Dynadot

Wanted Domain Liquidation Platform - Seeking input for new Epik project

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Dear Namepros,

The team at Epik is exploring the development of a project that aims to shift the painful domain name expiration process into a more profitable experience for domainers. Perhaps you have read my opinions about registrars selling expired domains and refusing to help registrants in recovery. The time to disrupt this with action has come!

In the meantime, since joining Epik last month, I decided to do something about it with the help of some amazing engineers. The goal of this "name liquidate" idea is to sell domains directly to buyers that may otherwise wait to acquire these domains at expired auctions or being filled as registrar backorders which pays zero to the registrant.

The planned solution addresses two domainer pain points,
1. Liquidation of expiring inventory brings much needed capital, meaning you can renew more of your portfolio.
2. Buyers get clear title and dont waste time bidding on names that can be recovered post-expiry.

Here is the process,
1. Submit your domains: you unlock your domains, provide auth codes.
2. Seller acknowledges that a fast-transfer of the domain will occur once domain has a bid.
3. Bidders agree to non-revocable change of ownership if their bid prevails.
4. Sellers receive a large portion (80%?) of auction proceeds.

The process begins with a 7 day reverse auction counting down hourly/daily, down to $1 plus renewal/transfer for delivery. The domain doesn't have to be expired or expiring. You can submit the name multiple times during the life of the name but not more than once per year. Once the auth code is verified:
• Epik parks the domain with auction template with Make Offer pricing so retail bids can come in.
• Wholesale buyers are informed of expired auction inventory update.
• Domain goes through reverse auction in 7 days
• Domains are fast transferred to Epik as soon as one bid is made.
• If seller locks name, all domains will be removed and no further listings will be accepted from seller.
• Domains already at Epik are pre-qualified for "name liquidate" services, but you must opt in manually.
• External domains are eligible once auth codes are verified.
• Data will include number of views, expiration date, and expected delivery.
• Pre-set domain buys will give you the ability to buy any name when a price hits a certain target.
• Once a bid is submitted, it cannot be revoked. All purchases a final non-refundable.
As for brand name, we are considering NameLiquidate.com — very descriptive name and targeted at a very specific audience. That said, open to considering other names. A separate brand naming project is coming shortly for what Rob describes as the “Ultimate Digital Brand Marketplace”. This is separate.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What do you think about having a feed to NameBio? I agree that could do a lot to promote the platform.
I believe more buyer eyes is important, and even if this was done for a limited time, it might be a way to bring in some buyers who are not currently aware of product and not very active on NamePros.

Is NameLiquidate part of the Epik affiliate program? If a nice banner and it was part of the program maybe that would be another way to raise awareness.

Of course we can each do our own by making sure we personally point out meaningful names we have currently available there.

Bob

•••
Of course we can each do our own by making sure we personally point out meaningful names we have currently available there.

...or had available there. :xf.grin:

Someone picked up the one I submitted (I wanted to test out the service). Also, does anyone know if the ability to set a reserve been implemented yet?

•••
Also, does anyone know if the ability to set a reserve been implemented yet?
I think not, although of course if there are no bids the name could be pulled at a certain level.

But I agree that being able to set a minimum is important to get some names listed, although at the same time the idea that any name could go to $9 is appealing. So I am a little torn personally, as I find the straightforward treatment an advantage.

Bob

PS The problem with some registrar - registry combinations not verifying seems mainly fixed now:xf.smile:. I could list several names that I had not been able to earlier. Thanks to Epik for fast response to problem(y). I have so far only tried it with a few, as I only use NameLiquidate for names near expiration.

Last edited:
•••
I believe more buyer eyes is important, and even if this was done for a limited time, it might be a way to bring in some buyers who are not currently aware of product and not very active on NamePros.

Is NameLiquidate part of the Epik affiliate program? If a nice banner and it was part of the program maybe that would be another way to raise awareness.

Bob
@Bob Hawkes - meaning feed to NameBio (not NamePros).

•••
@Bob Hawkes - meaning feed to NameBio (not NamePros).
Yes, I realized that. You mean have some names promoted on the paid auction listings, or possibly a general ad appearing on NameBio homepage for a limited time, or did you mean to show sales in NameBio? I suspect that many would object to the latter, as those picking up domains cheap prefer the prices not to be available, even in the <$100 part you need a subscription for.
Bob

•••
Yes, I realized that. You mean have some names promoted on the paid auction listings, or possibly a general ad appearing on NameBio homepage for a limited time, or did you mean to show sales in NameBio? I suspect that many would object to the latter, as those picking up domains cheap prefer the prices not to be available, even in the <$100 part you need a subscription for.
Bob
Yes, I meant a feed for completed sales. I see your point about not publicizing low prices. And you're right, most sales would appear in the <$100 section. However the upside is it would advertise the platform to a huge number of investors (both buyers and sellers). Often when I see new venues appear in the results, it leads me to explore the venue. I think it is unlikely that true end users would subscribe to the <$100 feature. So, they are unlikely to learn about those sales.

•••
Reporting wholesale purchases, like those of NameLiquidate (or any expired/pendingdelete purchases), is harmful. It might be OK for such a report to appear here @ NP only, but, in this case, namebio will start grabbing it. As such, the outcome of NameLiquidate should not become public. Imo...

•••
What do you think about having a feed to NameBio? That could do a lot to promote the platform.

We are discussing it with Michael actually. We are also trying to figure if there is a sponsor scenario there that makes sense. Hope to finalize something soon.

