Dynadot

discuss Domain blog's last post [from 2009] about .mobi strikingly similar to a certain new gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jeeps

-You'll Never Walk Alone-Established Member
Impact
>> Let me preface by saying I'm not sure who the owner of the site referenced below is, or if they're a member here, or if someone here knows them...or if someone here knows them and it's your best buddy who sadly passed three years ago -- this post / thread is in no way intended as a slight or an indictment of their views.

It's merely an interesting juxtaposition to discuss. <<

I happened across this domainer's site / blog from a link in 'the comments on an old domaining blog post. The homepage seems to indicate that the site either hasn't been updated since, or has a final post of August 28, 2009.

Pulled out a few interest musings:

"Yesterday, representatives from mTLD, (the .mobi registry) held a conference call speaking directly to .mobi domain owners."

I thought this was kind of cool. Don't remember ever hearing about this really.

1. "Dotmobi is setting the stage for the imminent expansion of The Mobile Web*. CEO, Trey Harvin is a proven leader in the Internet Technology space and he has absolute confidence in the global adoption of the .mobi domain.
To say the least, I believe that mTLD is well positioned to weather the current economic storm and radically grow over the next 18 months. In other words, the bottom for .mobi was last month, new registrations, renewals, and aftermarket sales should pickup gradually as new technologies continue to spark innovation across The Mobile Web. "

*This links to The Mobile Web Twitter account, with three tweets from August 2009-10.

2. "Remember .mobi is a very young TLD that launched ahead of the curve and ahead of it's time."

Thought this tidbit sounded kind of familiar with regard to .xyz. For me it's a shame how it was rolled out -- what with so much nonsense and controversial black hat tactics and so on. On the other hand, I do I think it's kind of a cool extension (just as an extension in general) if I'm honest.

There's a link to a podcast talking about .mobi, but I haven't gone to it (gotta get some rest and don't want to fall into a black hole here). If it's still accessible, it'd probably be pretty interesting to see what folks were saying and thinking.

Curious what the Propublic makes of it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back