Dynadot

Does anyone know how long DNS host propagation takes at Cosmotown?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sam1234

Top Member
Impact
When I added a host at Epik it took about a minute to propagate to the entire world, but at Cosmotown it hasn't propagated at all. Does anyone know how long it usually takes with Cosmotown and if there is a way to speed it up?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Use DNSlookup to check the ttl value of your DNS records.
The TTL value is in seconds which decided how long you have wait for new DNS Records to propagate worldwide.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Use DNSlookup to check the ttl value of your DNS records.
So I notice the subdomains/hosts aren't updated with Cosmotown's DNS servers yet. Is the propagation time of ns1.example.com determined by the TTL value of example.com?

•••
Upvote 0
So I notice the subdomains/hosts aren't updated with Cosmotown's DNS servers yet. Is the propagation time of ns1.example.com determined by the TTL value of example.com?
The TTL value of the old record decided the propagation time. It decided how long time to wait before that records fade-out.

•••
Upvote 0
The TTL value of the old record decided the propagation time. It decided how long time to wait before that records fade-out.
Sorry to clarify, I just this evening added "ns1.example.com" as a host record on the domain "example.com", though "example.com" has been active for some time and DNS propagated a long time ago. There is no pre-existing record for the host record. This is somewhat different from editing the records on "example.com" (notice there is an option to edit records and also an option to add a host, or in my case a DNS glue record). I'm thinking Cosmo just doesn't update their DNS zones on their DNS servers very often maybe.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Gotta say that Cosmotown truly sucks as anything but a place to register and hold domains. Almost 24 hours later and the zones for my hosts aren't even on THEIR OWN DNS servers. Both the lack of response and the lack of DNS updates on their end is nothing short of shameful. Why would they offer the option to add a host if they can't push the host to their DNS?

•••
Upvote 0
Gotta say that Cosmotown truly sucks as anything but a place to register and hold domains. Almost 24 hours later and the zones for my hosts aren't even on THEIR OWN DNS servers. Both the lack of response and the lack of DNS updates on their end is nothing short of shameful. Why would they offer the option to add a host if they can't push the host to their DNS?
Regarding this comment I made, I had this wrong. Cosmotown is great. I misunderstood what glue records were for. I am very sorry to Cosmotown. Great registrar with great prices.

•••
Upvote 0
Regarding this comment I made, I had this wrong. Cosmotown is great. I misunderstood what glue records were for. I am very sorry to Cosmotown. Great registrar with great prices.
Notes on the side of your post.

Cosmotown provides enough value for the money.

I'll never understand why people go for lowest price but also expect highest performance. ( in general ; NOT about you @Sam1234). Also, lowest cost doesn't necessarily mean the guys don't give a f* about getting your stuff fixed. They might be working hard to do that and you might not know it. But there are constraints in such a case - due ito price. Such as not being able to hire 100s of support reps to serve you - for obvious reasons.

With low cost registrars, duh! you can't expect top service. And yes, you need to chill and wait sometimes. And technical issues WILL occur over time, just let them fix them. Anyone should have figured out this already by now. There's no thing such as free cheese.

I had the same discussions on NP over the years while Sav was growing and getting adopted.

People were complaining a lot. Instead of bashing the low cost registrar, how about asking support to fix things, and give them enough time to do that. Otherwise, you can always go to any established registrar and pay double, and enjoy their stability as well. You always get what you pay for.

Then when Sav changed interface, a LOT of issues happened. Everyone was pissed. I just told them - give Sav some time, this is not an easy task on their part. Took them one year but eventually all was fixed. I was unable to manage my domains for 2 weeks. I messaged support but didn't complain because I understood they made a leap forward. Haven't started complaining around the clock on NP although having thousands of domains locked in place for 2 weeks. No registrar is perfect. Then the thing was solved.

Same is with Cosmotown, or somewhat similar.

They are lowest cost, and growing. Support is good in my opinion, for this price definitely; although not fast (can't be as I said above, for obvious reason) but also not slower from other registrars in the same line. Support is perhaps the most expensive part of any tech service, and it doesn't fit in that reg fee. But they are willing to do the legwork and I'm happy with that.

I do have technical issues myself with Cosmotown from time to time. It doesn't take me by surprise. I just ask them to fix things and they fix them.

They obviously need to improve things, add new/ missing features as well. Side note I helped other registrars in the past to add good features for everyone's use. I always suggest features, fixes, bugs to registrars that are willing to put the work. I have the confidence that this smaller registrar will do what's needed to be done, given enough time.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back