news Domain investing 2020: Whales, Builders, and Flippers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
Brands.International for Medium.com

Domain investing 2020: Whales, Builders, and Flippers

This is another brief article, which, I hope, can help new gTLD domain investors (mainly those who are just starting) to get some unbiased overview of investment opportunities, but also investment traps which one can face when investing in new gTLDs (new domain names, which are domain names created in extensions like .life, world, .online, store, or .xyz). Today I will discuss differences between various investment approaches when it comes to new gTLDs, and particularly we will learn the importance of investment styles.

What is the best time to invest in new gTLD domains?
This is, of course, the million-dollar question. Different investors approach this very differently. As per my observation, there are basically 3 main groups of new gTLD domain investors: I will call the first group “Whales” (early investors, usually with a lot of money, usually long term investors), the second group “Flippers”(early or later investors, usually with not much money, short term investors) and a third group “Builders” (early or later investors, with a medium amount of money, by definition long term investors). The following text is only a rough approximation of what is going on, as almost no new gTLD investor belongs purely to one of those groups — some people combine two of those styles, and some try to combine all three. Anyway, here we go:

Read more...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you a Whale, Builder, or Flipper? Share below :)

•••
•••
•••
I guess I’m a flipping builder, which sounds like something you’d say to insult someone. ;)

Last edited:
•••
As a 6 month newbie...I would venture to say...I'm learning so that my portfolio incorporates all three(y)

•••
•••
Started as a flipper (maybe even a whale), but after recovering my initial investment and learning a thing or two along the way, I dropped 90%, now I'm a builder with fewer manicured domains in my portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
Are you a Whale, Builder, or Flipper? Share below :)

When it comes to new gTLDs I am none of the above, but really that is not enough categories.

There are categories like dabblers, someone who is willing to spend a decent (but not whale) amount of money for handful of good combos.

Brad

•••
When it comes to new gTLDs I am none of the above, but really that is not enough categories.

There are categories like dabblers, someone who is willing to spend a decent (but not whale) amount of money for handful of good combos.

Brad
That is true, I completely forgot "dabblers" :)

•••
Started as a flipper (maybe even a whale), but after recovering my initial investment and learning a thing or two along the way, I dropped 90%, now I'm a builder with fewer manicured domains in my portfolio.
Probably the best way to go :)

•••
Thx for question.
Maybe an other definition called Pioneers - who don’t want to put their fates on other people’s (or registry’s) hands, they locked up a particular niche in some particular forms and try to mark it up by themselves, usually have big amount of money. I do believe it’s how the numbers.com or number.cn .cc(it looks similar to .cn) flourished in the beginning while Chinese spelling combos don’t generate as many pairs as English words, this kind of strategy need a lot of money for promotion and also need to team up instead of being self-absorbed freelancers.
Ps. I also believe in the early stage the team bid to each others and made it became reality.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back