IT.COM

discuss Does this come under cyberSquatting?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

showmaker

Gonna get youEstablished Member
Impact
I recently hit upon an idea. Find low/medium level popular public figures, search for a dot com domain with their exact name. If a domain is available build a beautiful website by collecting information about the person from social media and other channels. And then send cold email to the person about the website. Does this also come under cybersquatting? Please suggest

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppp!!! lol just asking for trouble my friend. Listen to someone who's been there several times. waste of time and money. if you are lucky all they will do is take your domain. if you are lucky.

go think of something else.

or at the very least don't contact the enduser. Please!

•••
Sounds like an awkward way of stalking.

•••
Can be classified as fan site!

•••
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppp!!! lol just asking for trouble my friend. Listen to someone who's been there several times. waste of time and money. if you are lucky all they will do is take your domain. if you are lucky.

go think of something else.

or at the very least don't contact the enduser. Please!
Yeah thought to get experts opinion instead of just going blindly

•••
Sounds like an awkward way of stalking.

mmm... is there a better way of doing something similar in your opinion? or this all crap?

•••
•••

Not unless you had been running the site for some time with some history - trying to get payment from the person featured may even be viewed as a possible(Pay me or I'll blacken your name ) extortion threat.

There's some crazy ideas that floated here on NP's This must be one of the worst

•••
•••
•••
Not unless you had been running the site for some time with some history - trying to get payment from the person featured may even be viewed as a possible(Pay me or I'll blacken your name ) extortion threat.

There's some crazy ideas that floated here on NP's This must be one of the worst
Your vivid imagination is legendary! 😁

•••
Your vivid imagination is legendary! 😁

Thank you, I guess that's why i'm so successful in the Branding category for sales. :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
•••

Good point. The main considerations would be 1) Has the person intellectual property rights in / or trademarked their name? 2) Does the "fan website" show adverts related to the trademark? Ie a website called "DavidBeckham/io" selling David Beckham merchandise would run into deep water legally. Otherwise, there are many people called David Beckham, so simply owning the domain isn't a problem.

•••
I recently hit upon an idea. Find low/medium level popular public figures, search for a dot com domain with their exact name. If a domain is available build a beautiful website by collecting information about the person from social media and other channels. And then send cold email to the person about the website. Does this also come under cybersquatting? Please suggest

A related strategy I read is search the youth teams of major sports clubs to find up-and-coming stars of the future and register their names in .com. For example, register the entire team of New York Yankees, FC Barcelona, New Zealand Rugby etc (under-16's teams) and in the next 4-5 years see who makes it as a pro and drop the rest.

•••
Thanks for all the input. Just getting the concept clear actually.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back