Dynadot

discuss Does brandable domains work?

NameSilo
Watch

Nezam Uddin

Established Member
Impact
I am very curious regarding the regging of brandables vs liquid domains. Personally i feel that there are very less chances that a new firm would like to browse through a buy a brand at BB etc. If i were a brand i would most probably come up with a unique identity for my company and not something thought off by other people.

So accordingly, there are less chances of the entity getting sold in the marketplace. Liquid domains, on the other hand, have a strong selling point and logical one too. Things such as mandarin sounding LLLL exists which have a valuable market in china etc.

So i want to have views of liquid domains vs brandables by people who have had an experience in both. Sale maximisation v/s profit maximisation.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Brandables sell but Liquid domains sell faster. I love brandables and i stick to it. reason being that no one can predict the selling price/range. It can sell for x, xx, xxx, xxxx, xx, xxx, xxx, xxx irrespective of domain age.the Choice is yours.good luck.

•••
•••
Brandables seem to be a bit of a strange market. I've had upr8.com for years, and most people have said that it's rubbish, I decided to have a go at using it to create a brand, because I have never done this, and now most people I ask ( not domainers ) seem to think it's a great brand name.

I guess the answer may be to try to use the name in a simple fashion if you want to promote it as a brandable name. :)

•••
I've really only ever sold 'Brandable' domains since day one, 18 years ago.
you do have to be ahead of the game in terms of wordplay, technology and markets. It isn't an easy game to play but, it's certainly a far more interesting and challenging. Your basically looking for short but applicable 'WordArt' as well as multi-outlets for your domains. So your basically earning for the work you've put in identifying the branding potential
The fun tends to stop when a company goes and trademarks the term, obviously you predate them in terms registration date etc but, it tends to stop anybody else using the wording, So the fun part stops there.

most of my domains end up with subsequent trademark holders anyway (by negotiation) But it can limit your market scope.

Last edited:
•••
Brandable domains do not come equal.
In my experience (and after having carefully analyzed thousands of sales) simply put: 2-word "brands" do far, far better than any other "brand" category - period.

Names like:
PracticePlus.com
LeaseGroup.com
InvestHub.com
ProAgent.com
PeakOne.com
AlianceShopping.com
MotionLab.com

•••
Indeed Federer quite often they can be trademarked in Specific classes not seen as descriptive usage. I must admit some of the biggest learning exercises for me and indeed very worthwhile. Is my 'Now' 18+ years reading-up on trademark law, and I love it.
I already had some qualifications in business law, so I've enjoyed the whole time.
I don't think I could've ever worked with simple descriptives.
* because most had already gone even in the year 2000, and the brand-line was there to be had

•••
I seem to get the point. So basically the sales are inbound end user ones which require one to have lots of patience and money. It's just not the game for the one who wants to keep getting returns every month.

or is there a better way to sell them?

•••
active selling - you would reach out to a min # of prospects per day, per name... I think sitting back with your killer portfolio and waiting for the calls to come in happens after many years of success and portfolio building. or at least with the names in my portfolio hahahahaha

•••
•••
IMHO, dealing with brandables aren't for beginners :stop:

•••
Choose quantity if you want to be successful selling brandable names/low searches type and choose quality if you want to sell or invest in liquid domains. both works!

•••
Does brandable domains work?

it doesnt work anymore.. stick with new gtlds.

•••
Everyone has their forte

I wouldn't advise going in 'Brandable' domains unless you have some good marketing background, enjoy Word-Art, perhaps a good understanding in behavioural-sciences, psychology and lets not forget technology awareness. Plenty of time to read up and study Trademark law and application. And finally are in domains for the long-game. Good domains for the whole business aren't 'Read' they are Recognised and yes, that includes wording not even out there yet

nope it is Not for the novice

Last edited:
•••
Everyone has their forte

I wouldn't advise going in 'Brandable' domains unless you have some good marketing background, enjoy Word-Art, perhaps a good understanding in behavioural-sciences, psychology and lets not forget technology awareness. Plenty of time to read up and study Trademark law and application. And finally are in domains for the long-game. Good domains for the whole business aren't 'Read' they are Recognised and yes, that includes wording not even out there yet

nope it is Not for the novice
You are very correct. Ability to think ahead of time

•••
ProAgent.com

I'm starting to see a lot of "pro" prefixed names on vans. Business identities like 'Proparts'. 'Proserve', 'Protools' even 'Probusiness'

•••
In my experience (and after having carefully analyzed thousands of sales) simply put: 2-word "brands" do far, far better than any other "brand" category - period.

Names like:
PracticePlus.com
LeaseGroup.com
InvestHub.com
ProAgent.com
PeakOne.com
AlianceShopping.com
MotionLab.com
they are not brandable domains.

•••
I get the feeling that a name is not brandable until you brand it. Examples are MicroSoft, Rolls-Royce, Johnny Walker, Goldman Sachs, Land Rover and Coca-Cola.

•••
I get the feeling that a name is not brandable until you brand it. Examples are MicroSoft, Rolls-Royce, Johnny Walker, Goldman Sachs, Land Rover and Coca-Cola.

Wouldn't that make ANY domain Brandable? Even xxyzzgqh.com? Brandable is a term referencing the future.

•••
Wouldn't that make ANY domain Brandable? Even xxyzzgqh.com? Brandable is a term referencing the future.
In theory, but I think they need to pass the radio test to make them memorable and brandable.

•••
•••
Personally, I have a feeling that the current definition of a liquid domain,
"Liquid Domains
Domain names for sale that have market liquidity: NN.com, CC.com, LL.com, CCC.com (price guide), LLL.com, NNN.com, NNNN.com, LLLL.com, etc'"
https://www.namepros.com/forums/liquid-domains.338/

will soon change to include NNNNN.coms & LLLLLcoms just by the way the market going..

As for "brandables" love to find a definition...personally, I find majority of brands have big budgets and or a great spin (sales pitch) to gettheri name out there! Kind of "selling the sizzle not the steak"

Statistically, I have better experiences with "liquid" than "brandables"domains, my long term portfolio is mainly liquid...which is just a personal choice.

•••

Names like:
PracticePlus.com
LeaseGroup.com
InvestHub.com
ProAgent.com
PeakOne.com
AlianceShopping.com
MotionLab.com

Those are great two letter domains but are they true brandables?

I always equate a true brandable as something made up where there is an extra letter or a variant of some kind. Like some posters already said..... word art.

I guess anything can be classed as a brandable but I consider a word like leafly as a true brandable. It has little to no meaning in the English language until you brand it.

I only own one true brandable and it's in my sig on the right.

•••
In theory, but I think they need to pass the radio test to make them memorable and brandable.

Google doesn't exactly pass this radio test? It's only after seeing the domain several times that you know how to spell it.

Last edited:
•••
Google doesn't exactly pass this radio test? It's only after seeing the domain several times that you know how to spell it.
If I heard it for the first time I would spell it exactly how it is. The correct spelling "googol" seems really oddball to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back