•••
...or had available there. :xf.grin:

Someone picked up the one I submitted (I wanted to test out the service). Also, does anyone know if the ability to set a reserve been implemented yet?

Nothing automated where you can set a price when you list. But you can manually click though from the Epik dashboard to remove it when it hits an amount where you are no longer willing to sell it.

•••
Continued steady growth of inventory:

https://nameliquidate.com/

One thing I don't think a lot of people are doing yet but are free to do is arbitraging these domains. There are people in emerging markets in particular that I believe will be able to promote domains for sale and negotiate with buyers until their buy price is lower than their sell price. In that case everyone wins:

- Seller gets paid
- Buyer gets a name they want at a price they like
- Domain Flipper banks the spread

It is capitalism at its finest and is accessible to all -- no wealth required assuming the sale is done through Epik escrow and the buyer funds the escrow before the domain is bought by another.

I find those types of models to be highly empowering for folks who have more time than money. The overlay between NameLiquidate and Emerging Market empowerment can generate a lot of pie.

Last edited:
•••
Domain Flipper banks the spread
Rob, I hope you are recommending the "Domain Flipper" to purchase the domain @ NameLiquidate first, and to promote it only after he actually owns it?

•••
@Rob Monster now that the proxy bidding has been in place for at least a little while are you able to give us any idea of the % split between names selling by Bid and names selling by BIN since bidding became available? Would be an interesting stat to know...

•••
@Rob Monster now that the proxy bidding has been in place for at least a little while are you able to give us any idea of the % split between names selling by Bid and names selling by BIN since bidding became available? Would be an interesting stat to know...

Proxy bidding is definitely on the way to becoming the dominant bidding method for the above-reserve domains. For people with more money than time, i.e. "rich" people, proxy bidding is the only way to go.

•••
What about .co.uk? There are no codes for them, if i get it right.

•••
What about .co.uk? There are no codes for them, if i get it right.

@Sufyan Alani is working with Nominet. He should comment. We should try to do something really compelling there. I agree.

•••
nl.png

Nice to see the inventory growing on this. I managed to sell 4 names here so far myself. I suspect there will be great things in the future for NameLiquidate.

•••
I think the average sale price should be better advertised and the bids kept in the dark
great stuff so far looking forward to more improvements

•••
Is there a way to find out what our names have sold for? I am most interested for tax purposes. I have checked in-store credit, invoices, financial statement, etc. I have received two emails of sales that have occurred but no information (other than the domain) of the sales transaction. I have not reviewed the past couple of days on this thread due to having the flu so forgive me if this has been posted. Its of no urgency, I probably wont check back for another day as I can barely sit upright. As long as I can find out before April 15, 2021 :) Thanks!

•••
Is there a way to find out what our names have sold for? I am most interested for tax purposes. I have checked in-store credit, invoices, financial statement, etc. I have received two emails of sales that have occurred but no information (other than the domain) of the sales transaction. I have not reviewed the past couple of days on this thread due to having the flu so forgive me if this has been posted. Its of no urgency, I probably wont check back for another day as I can barely sit upright. As long as I can find out before April 15, 2021 :) Thanks!

The best I have been able to find is an invoice for the transaction in your masterbucks account when ypu click on an individual transaction. Unfortunately it only shows the net price paid to you and not the gross sales price paid by the buyer.

•••
Hi @DanSanchez - I'm still having trouble adding a few domains. I have DM'd you the names and auth codes.

•••
Have some questions, I've listed 7 domains, 2 sold. Have very little info about what sold, for how much, and what didnt. Would be really cool to get that info especially sales for tax reasons next year. @Rob Monster is this something that can be found somewhere?

•••
Have some questions, I've listed 7 domains, 2 sold. Have very little info about what sold, for how much, and what didnt. Would be really cool to get that info especially sales for tax reasons next year. @Rob Monster is this something that can be found somewhere?
Not sure about the online interface, however emails are sent out. Like this:

Subject: Congratulations! <...> sold at NameLiquidate by Epik

Epik.com

Legendary Customer Support: 425-366-8810

Building Domains. Building Markets.

Hello <me>,

Congratulations! Your domain <...> has been sold for <...> through a 'Buy Now' listing you created at NameLiquidate.com. Epik will start transfer for <...> automatically. Please approve this transfer on the current registrar. Your funds will be released upon successful transfer.

•••

Actually, the sales would be here:

https://registrar.epik.com/account/billing/masterbucks

For tax check out the Financial Statement feature:

https://registrar.epik.com/account/financial-statement/

However, we'll add a 3rd tab within NameLiquidate.com:

- Doman listings
- Offers made
- Sales completed

This would be natively on NameLiquidate.com for the logged in user.

Sound good?

•••
Great work. @Rob Monster @DanSanchez

lost;high bid for a while, how see list won lost add “favorites” # of favorites and email me
# BIN name bidding against was sold

think high-end $xxx. no way know cuz i lost...!
only found out sold, if look up and find it gone!
there way to monitor lead and history of bids ones bid on & how much sold by BIN (if lost)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Why price secret #2 auction, led while?) not identity— just ask price, “recent sold”even

email how much sold or least email say “sold” you were outbid/ even when you were outbid no BIN!, timestamp email help price, w/o say.

Seriously, no way to know by email i lost!
and BIN was hit when it was $700? $500?
you can still mask names here, just show ur personal order history only u can see NL panel

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back