Domain Empire

.tv Does the .TV cause TM infringement?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.Mike

Made in the U.K.VIP Member
Impact
I have been pondering over this since RJ posted the other day about speed*.tv...

By adding .tv to the end of what would otherwise be a generic dictionary word in any other extension cause it to infringe on a TM the same way it would if the domain was 'keywordTV.com'

As an example:

sky --> generic dictionary word.

sky.net --> although obvious it doesn't infringe on any TM's unless you started putting ads all over and pinching business from sky.com, eg put a picture of the sky against it and your fine.

skyTV.net --> bad

sky.tv --> ??? Even if you put a picture of the sky against it does the name itself not create an infringement?

Is this me just being paranoid?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't seem fair that sky.tv would count as that...but you never know, companies are bastards.

•••
I suppose it comes down to when we register a .TV domain are we 1)registering a domain in what is generally accepted above anything else to be the namespace for the TV industry (and there is plenty proof of that, eg www.tv) or 2) are we just registering a name in the tld namespace for tuvalu?

So in the case is 1) we are infringing on a TM with a domain like sky.tv and in the case of 2) we are not...

Which way would the decision go though?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back