Dynadot

poll Do you think your portfolio site name is good?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think your portfolio site name is good?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Bad portfolio name but good portfolio

votes
    5.6%
  • Bad portfolio name and bad portfolio

votes
    4.2%
  • Good portfolio name and bad portfolio

votes
    2.8%
  • Good portfolio name and good porftolio

votes
    59.2%
  • I don't use a portfolio site for my names

votes
    28.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
How do you think your portfolio site name is, with respect to your portfolio?

By portfolio site name, I mean, the website you use to showcase your portfolio.
I see many members use a portfolio site name in their signature to showcase their domain names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I use www. Dobermain.com...it is a play on words of Doberman and Domain.

•••
XYZIT.XYZ my pure .xyz domain portfolio, XYZ(adjective: young and fun)+IT = Let's xyz it! or XYZ(noun: 3D space & dimensions)+ IT (info tech).

•••
Still early but nobody has said they think they have a bad portfolio name. I got NameBlitz for myself and I like it. I guess you can say I make it quick and easy to get a domain name...lol

•••
I've been thinking about portfolio sites, sorry if this is kind of off-topic. I realized that unless someone has reseller prices, or SUPER high-end names, I don't really see the purpose in having one / or at least putting much thought into it (I guess this is kind of relevant to the naming / finding a great brand for it.)

If someone is looking for a name for their ice cream company, unless I have a portfolio filled with ice-cream related domains, what value does a portfolio site serve other than vanity? (Genuinely asking!)

Is someone really going to end up on a landing page for one of my domains that they were specifically looking for by typing it in, and end up buying a different one from my portfolio at end-user pricing? It just seems so incredible unlikely that it's not worth even thinking twice about. On top of that, it seems a certain amount of portfolio sites look quite "cheap", poorly designed, very ugly logos for names etc - to a point where I wonder if they'd just be better off without.

It seems portfolio sites are good for other domainers to look at, for example reseller pricing, but it seems kind of irrelevant for end-users. Would love to hear some thoughts on this, if it's not a thread hi-jack. I'm sure people with huge portfolio sites will have great analytics data on the funnel (ex: someone lands on a page for domain X, visits portfolio, ends up buying domain Y.)

I think this thread is interesting. I think if someone doesn't have a GREAT name for their portfolio, it's going to reflect on the rest of their names. Poor portfolio name, poor logos, poor design of the website, will cheapen GREAT names. Maybe not, just my inkling..

•••
I've been thinking about portfolio sites, sorry if this is kind of off-topic. I realized that unless someone has reseller prices, or SUPER high-end names, I don't really see the purpose in having one / or at least putting much thought into it (I guess this is kind of relevant to the naming / finding a great brand for it.)

If someone is looking for a name for their ice cream company, unless I have a portfolio filled with ice-cream related domains, what value does a portfolio site serve other than vanity? (Genuinely asking!)

Is someone really going to end up on a landing page for one of my domains that they were specifically looking for by typing it in, and end up buying a different one from my portfolio at end-user pricing? It just seems so incredible unlikely that it's not worth even thinking twice about. On top of that, it seems a certain amount of portfolio sites look quite "cheap", poorly designed, very ugly logos for names etc - to a point where I wonder if they'd just be better off without.

It seems portfolio sites are good for other domainers to look at, for example reseller pricing, but it seems kind of irrelevant for end-users. Would love to hear some thoughts on this, if it's not a thread hi-jack. I'm sure people with huge portfolio sites will have great analytics data on the funnel (ex: someone lands on a page for domain X, visits portfolio, ends up buying domain Y.)

I think this thread is interesting. I think if someone doesn't have a GREAT name for their portfolio, it's going to reflect on the rest of their names. Poor portfolio name, poor logos, poor design of the website, will cheapen GREAT names. Maybe not, just my inkling..

For me I don't expect someone I'd just going to type it in and start searching my domains. I got it for a few reasons.

1) it is a business and one that specializes in domain names so I think it'd be odd to not have some sort of website. And at the very least even if I wasn't going to build it I would want the domains so someone else dosent get it (or them as the case may be with multiple tlds.)

2) to host my own custom landing pages so that I can make them how I want, control what info I collect, own my own data, and avoid commissions on sales from traffic my names are brining in on their own.

3) I am building out my own custom control panel to manage my domains so I can piggyback off my domain to host that as well.

Last edited:
•••
@Ryan217 That sounds awesome I hope I'll have the opportunity to check it out once it's live!

•••
Just trying to figure out what Ads & threads would work, it's kind of feel warm to see the statistics.
upload_2020-5-22_4-11-42.png

Last edited:
•••
I use www. Dobermain.com...it is a play on words of Doberman and Domain.

Good evening,

I should have added that this is my Marketplace name at Efty rather than an independent stand alone website. I would definitely recommend Efty.

