NameSilo

Domain newbie with questions....help please

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am new to domains. I know the definition of one and that is about it. My questions are:

Is there a place to register domain names for free or a low fee?

Can you make money off of owning domain names? for ex. selling them?

What all can you do with domain names?

I know these ?'s seem pretty lame, but for me they have meaning....I am interested in learning about this area and I notice in the forums there is a lot of topics on domains....ex. domain appraisals, for sale, etc....So I just need any info about domains you can offer. Thanks in advance for any and all help,input, or advice!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domains are never free....well...except way back when .infos were.

Cheapest I have found has been namecheap.com though. $8.88

Maybe others here know cheaper but I dont.

Good Luck..

•••
Yes there are places with Free or Low Priced Domains
for example
.tk , cjb.net (freebies)
.info Cheap
ALL depends on what Domain Name Ext. or TLd you are happy with
.com is still the Most popular and are avail. for <$10 at many Registrars / Resellers
Number one thing to keep in Mind.
It is a lot easier to Buy a lousy name
than it is to sell it.

•••

No, they're not free. Except what maxima just noted above. The lowest offer I saw till now is at Netfirms. ($4.95/yr domains)

Yes, If the domains are worth the money. Short, meaningful, easy-to-remember and type, many factors can make up the value of your domain. If it happens to have a value you can find a good potential in selling it.

You can develop a website, start getting traffic and has something like Adsense to generate revenue off your site.

You can sell the domain name or park it and make revenu based on clicks through your domain.

You can showcase your own company on the web.

If you have more specific questions, let us know.
Good luck.

•••
D-: D-: D-: .COM's used to be free D-: D-: D-:

spend the money on a good domain name, it'll put you out $10 (and thats high price nowadays - for a .com anyways) and get a hosting account (or set it up yourself with your high speed connection, using a service like http://www.dyndns.org or http://www.afraid.org) and get some content on that website. You'll start to realize that you have made the money back that you had taken a risk on investment and making more than you originally invested.

Thats how people live off the internet - or at least make a little extra money on the side of their "real" job, depening how much time, effort, and money they invest into the internet.

Best of luck setting up the site, and let us @ NamePros know when it is up, we'll review your site and appraise it a value :D

-Steve

•••
nikaian said:
There are many registrars out there with all ranges of prices, some as low as about $5 while others are above $30 per year. The more popular and well known ones are Go Daddy, eNom, NameCheap, and RegisterFly. You can find a price of around $7-$9 or possibly lower with promotions. However it also depends greatly on the extension you would like to buy as well.

Here's a nice index along with reviews of many registrars right here on NP, http://www.namepros.com/registerindex.php?

nikaian said:
Yes you can make money off of names by selling them, leasing, development, or parking at a site such as Sedo where you earn money from clicks on your site to the ads provided by Sedo. Parking a name can be more rewarding if it's a good name that receives traffic though. One of the keys to making money off names is to "buy low and sell high". Domainers are always out on the prowl for good bargains that they can turn around and sell for a higher price but that goes for about any kind of business.

nikaian said:
You can develop a website and use the name that way or you could just buy the name for the traffic and park it at a program that pays you per click so you make money on the ads clicked. You could also just invest in names for the future that you believe will increase in value so you could resell later. Could also buy a name with the intentions to resell for a profit as well. Also you could just use the name for email too if you would like a more personalized email address such as [email protected].

nikaian said:
I know these ?'s seem pretty lame, but for me they have meaning....I am interested in learning about this area and I notice in the forums there is a lot of topics on domains....ex. domain appraisals, for sale, etc....So I just need any info about domains you can offer. Thanks in advance for any and all help,input, or advice!
The questions aren't lame at all as beginners have to start somewhere. Everyone on the site here at NamePros was a beginner at one time or another in their life so your questions are the same questions others had when they started out I'm sure. :tu:

I wish you the very best of luck and hopefully you will be able to learn a great deal from the wonderful members and Staff here at NamePros. If you have any questions or want assistance with anything, then don't hesitiate to post your questions or pm me as I'd be more than happy to help you out. :)

Best Regards,
Chris :talk:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back