NameSilo

Does history of domain matter?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bhavesh Jhalawadia

Impact
Hello friends.

I am new member and new in domain industry. I red many times at many forums that the history of Domain is very important. Means fresh/new domain should not be bought. Some are saying that as old domain contains some domain authority and certain backlinks, so it would be more useful to end user. Here, I am expressing my onw views based on my R&D. I checked history of certain sold domains in name bio. Majority domains are old, but when I checked traffic overview of domain, I found even zero traffic and no domain authorly. Domain could be old one like from 2001 or 2005, but not a single traffic. Such domain even sold with very good price like 5000 to 10000 $.

My questions are as under
1. If domains are sold without any traffic or domain authority, then what is benefit of old domain?
2. If any domain is most suitable to recent trade, marketable and good search volume on key words of domain, then why we can not buy fresh domain? Will it not be sold merely because it does not have any history? Will it not be useful to end user?

I request to all expert and established members to throw their views on this. It would be great help for me.
Thank

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The 1st thing(s) you should check - to alleviate fears of a problem history (= DeIndexed/blacklisted/etc.) is: 1. Check to run a blacklist checker. 2. check it on Archive.org, review the history by seeing the actual website over time, 3. look at traffic stats (Moz, etc.) 4. many other research tools, depending on what you are looking into or prefer. Also - the above are not really in an order to follow.

Feel free to use the the free tools on AiSerp.com (link in my sig) - you will see blacklist check right on the from page.

GL!

Last edited:
•••
If it has been hosted on PPC parking or For-Sale hosters for much of its prior existence after it was dropped and reregistered, that is not generally a good sign. Also count the number of times it has been deleted or transferred. That's another indication. A domain name that bounced around PPC hosters (nameservers) is unlikely to have been developed. A domain name that has been on For-Sale hosters and dropped and then put on For-Sale hosters or auction sites and subsequently dropped is also unlikely to have been developed. Also look at the nationality of the hoster where it was hosted. That can provide some clues as to the market that it had been previously targeting if it was developed.

Also check how many TLDs in which the domain name is registered. What a lot of domainers don't realise is that about 43% or so of .COM domain names registered in a particular month are not renewed at their first renewal. The percentages vary for other TLDs and also by month.

Old and previously registered domain names may sell well but the ones that make it to auction are typically shifted there by their registrars rather than letting them expire naturally. This means that they keep the original registration date. Domain names that go through the normal domain name lifecycle and are deleted lose that original registration date. The registrars, especially if they are providing DNS service for their domain names know more about the traffic on these expired domain names and they are well ahead of domainers on this. It is one of the factors in their decision to send and expired domain name to auction rather than let it delete.

Regards...jmcc

•••
If it has been hosted on PPC parking or For-Sale hosters for much of its prior existence after it was dropped and reregistered, that is not generally a good sign. Also count the number of times it has been deleted or transferred. That's another indication. A domain name that bounced around PPC hosters (nameservers) is unlikely to have been developed. A domain name that has been on For-Sale hosters and dropped and then put on For-Sale hosters or auction sites and subsequently dropped is also unlikely to have been developed. Also look at the nationality of the hoster where it was hosted. That can provide some clues as to the market that it had been previously targeting if it was developed.

Also check how many TLDs in which the domain name is registered. What a lot of domainers don't realise is that about 43% or so of .COM domain names registered in a particular month are not renewed at their first renewal. The percentages vary for other TLDs and also by month.

Old and previously registered domain names may sell well but the ones that make it to auction are typically shifted there by their registrars rather than letting them expire naturally. This means that they keep the original registration date. Domain names that go through the normal domain name lifecycle and are deleted lose that original registration date. The registrars, especially if they are providing DNS service for their domain names know more about the traffic on these expired domain names and they are well ahead of domainers on this. It is one of the factors in their decision to send and expired domain name to auction rather than let it delete.

Regards...jmcc
Thank you so much sir for detailed information

•••

Regards...jmcc
Thank you so much

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back