IT.COM

discuss Domain Investors or “Domainers” are often hated, but is this fair?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Domain Investors are something hat anybody who has been on the internet and attempted to register a domain has likely encountered. The business model of a domain investor is, on a basic level, quite simple. Their goal is to find a domain they believe will be in demand and register it for the purpose of reselling it at a premium.

Domainers are simply people who see an opportunity to make money and take it.

http://www.justanothergeekblog.com/2016/10/21/domainers-are-loathed-as-scum-but-is-this-fair/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
On many of the web developer websites domainers are hated, they want great names at reg fees so they can build a website around it and sell the whole bucket for a good price. As far as endusers who get mad at me I just tell them I park the name so all companies have equal access to the traffic,through Google adwords, rather than one company getting all thenatural typein traffic for themselves.

•••
Someone sent a message to me a couple of months ago saying that I am a waste of life squatter and a P.O.S. The domain he or she referenced has brought in multiple four-figure offers that have been turned down. At least give me an offer I can turn down before you insult me. Nothing you can do about haters.

•••
They hate us because they think we are earning money without much effort. Thats very wrong.

•••
i think other domainers "hate" other domainers, more that non domainers hate domainers.

yeah, i said it!

i think those who know, are hated more by those who don't.

dude in the back says,word!

i think those that think they know, but really don't... hate those who try to enlighten them.

diz-zam!

i think those that only see what is written, hate those who can read between the lines.

preach mo-fo, preach!

i think those who believe, hate those who don't -
and those that don't, can't understand why those who believe, believe the shit they believe, in.

drops the mic and walks off stage

:)

imo....

•••
<slow clap starting in the back row>

•••
Property is theft ! - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited:
•••
Not fair, but plenty of people are jealous.
And it's true that some domainers are acting like assholes.

Of course the assumption that without domainers there would be more good domains available is wrong. They would be taken anyway by other people or corporations and not even for sale. Good names were snagged 20 years ago. People are just late to the game.
Domainers play a role in the ecosystem, something that is hard to admit for some people.

Last edited:
•••
•••
True, nobody complains when registrars maintain portfolios and sell domains.

Not sure why anyone would "hate" me, just for trying to put food on my table..maybe for not giving anything for for free!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back