IT.COM

Domain Name Stolen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Can someone assist me.

On Jan. 12th, I registered a domain name with domainspeed.net
The order said "In Processing" for 3 days. I contacted them
every day asking them what the delay was. They send that
the central registration was having problems.

On Jan. 15th, I find that the domain I wanted has been registered
by an off-shore company: MAISON TROPICALE S.A.

I use to own this domain because the domain name matches my
company name that I own in Texas, but I let it expire a couple
years back. I wanted to renew the domain to setup a
company website again, and I found out that nobody
had registered it for the past two years.

Until I went to register it.....

So, from my perspective, it's like someone stole the domain from
me when I went to register it. They put my registration process
on hold while they could register it via an off-shore company.

Can I do anything about this?

Thanks....James

Almost forgot, I have the paypal receipt showing I payed for the domain name on Jan. 12th, and a "whois" of the domain name shows it was registered on Jan. 15th. by the offshore company.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You made an error registering the domain with a POS company. I am doubtful you will get success on obtaining it even with legal action.

•••
Only ICANN-accredited registrars have the literal and figurative connections
needed to quickly query for domain availability and register it, if possible. You
seemed to have gone through a reseller for one, which doesn't have as much
umph as their registrar partner does.

Did they refund your money?

If you didn't lookup the domain name on your browser or contact its current
registrant, then give about 120 hours (5 days) from its initial creation date.
With luck, it might become available.

If it's still registered after that, only options are to try to buy it from them, or
seek legal advice, neither of which can bring about the desired result.

Of course, you could always look for another domain name.

•••
MAISON TROPICALE S.A. is a domain taster.

If your domain was in the recent drop lists then you need to be quick.
It's not uncommon for a dropped domain to be taster twice and even more. Watch this name, it could drop again within 5 days.

•••
There you go - wise words above...

I am guessing you used a whois lookup first to check your domain on a service which is either in cahoots or has some connection with one of these taster companies.

If youre not familiar with what were saying, basically with some whois lookup services, you lookup a domain and if you dont register it within a short time period, a domain taster company, one that uses the so called "kiting" loophole that allows them a full refund on their money if they drop the domain again with 5 days, time to register it with a view to selling it to you or keeping it if it shows value.

The domain tasting companies are using an automated register and drop script, keeping only those domains that show traffic.

In fact, if you return to that whois service you used and check for something like "maisontropicale_steals_domains.com" or similar, you will surely see it registered by them shortly after youve checked it..

Minor fun. However, on a positive note, provided you dont visit your domain too many times in the next 5 days, im sure youll be able to register it shortly.

For safe whois lookups, check only the whois at the root registry or through such bonafide and safe services such as Dnsstuff.com or domaintools.com (formerly whois.sc).

All the best

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back