IT.COM

question Do you use Domain Privacy ?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain privacy ?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • YES, it is a must

votes
    55.9%
  • NO

votes
    33.8%
  • Sometimes

votes
    10.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I am just curious if I should use domain privacy or not.
I keep on reading about people that receive inbound e-mails, so I assume that someone actually do a whois on a domain ? Or when you say inbound you are just referring to a landing page where people actually sends you an e-mail ?!

Thank you,
Cristian

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I use it whenever it is free eg. at NameSilo and Dynadot

•••
•••
@Berk Fer yep I don't use Uni.. Also free at Epik and Porkbun

•••
Generally not but yes have quite a few domains that aren't advertised.

•••
Already Goddady provides to me domain privacy. I think its an importance to our domain.

•••
I don't use privacy for Whois. What if someone wants to buy a domain directly from you and they look up your who is and it is private? I have heard people complain about filling out forms. You can always have your domain listed under your LLC that way you do not get spammed on your personal number. This is just my opinion. A lot of people will disagree. I use Namesilo quite a bit and even though the whois privacy is free I change it to no privacy. Most of my domains are with Godaddy. i don't use privacy for any on there as well. My last buyer contacted me directly through my whois, not through my website or any other platform.

•••
I have used privacy for a while because I got tired of the spam. But I would actually prefer not to use it, so today I removed it from most of my domains. Within an hour I had the first email in my inbox offering "complete website services" from India...

So I guess privacy is coming back on again. Dynadot offers partial privacy that shows the registrant name/company name, but the rest is private. I think that is a good compromise.

Last edited:
•••
I am just curious if I should use domain privacy or not.
I keep on reading about people that receive inbound e-mails, so I assume that someone actually do a whois on a domain ? Or when you say inbound you are just referring to a landing page where people actually sends you an e-mail ?!

Thank you,
Cristian
Why should domain seller use privacy? :)

•••
•••
Dynadot support confirmed the other day that buyers are able to contact owners via email provided in Full Privacy details.

The message will just go through Dynadot internal system.

Hope the rep was competent.

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot support confirmed the other day that buyers are able to contact owners via email provided in Full Privacy details.

The message will just go through Dynadot internal system.

Hope the rep was competent.

same applies for epik

•••
I always use privacy on my domains. Recently I helped a friend acquire a domain and didn't think about the WHOIS record until I was spammed continuously by email AND phone for weeks! Hopefully you're not paying for privacy and if you are, move to Epik. Privacy is free!

•••
yes It's a must for me. Namecheap gives it free nowadays.

•••
Thank you for your input.
Although I have privacy, I do not know how I still get e-mails from all type of designers from India and such about my newly registered domain, that is still a mystery to me.

I get lots of emails from western countries too on my Indian site trying to sell various services such as article writing but they are mostly through my site's contact form.

•••
I am new to all this... But learning as I go. For my own site I use privacy, however, when I started buying domains on GD via auctions never had any issues with spammers. I also registered several domains at Dynadot and have a couple at Ionos and both give free privacy and I left it on.

But a month ago I bought my first name on DropCatch and as fast as it dropped into my NameBright account they provided- Holly Cow did I get slammed with hundreds of not stop phone calls all spoofed for various locations in US and some overseas number. At first I answered, but finally had to put my phone on do not disturb. NameBright does offer first year free privacy but its off by default. Based on your guys recommendation I did leave it off. What I can say is ever spammer that has called me has been from a domain I got from DropCatch that went to NameBrite.

I have picked up a few on Snap Names / NamesJet also, but not sure about them as my phone is still on Do Not Disturb.

The spammers even went a step further and started messaging me via FB and LI.

So my question is why would anyone do business with these spammer people? But obviously people do for them to keep it up this much.

But if privacy is on. And someone really wanted to buy my domain... Wouldn't they simply right the privacy contact which would then be forwarded to me?

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes, I use partial privacy from Dynadot. But I really don't know if this affects sales or not.

•••
I started using domain privacy again.

Today I received a call from +44 7537 152719 from a guy that had an Indian accent. Phone number is from UK.
He asked me if I know about Financial Marketing and if I wanted to learn more about it... wtf

•••
I changed my mind & no longer use privacy because I use my spam phone # & an email that's easy to sort. I WANT it to be easy to be contacted & verified. ALSO, not having privacy makes it easier to list on various sites. It's actually this last issue that's making me use GD less & less.... since they block everyone's WhoIs data for other companies EVEN when people haven't paid for privacy, so sometimes it makes it harder/more time consuming to get things verified==> using Epik more.

Last edited:
•••
If it is free, you might want to still not use it as you can get people to find you by having privacy off.

•••
So half my domains have privacy on half don’t. If it’s free I’ll leave it on. I find that almost all spam I get is after I win on DropCatch and they dump the names on namebrite. I took in over 150 names this month and everyone of them got spam emails, phone calls, linkedin spam, you name it. But it’s always the ones I win on drop catch going to namebrite. I started a new thing I now answer a phone and put it on mute. It’s funny listening to them in the background pissed I won’t respond. I tried blocking their numbers but these spammers must have hundreds of VoIP robot call numbers so it’s useless.

But if privacy was free I would have on all domains.

When I outbound a domain I find I have no issue contacting a domain owner, by contacting registrar. So I am sure others can contact me the same.

•••
Just starting using it on some domains to see it's impact.

•••
You totally need area security, however, you don't have to pay for it. Per ICANN rules, in the event that you give false data in your space enlistment, you can lose your area. I as of late enrolled an area without protection and I got such a great amount of spam from logo and website architecture organizations that it isn't justified, despite any potential benefits.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back