Domain Empire

Domain Names Transfer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I just go over my list of domain names from several registrars and realized that there are several names which I sold a while ago still in my account!

I sent emails to the buyers but got no response from any of them (4 names).

What should I do? Most of the buyers are end users and requested to transfer to another registrar (vs pushing from one account to another account - same registrar).

What is my obligation to the buyer?
How long do I have to wait if I can't contact them?
What do I do with the names? some are in the $xxx

Thanks,
John

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've had the same experience with a couple of my domains... mine were sold with a site on my hosting.. buyer never xferred domain as instructed, does not answer emails, cancelled hosting sub, and let website go as well..

I suspect if it comes time to renew with no contact, ownership might revert to you... idk the legality of this...

johnn said:
I just go over my list of domain names from several registrars and realized that there are several names which I sold a while ago still in my account!

I sent emails to the buyers but got no response from any of them (4 names).

What should I do? Most of the buyers are end users and requested to transfer to another registrar (vs pushing from one account to another account - same registrar).

What is my obligation to the buyer?
How long do I have to wait if I can't contact them?
What do I do with the names? some are in the $xxx

Thanks,
John

•••
I've had this happen twice now, I was able to contact the new owners but they simply did nothing, one just recently and for a $XXX sale as yourself, I really dont get it.

I've sent 3 emails and both replied they would take care of it, nothin, I give up...

Mike

•••
Give me the domains. LOL

•••
just keep them in your account

•••
There should be some rules: If you don't claim the name within reasonable time (I would say 30 days). Then you lose ownership of the name unless there is an emergency: You died!

You can't wait for ever from the buyer.

After 30 days then you can either give the name to spikedo or sell it! :bingo:

•••
I sold 2 domains to an NP member 3 months ago.
He paid promptly.

I've reminded him 3 times by PM, to set up his account so I can transfer
the names, each time, he says "will do."

It's all fun and games until "renewal time" ;)

I'm letting these drop. - I've done what I can do.

Too bad, they are pretty good .coms

Sorry, no refunds :(

•••
Sounds like it's not your responsibility... you've done all that can be expected.

maxweb said:
I sold 2 domains to an NP member 3 months ago.
He paid promptly.

I've reminded him 3 times by PM, to set up his account so I can transfer
the names, each time, he says "will do."

It's all fun and games until "renewal time" ;)

I'm letting these drop. - I've done what I can do.

Too bad, they are pretty good .coms

Sorry, no refunds :(

•••
I've had that happen a couple times too. One domain came up for renewal and I didn't feel right renewing it, as they may claim I'd hijacked it. I let it drop and picked it up for $8.95 at namewinner with a new create date. I then sold it to another buyer a few months later.

In some cases, registrars have poor database upkeep and the domain may not even actually be there, but are really just phantoms in your account. A whois check off-site can sometimes verify this. Dotster, Registerfly, and Namescout are all particularly bad about this.

I also get cases where the buyer has taken the domain transfer or push and failed to change and check the contact info as I've clearly instructed. I have no control, but get the renewal emails. If the domain has value and I can't contact them, I may wait for the drop and just pick them up again if I can get them cheap.

To be fair, I think you should at least contact the person if you still have the contact at least once. If you can't, I guess it's fair game.

•••
careless buyers. it will bring trouble to renew them domains.

•••
All I can think of is that those buyers are having serious problems with transferring the names... but if they don't respond to you, there's really no way to help them. Unless you wanted to contact the registrar, but that's really going above and beyond...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back