IT.COM

Domain Name Scams

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am very bothered, and I'm probably not the only one who feels like a total moron after a "potential buyer" pulls one on us. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bothered, but I do. Well, here's what happened:

I got an e-mail from a potential buyer telling me he was ready to purchase 2 of my names through paypal or certified check. He said as soon as I got appraisals through one of "his 3 trusted appraisal sources", he would send the payment. He said he did not trust any of the free sources, but he fully trusts any of those 3, and would only buy based on their appraisal(s).

I chose one of three sources he listed, and paid for the appraisals, as he requested. I knew of course, that this did not guarantee a sale, but it was worth getting appraisals if a buyer was truly interested in it's true value.

I e-mailed him with the links to the appraisal certificates for him to view. Four days passed and I did not hear from him. I e-mailed him again, stating that since I hadn't heard back from him, that I was resending the links in case he did not previously get them.

He e-mailed me the following day, stating that he could not view my attachments. So I sent a new e-mail and included the links once again.

The next day (today) he e-mails me stating "Great appraisal"- and then tells me "I have a RISK-FREE offer....." and goes on about how he can a find a buyer for my names and that I can pay him a 30-50% commission upon sale.

I e-mailed him back stating I would have at least thought about it if he had been honest from the beginning- and I told him this was nothing but a scam, and that if he can get a buyer for these names, then he should buy them from me and sell them himself. I also wished him luck and said he probably makes a fortune by misleading and lying to people.

I would not have minded getting appraisals for someone who had genuine interest in these names, even if they did not purchase them in the end. But I do mind, for some jerk's interest in profiting from my names.

Am I wrong to be upset? Am I just a sucker?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have an idea. How about we set a date, say every 15th of the month, at 8PM NamePros time, and have everyone we know visit allfordomains.com and fastdomainsales.com? I bet the spikes in traffic can let them know that we care.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back