Dynadot

Domain Newbies Tutorial

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Howdy,

I wrote a test tutorial for my GoTutorials.com website, and you can find it here:

http://view.gotutorials.com/content.php?tutorial=3

Now it's a bit long, but there's so much to say! I'd love to hear feedback... was it easy to understand, helpful?

Yes, I know the design has some problems, but let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice and concise...but you didn't exactly mention how it's a lucrative business and stuff, like you said you would in the intro...just to be pedantic. ;)

Overall though it's quite easy to understand from a newbie perspective. (cough cough)

•••

•••
I was trying to get across that i'm a newbie, obviously did it a little more subtly than intended. ;)

•••
That's a nice tutorial!

That would be great to have as a sticky for this section... outlining all of the commonly asked questions and personal opinions of such

Well done! Rep added

•••
nice thank you. yes you need a little design, but tutorial basics is great.

•••
Glad you liked it... yes I will be working on the design ;)

•••
Great tut man! Maybe you shoulda put some visual pics.. just to give the newbies some idea of what the heck you're talking about. But nice one and good luck on the designs

•••
Yeah, that is a very good tutorial. Although I don't think there is any need for pictures, like said above. I think you have explained all the key factors very well, and I found it very easy to understand. Great job once again.

•••
Good start ,but need to be more impartial
Personal Prejudices and Common Truisms are tainting the information
you posted .
example
Not ALL Names with hyphens are worthless
e.g. BELL-ATL.com

Less than 8 Characters are preferred
so BUSINESS.COM would be worthless then

Traffic , You dismiss traffic created by advertising.
This is a major source of traffic for Sites
How do you think people know of your Name ,and remember it later
to type it in ,if the ad is no longer displayed ,
people can still remember the name
Google,MSN , and eBAY were not "keyWords" until
advertised and typeins made them "keywords"
(Yahoo was a Keyword ,however)

You never mentioned that resellers are a popular way to register
names ,despite Namepros is a reseller of eNOM
and a large number of your fellow NPers are resellers

Often resellers offer deals and prices better than the
supplying Registrars.
i.e eNOM retail prices compared to Namepros

Payment methods
Most purchases are not done by Paypal
Credit Cards using Credit Card processors
and prepaid balance accounts are more popular

•••
Barefoottech said:
Good start ,but need to be more impartial
Personal Prejudices and Common Truisms are tainting the information
you posted .
example
Not ALL Names with hyphens are worthless
e.g. BELL-ATL.com

Less than 8 Characters are preferred
so BUSINESS.COM would be worthless then

Traffic , You dismiss traffic created by advertising.
This is a major source of traffic for Sites
How do you think people know of your Name ,and remember it later
to type it in ,if the ad is no longer displayed ,
people can still remember the name
Google,MSN , and eBAY were not "keyWords" until
advertised and typeins made them "keywords"
(Yahoo was a Keyword ,however)

You never mentioned that resellers are a popular way to register
names ,despite Namepros is a reseller of eNOM
and a large number of your fellow NPers are resellers

Often resellers offer deals and prices better than the
supplying Registrars.
i.e eNOM retail prices compared to Namepros

Payment methods
Most purchases are not done by Paypal
Credit Cards using Credit Card processors
and prepaid balance accounts are more popular
I said that GENERALLY (not quoting... but it's well implied) less than 8 characters is best, cause business.com is still more to type than enom.com for example.

Also, a domain alone does not usually benefit from advertising (you cannot advertise in most places unless you have SOME sort of legit site there, am I wrong?), especially once you sell it, since the new owner may not want to pay the advertising fees. So that's my analysis, and people stop coming w/ no site. Remember: Domains only, not sites as well.

I never mentioned resellers since it's a NEWBIE tutorial... who cares whether it is or NOT when you just start out... I never did, and I didn't know what it was, and I was fine. Notice i DID recommend NamePros...

Most purchases done by paypal... like person to person, and MANY People use PayPal on Godaddy, the most popular registrar... so it's not gonna be 100% perfect, I don't see why you're so critcal...

•••
compuXP said:
I said that GENERALLY (not quoting... but it's well implied) less than 8 characters is best, cause business.com is still more to type than enom.com for example.

Also, a domain alone does not usually benefit from advertising (you cannot advertise in most places unless you have SOME sort of legit site there, am I wrong?), especially once you sell it, since the new owner may not want to pay the advertising fees. So that's my analysis, and people stop coming w/ no site. Remember: Domains only, not sites as well.

I never mentioned resellers since it's a NEWBIE tutorial... who cares whether it is or NOT when you just start out... I never did, and I didn't know what it was, and I was fine. Notice i DID recommend NamePros...

Most purchases done by paypal... like person to person, and MANY People use PayPal on Godaddy, the most popular registrar... so it's not gonna be 100% perfect, I don't see why you're so critcal...
Paypal is not popular in a large section of the world,becuase Paypal is not Available in a lot of countries.
(Yes it is available in MOST countries that are popular with domaining, but that does not mean that everybody uses it.)
I was not being critical so much as trying to be helpful by pointing out some areas of clarification

Last edited:
•••
Paypal is used in the majority of major countries that do domaining.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back