news Domain investing 2020: Chaotic vs. Structured Domain Portfolios

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
Brands.International for Medium.com.

Domain investing 2020: Chaotic vs. Structured Domain Portfolios

This is another of brief articles, which, as I hope, can help domain investors (mainly those who are just starting) to get some unbiased overview of investment opportunities, but also investment traps which one can face when investing in new gTLD domain names (which are domain names in extensions like .life, .world, .online, .store or .xyz). Today I will discuss why most investors should really avoid building what I would call “chaotic portfolio” and instead focus on building a nice (and probably also profitable) portfolio, which, in the following text, I will call “structured portfolio”.

Read more...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think, when renewals are expensive transfers can be cheap. I have never seen such an example. When there is a promotion somewhere, this is because the registry of that tld allows it to exist.

•••
Having many gtlds in a portfolio with expensive renewals can be a problem

But nowhere near as big of a problem than

Having a portfolio of .com domain names and wrongly thinking that .com domains are everything so refusing to invest in gtlds when they were reg fee and now have to watch buyers refuse to buy .coms and instead buy the gtlds the .com investors refused to buy when they were cheap and it wont be long before gtlds become very expensive

Great article

•••
The most important thing for investors is how much money do you have to invest?

•••
I don't think, when renewals are expensive transfers can be cheap. I have never seen such an example. When there is a promotion somewhere, this is because the registry of that tld allows it to exist.
If I might ask, where exactly are you searching for transfer promotions of new gTLDs if you have not seen any yet? Just curious :)

•••
The most important thing for investors is how much money do you have to invest?
I think the most important thing for investors is to have an exit strategy, plus they need to understand what they are doing and why, and what ROI they can achieve.

Even when you have millions of dollars to invest, if you do not know what you are doing, you are not an investor. You might just lose all your money :)

•••
Transfers to 1and1...
They bill them the same as new regs, regardless of TLD. Except Premiums.
This is how their billing works for many years... I use it since 2009...
For example, yesterday I have transferred .life for $6.

Last edited:
•••
There are also special prices for Chinese registrants with West.xyz and other CN-registrars...

Last edited:
•••
I think the most important thing for investors is to have an exit strategy
This strategy is stable since the beginning of nTLDs... almost no any changes...
Drop and if necessary - reg it again for promofee... Dropcatch competition is minimal here, a few times below even .info

•••
Transfers to 1and1...
One good example of that :)

•••
•••
•••
Good article, mostly I can only find 1 time promotion for new applicants, $1 for first reg.
Before enter in the article I thought it’s about some benefits of selling structured domain other than promotion points, but still good though, thx.

Last edited:
•••
Transfers to 1and1...
is this true for all TLDs?
How is the registrar otherwise? ANy issues with transfer outs etc like netsol?

2 years is a good time to hold until you drop a TLD with expensive renewals, if this works for all TLDs.
I will transfer all my .cos

. Except Premiums.
You mean registry premiums?
eg, a dot co with reg premium with 120 bucks and renewal of $20, how does it work?

Last edited:
•••
And again: TRUE for ALL TLDs, except Premium domains (they can't be regged/transferred).
NO any problems with transfer-out, it is instant! This was posted 100 times already on NamePros.

•••
What are premium domains? Reg Premiums?

•••
•••
The biggest mistake IMO which domain investors make is overestimating the likelihood of selling a domain at a premium price.

•••
I've only two .com's and i don't sell them for cheap, cheers! Patience, quality and luck are the keys to succes imo.

Last edited:
•••
Brands.International for Medium.com.

Domain investing 2020: Chaotic vs. Structured Domain Portfolios

This is another of brief articles, which, as I hope, can help domain investors (mainly those who are just starting) to get some unbiased overview of investment opportunities, but also investment traps which one can face when investing in new gTLD domain names (which are domain names in extensions like .life, .world, .online, .store or .xyz). Today I will discuss why most investors should really avoid building what I would call “chaotic portfolio” and instead focus on building a nice (and probably also profitable) portfolio, which, in the following text, I will call “structured portfolio”.

Read more...
Thank you so much for this article. I've been in the industry for 6-8 months and it's articles such as yours
that help me to learn. For those of us newbies who wish to build a great portfolio..keep posting articles such as this. It truly helps. Much appreciated!!!:xf.smile:

•••
Thank you so much for this article. I've been in the industry for 6-8 months and it's articles such as yours
that help me to learn. For those of us newbies who wish to build a great portfolio..keep posting articles such as this. It truly helps. Much appreciated!!!:xf.smile:
Thank you @Indianad, I am glad you find it helpful! :)

•••
I've only two .com's and i don't sell them for cheap, cheers! Patience, quality and luck are the keys to succes imo.
That's amazing, Patrick :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back