Dynadot

question Does it work to let a domain expires and buys it again before anyone else does?

NameSilo
Watch

postscripter

Top Member
Impact
Hi.
I have a few domains names with expensive nTLD, they will expire today and was wondering since registration is much cheaper than renewing. Is it doable to let them expire and then buy them back? will it work? or will people buy them before me.. can i time it? i know it expires tomorrow, but then i think there is grace period for me to renew?? it will be locked for new registrations? but until when am not sure?

I have never bought expiring domains, but I know most domainers here buy expired domains.. probably through some service that notifies them of expiry???

Domain names are on namecheap

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I saw your question being asked in the appraisal section. Once you aren't paying for it and its gradually becoming out of your reach, its available to anyone

IMO

Last edited:
•••
will it work?
You need a certified clairvoyant to answer that.

There is a chance you re-register your own names before anybody else, as well as there is a chance they'll be taken by someone else.

Also, registries may slap premium onto some domains if they consider them good.

Also, "much cheaper registration" is not a permanent thing, it may end any moment and you'll find yourself having to pay the same "expensive" fee as for renewal. For example, there used to be cheap registration on .horse but not there is none.

•••
Good morning.

I think to a degree you have answered your own question. You must decide which if any are worth keeping by checking previous sales and reading the potential market for sales going into the future. They are expensive but instinct will tell you that maybe it is time to let them all go. Not everyone likes extensions which is not dotcom and this sometimes makes it harder to get sales.

It is perhaps better to take a gamble on a few that you have a good feeling about and forget the rest. They may be snapped up by others and they may not. Go and search for the names you may drop in a few weeks time and if they are still available for a new hand reg then that means that you were probably in a majority of one who thought that they were good names.

There are so many different parameters which define us as domain investors and one of them is knowing when to just drop a name and walk away. If you have visit stats and no one has made an offer or indeed bought the name then this too may indicate that the money should be spent on a new asset and take the gamble with the new name rather than the old one. Life teaches us many things but we must always be willing to learn the hard way if necessary.

I usually get my expired names at expirednames. net and you should pay the site a visit and have a play and see what is available but do not rush in until you have gained enough experience to know a good sellable name and hone your skills so that you can win many good names as you will be competing with many others. There are several other sites that deal with expired and dropping names so you should check them out too.

Good luck on your adventure.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••
Crap names. Yes
Good name. No

•••
I saw your question being asked in the appraisal section. Once you aren't paying for it and its gradually becoming out of your reach, its available to anyone

IMO
can the exact moment be calculated so i buy it exactly on time before anyone else?

•••
•••
A mediocre name this might work, maybe even a good name. Great names not worth the risk. They will be snatched.

•••
thanks everyone. I've renewed the names. (total cost $85)
ManageMy.Shop
ManageMy.Restaurant
I couldn't let them go!
What do you think now that you know the names? right or wrong decision?

Last edited:
•••
Personally I would of let them drop........not being rude, just my opinion

Last edited:
•••
Personally I would of let them drop........not being rude, just my opinion

this is not rude, thanks for sharing your opinion, and you are probably more experienced..
maybe i should have dropped... but something telling me i would give it a last year chance.

•••
this is not rude, thanks for sharing your opinion, and you are probably more experienced..
maybe i should have dropped... but something telling me i would give it a last year chance.
I'm not that experienced, just opinionated :xf.smile:

GL with them (y)

•••
I think you should have let them drop as well. I'm not being rude either. It's mostly the single word domains which I think twice if I might not renew. Most two/three word domains, is an easy drop. Of course our mind doesn't always follow our heart. Thankfully. Good luck with any sale you might get in the next 12 months. Before you have to go thru this again.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah I don't love the names I won't touch anything in non com unless it's single word. However best of luck.

•••
I let expire some nTLD's and could register again.
Their drop time varies. You will likely have to wait for hours on the drop day to register again. It's also possible to lose the domain if someone else is quicker than you. It's a risky and tiring task.

Last edited:
•••
I let expire some nTLD's and could register again.
Their drop time varies. You will likely have to wait for hours on the drop day to register again. It's also possible to lose the domain if someone else is quicker than you. It's a risky and tiring task.
is there no service that notify you of the exact moment a domain drops?

•••
is there no service that notify you of the exact moment a domain drops?
I dont think so, but a php script using an api to check for domain availability can be done easily.

•••
thanks everyone. I've renewed the names. (total cost $85)
ManageMy.Shop
ManageMy.Restaurant
I couldn't let them go!
What do you think now that you know the names? right or wrong decision?

personally, I do not like name hacks
but there are folks who do

but those terms...I don't see an industry supporting that task

who might want
ManageMyRestaurant
ManageMyShop
yes, the owner of the .com

but as those domains are not in use
I doubt it

•••
personally, I do not like name hacks
but there are folks who do

but those terms...I don't see an industry supporting that task

who might want
ManageMyRestaurant
ManageMyShop
yes, the owner of the .com

but as those domains are not in use
I doubt it

I see these names to be very interesting for these who want to build a software/web app to manage shop/restaurants. imagine yourself owning a restaurant for example, wouldn't it be a very easy and memorable name to use for your web app that you manage your restaurant through?

•••
Not great names and did not worth renewal, moreover at the price. just my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
Not great names and did not worth renewal, moreover at the price. just my opinion.
by now am regretting my decision to renew. this will be the last year if not sold i wont renew anymore.

•••
I see these names to be very interesting for these who want to build a software/web app to manage shop/restaurants. imagine yourself owning a restaurant for example, wouldn't it be a very easy and memorable name to use for your web app that you manage your restaurant through?

I understand your point
read me post again

•••
I understand your point
read me post again
you said: "I don't see an industry supporting that task" and I explained which industry support these names.
as for the .com not in use. they are registered and maybe who ever owns them is asking for high price ..etc

Last edited:
•••
•••
by now am regretting my decision to renew. this will be the last year if not sold i wont renew anymore.

Most of the time renewing nTLD is waste of money.
Some nTLD's have low renewal prices. Even if those cheap nTLD's also are not worth to renew most of the time, I usually renew them anyway as the cost is low.

Last edited:
•••
Back