IT.COM

Does a domain lose value if it was dropped?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Njtnelav

Established Member
Impact
This domain has been around since 2005, dropped in 2013 and i hand regd it in 2019.
Does this decrease its value? There's .org still available with same name tho

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This domain has been around since 2005, dropped in 2013 and i hand regd it in 2019.
Well, if it was in the graveyard for 6 years it probably wasn't worth much to start with.

•••
Well, if it was in the graveyard for 6 years it probably wasn't worth much to start with.
There must be a reason for that

•••
A good domain would normally be snapped right away. Sometimes good drops slip through the cracks but don't get unnoticed forever.
If the domain has remained unregistered for so long, it probably isn't much valuable.

A domain name doesn't become less valuable simply because it dropped. And just because a domain is registered doesn't mean it has any value. What I mean is, it can't lose value if there wasn't any in the first place :)

•••
A good domain would normally be snapped right away. Sometimes good drops slip through the cracks but don't get unnoticed forever.
If the domain has remained unregistered for so long, it probably isn't much valuable.

A domain name doesn't become less valuable simply because it dropped. And just because a domain is registered doesn't mean it has any value. What I mean is, it can't lose value if there wasn't any in the first place :)
Lmao ok ok, well, i'll call this "experiencing".

•••
What Kate said ... if a domain has been unregistered for a long time then there's probably a reason. Anything worth buying, even the stuff that slips through the cracks, get snapped up in a days... not years.

•••
Tough to say whether your domain has any value without knowing the name you've reg'd.

Generally speaking though, domains don't tend to lose value once dropped. When a domain drops, only the amount payed, and the birth year are lost. The latter of which is real whack, I know.

However, domains can still depreciate in value long after registration.

SCENARIO #1: Lets say, a domain sells for a high amount. The new buyer then is in urgent need of cash, and sells for whatever he can get - taking a loss. This domain in question has just lost value.

SCENARIO #2 (applicable to you): Let's also say that one of these transaction from scenario #1 were publicly reported on NameBio (welcome to your new best friend), which isn't uncommon. It is there for all to see, including any prospective buyer(s). They see it; they know what it's been bought for; and you can sure as hell bet they won't pay be paying full value for it. ... This was just an extreme case, but the seller's (reg'd & sold) domain in this second scenario will have lost value too. Although unlikely, it can happen.

To conclude, what's worth noting is that all domains were hand reg'd at one point in time. But the thing is, not all hand reg's are created equally. A domain reg'd in 2019 is not at all the same as a domain reg'd in 2009, or 1999 for that matter. The further you peel back the domain's age, the better it tends to look. That's not always true, but more often than not, it is.

Last edited:
•••

It's all about timing and what is trending. Look at it this way. What if someone purchased a bunch of "decent" ai names back in 2001 after watching the movie Matrix and reading a few articles about artificial intellects. Then in 2006 he dropped the names and no one scooped them up because they were not "good" names. Then in 2017 the topic of ai becames really hot! Those then "decent names" become very valuable and you purchased them. Would the fact that they were dropped and remained dead make them less available? Sure they may not be as valuable as they would be had they never dropped but the fact still remains that they are now very valuable.

This is common and happens all of the time. By the way, I sell "dropped names" for good money. It's all about timing.

•••
I would agree with those who say that it being dropped does not per se decrease value, although the fact that it has not been picked up for 6 years, and that the same term in .org is available, are not encouraging for valuation.

But really the fundamental question is always are there potential end users who would benefit from having the name. If you know of multiple potential users and for some of them at least using the name would add significant value for them, then the name is worth trying, at least for a year.

Very best of luck with it!

Bob

•••
Does this decrease its value?
Short answer: YES.

However, as with most things about domains, that's relative. Depends on each particular domain's history. Depends on your cost of registration vs acquisition price at expired domains auction. Depends on your sales strategy (inbound vs outbound). And finally, depends on the buyer and your negotiation skills.

Most domainers will tell you in one breath that a handreg is worthless and then that domain age doesn't matter. Go figure! For the record: I couldn't disagree more. But that's just me.

•••
Seen many sold from the pros that have drops and even multiple drops on them. Bend with the trends.

•••
Most domainers will tell you in one breath that a handreg is worthless and then that domain age doesn't matter. Go figure!

So true!

There are couple of other factors that can mean loss of value due to dropping and being re-registered:

1. Loss of links - some domains, even crappy ones, have SEO value because of all the links built up to them. Many believe that if a domain drops, even briefly, the SEO value is lost, though not the incoming traffic. If a domain is unregistered for some time, eventually all its incoming links will disappear as sites update.

2. Change of registrant - If a domain was registered before a TM was taken on the term, it usually can be successfully defended in a UDRP. But when the registrant changes, the ownership starts after trademark was registered making losing a UDRP very likely. If a registered domain changed registrant and the new registrant had WHOIS privacy on from the start, it is not easy to see that the registrant has changed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back