•••
If you haven't secured a decent name for your portfolio yet, you really cannot consider yourself a serious domainer. Because, as soon as you become serious, you will realize that satisfaction with your main portfolio domain is a big deal. You need to establish your brand and feel satisfied with what it conveys. YOU need that confidence which comes with a good brand.

•••
Presently I use NameCape.com
planning to switch to NameProfi.com

Which is better of the two names?

•••
If you haven't secured a decent name for your portfolio yet, you really cannot consider yourself a serious domainer. Because, as soon as you become serious, you will realize that satisfaction with your main portfolio domain is a big deal. You need to establish your brand and feel satisfied with what it conveys. YOU need that confidence which comes with a good brand.
Agree 1000%

•••
the best name (and place) for your portfolio - Is always going to be a 'Successful' domain resellers site - why show somebody all your muck in one page (or five) in one go. they'all miss the wood for the trees

Let them find the Oysters - as a stand alone - No point in highlighting your domain weaknesses in one show. That's going to undermine even your best chance of showing you know what your doing. Yes of course those with massive self-belief will disagree.

But we are not all Buy-domains dot com. Self hosted domain selling sites are for the experienced. Not for the hopeful. So many times you'll read of fairly good domains - Go to sellers homepage - and think what the F**K -

Don't obscure a one-off good domain in your self-beliefs is my advice

Last edited:
•••
I haven't developed my site yet but I thought it would be a good idea to have my names on their own landers and have them set up with links to any relevant names in that niche only.

I think that would give you additional chances of selling a name if they did not like the one they originally landed on.

Also as mentioned, you would get access to all of the data concerning visits.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Do you have a vested interest in your response post ?

YEP big time 1000% :-P

Last edited:
•••
Presently I use NameCape.com
planning to switch to NameProfi.com

Which is better of the two names?
First one is better, I say you keep that and dont change.

•••
By: Ryan217 | 1 Disagree.

No problem Ryan217 - I've reciprocated. If you think portfolio site names/domains have an influence on domain sales. Then maybe there's nothing wrong in tying to sell trash to bin liners either.

Maybe one day they'll listen ;)

If you don't understand about separating the Wheat from the Chaff, I can't help you. Why position yourself into an all encompassing corner unnecessarily. -- As you propose, unless your tying to sell domain collection/portfolio domains

Last edited:
•••
How do you think your portfolio site name is, with respect to your portfolio?

By portfolio site name, I mean, the website you use to showcase your portfolio.
I see many members use a portfolio site name in their signature to showcase their domain names.
I have good names and marketplace name, I am redesigning it now and is currently offline

•••
By: Ryan217 | 1 Disagree.

No problem Ryan217 - I've reciprocated. If you think portfolio site names/domains have an influence on domain sales. Then maybe there's nothing wrong in tying to sell trash to bin liners either.

Maybe one day they'll listen ;)

If you don't understand about separating the Wheat from the Chaff, I can't help you. Why position yourself into an all encompassing corner unnecessarily. -- As you propose

Simple fix don't keep bad domains in your portfolio. But what do I know.

Last edited:
•••
I see you've edited your post above. and so you should - by all means go on the defense/counter when you know what what your doing

And No my egos fine - I really don't have anything to prove - A couple of hundred thousand dollars of sales (lots of expense though) You read like a lot of 'I know everything' in 6 months - no problem with me

You fire away. Probably only another 6 months before your spent anyway

Last edited:
•••
You read like a lot of I know everything in 6 months - no problem with me

You fire away. Probably only another 6 months before your spent

What can I say I've always been a fast learner. 😁

And even though I've only been actively buying for the past 9 months I've done plenty of reading (and listening) before I even bought the first name in my portfolio and I continue to. And no I don't know everything, but what I have done has worked so far. As for the future nobody knows but looks well. I'm looking to ramp up and expand my small portfolio just as soon as I finish the tooling to help me run my domain business, and yes that includes my own portfolio site.

Last edited:
•••
I recently launched a simple but effective portfolio site at domains88 com.

I like the portfolio name and like my domains.

I built it mainly for my own use. Simple, clear, and interconnected with my Afternic landers, etc.

I like it because I use excel to manage my domains and now my site, afternic, sedo, etc are a simple upload. Keeps all my domains priced consistently and super easy to update considering all the info I like to track.

Took me several years to perfect my sheets, my uploads, my renewals, erc.

Really happy to have one, simple, central place.

I've been toying with offering discounts if purchased through my site, preferred escrow, etc.

I do agree that most all sales occur on major platforms but, as was mentioned, I treat my domain investing as a business and like having my own site in addition to using the main sites.

So I voted Like my portfolio site name and like my portfolio.

•••
•••
•••
Back