself using the email address the offer came from. I informed them to write back if they had any questions.

I can't determine if there is an angle here to scam with only asking for my escrow account email - unless it is just a soft approach to lead up to the "appraisal" thing....

•••
Mostly curious if anyone has seen this type of offer before that has account security or scam implications.

•••
Start escrow and simply sit back.

nothing to loose from your end. do not provide email them directly..

•••
I received offer with identical wording and amount as Raindrops today for my single word technical niche domain.
It is signed by a Michelle, and the address is an unprofessional gmail one.
Since we both got it today, and since the approach is... unusual - I see it as 95% scam.

•••
Yeah, I received the same email with $5k offer for my one word tech/ maths related name :xf.smile:

•••
I received offer with identical wording and amount as Raindrops today for my single word technical niche domain.
It is signed by a Michelle, and the address is an unprofessional gmail one.
Since we both got it today, and since the approach is... unusual - I see it as 95% scam.
Damn!!did u just bust that sales chance?lmao. Either way, some people must have received legit inquiries similar to this.its not so out of the blue. I hope its real but be cautious.

•••
Domains are similar , so it could be legit.

•••
Nothing to lose by starting Escrow, I suppose...

•••
•••
Yup...walk the walk. no BS...
I started the Escrow process myself on my end using the email address it came from, and wrote back that if they preferred to use other credentials they could begin the process themselves.

What's odd is that the email was a generic Gmail too - but the person's name was a different female name than Michelle. Whats curious is that the domains are single word and same niche.

I just wonder what the slant is by collecting escrow account emails if it's not a valid offer.

•••
I started the Escrow process myself on my end using the email address it came from, and wrote back that if they preferred to use other credentials they could begin the process themselves.

What's odd is that the email was a generic Gmail too - but the person's name was a different female name than Michelle. Whats curious is that the domains are single word and same niche.

I just wonder what the slant is by collecting escrow account emails if it's not a valid offer.
Don't expect anything from that email. You will likely get contacted from another email very soon. Yup, I had similar experience some months back and it was female as well. They wanted a single word .com I own.

They make an offer and then go silent. After some days, they contact you via a different email with a lower offer. I got one from a certain Brooks.Jackie and gmail too.

•••
Don't expect anything from that email. You will likely get contacted from another email very soon. Yup, I had similar experience some months back and it was female as well. They wanted a single word .com I own.

They make an offer and then go silent. After some days, they contact you via a different email with a lower offer. I got one from a certain Brooks.Jackie and gmail too.
Yeah, I am not buying into it being valid - it just seems an odd process.

•••
Wow this is amazing. I just got one last night directly to my whois email. I'd say 9 times out of 10, I receive offers on my names via parking, and not direct to my whois email, but I've gotten offers this way and that, in every variation, etc, but have NEVER received an offer like this. The "buyer" didn't supply any contact information outside of the gmail account used, which was a random gmail with no link to any domains, websites, etc. To say the least, I was very suspicious. They supplied a first name and last name...their name being ALICE CLARK. The email used was [email protected].

Anyways, I would never supply my escrow email to such a random offer/request. Instead, I said if your interested you can reply to me within 24 hours with your escrow email and I will initiate the transaction myself.

From what it looks like, I think it's safe to assume we can consider this a SCAM. I track my emails and my response has yet to be open/viewed, which tends to be the case with most scams. And because the buyer appeared to be eager/urgent to purchase, it just doesn't add up.

If anyone receives such a solicitation, I would advise NOT TO RESPOND WITH YOUR ESCROW EMAIL

Last edited:
•••
I received a couple of these $5k offers this week.
My guess is that they are auto-sending out $5k offers to one-word domain owners. If the owners respond to them, then they consider if the domain is worth purchasing or not. If it is not worth $5k you will probably never hear from them again. If it is a valuable domain worth a lot more than $5k, then I am sure they will purchase it from you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back