NameSilo

question Is this a scam or legit?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Gary Moore

Established Member
Impact
I registered a new domain yesterday and woke up this morning to an email asking about it. Being new to this, I have had only one sale, and that was through Sedo. So handling a new sale on my own seems a little daunting. The email didn't go to spam, and the email address ( info@123-reg-support [dot] info ) directs to what looks like a legit company in the UK. But I don't know enough yet to tell for sure if I'm about to get taken or not. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Here is the email:

Hello!

Our client is interested in purchasing triedto.com for a new project.

I located your contact information in a domain name whois lookup.

The buyer is an investor from Qatar.

I represent his interests in this deal.

Are you still interested in selling?

The buyer can offer a good price.

If you have more names I can help you to sell them.

Are you an experienced seller?

Best Regards,

(name removed, as I don't know the legality of posting it here)

Vice President

123 REG HOSTING

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very high probability it's a scam: you will be asked to buy an appraisal at your expenses and will never hear from them...

•••
Very high probability it's a scam: you will be asked to buy an appraisal at your expenses and will never hear from them...
Thanks for the reply. Is it worth even replying to to see if that's the way they go? Or should I just ignore it? Just looking for a course of action where I don't get scammed but I don't want to miss out on a sale. Is there anyway to check these things out other than googling the info?

•••
Thanks for the reply. Is it worth even replying to to see if that's the way they go? Or should I just ignore it? Just looking for a course of action where I don't get scammed but I don't want to miss out on a sale. Is there anyway to check these things out other than googling the info?

They will shortly reply you with a high offer, but because their client is vigilant, they will ask you a certification (like an appraisal) from a specific website and so on. You are just loosing time with this if continue :)

•••
•••
Oh for goodness sake, hasn't Godaddy shut this dude down yet?!

•••
I get those all the time - just ignore and delete them.

You may also get ones saying your domain has been locked for abuse, or you need SEO, or to pay some third party to renew it or get it into Google.

•••
The scammer is redirecting 123-reg-support.info to 123-reg.co.uk which is of-course a legit business in the UK with a Complete verified SSL.

123-reg.co.uk has posted about this. Please see the below links:

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/domain-scams-and-scam-emails-273/
https://www.123-reg.co.uk/blog/domains/domain-name-scammers-try-their-luck-with-emails/

Quote from the article:
Please be aware 123-Reg ONLY sends renewal reminders by e-mail and these are always from the 123-reg.co.uk domain and that you can only renew domain names via our website.

Always google the email address domain name with scam prefixed. Google will gladly give you the history if anybody else has faced such mails.

Regards

•••
@Dineshkp
Awesome, just what i was looking for. I tried to do a quick research on this, this morning, but that was at 5am and my brain wasn't working enough to do it correctly. I just searched the email address.

•••
Glad I could help :)

It would be awesome if you contact 123-reg.co.uk with proof the scam mails so they can put out a notice on their website. Since the e-mail id address redirects to their site, a notice on the front page would alert the email recipient to not fall for the trap.

IMO The only way to kill scam is to educate those around us about it!

•••
I can't get to their site at work, but will do this when i get home tonight. Great idea!

•••
Investor in Qatar lol... I remember nigerian letters of some "prince" :)

•••
I would say SCAM.
Same letter received today with the same story:

. . . .

Best Regards,

I.. D.......

Vice President

123 REG UK

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back