Domain Empire

poll Do you think majority of your sales are luck?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think majority of your sales are luck?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No. It's my hard work

votes
    30.0%
  • Yes. I find it a matter of luck

votes
    10.0%
  • I think it's a mix of both

votes
    60.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Ever sold your domains and thought that many of them were a matter of luck?
Or do you think you put in hard work to either acquire those domains and/or to sell it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is hard to build a repeatable business model on luck.

Brad

•••
Or do you think you put in hard work to either acquire those domains and/or to sell it?

do you think its luck when u get promoted at your job, or is it because you worked there for years, gained experience, and got good at what you do.

its identical for domaining. just as for everything in life.

it only seems like luck when we begin. we say we are unlucky when we have no sales.. or lucky when we get a sale. with motnhs and years of experience and hard work, not only we no longer ask ourselves if its luck or not, but we develop intuition for domaining.

its all entirely based on experience. like everything in life.

there is no quick easy money in domaining. what u get out is directly proportional to effort you put in.

enjoy.
:)

•••

It's definitely good luck...the kind that results from sleepless nights, a long trail of ridiculous mistakes and a good dose of sweat equity. :xf.grin:

•••
I voted my hard work but there is a small luck element. The luck part is also the skill part that you had the thought to obtain the very name someone else wants before someone else does.

You could also say the luck part has to do with timing. Domainer A registers and holds blah name for 8 years. I buy the name on expired auction and it sells a year later. True story that happens all the time.

•••
I voted my hard work but there is a small luck element. The luck part is also the skill part that you had the thought to obtain the very name someone else wants before someone else does.

You could also say the luck part has to do with timing. Domainer A registers and holds blah name for 8 years. I buy the name on expired auction and it sells a year later. True story that happens all the time.

In other words...
Business Acumen + Hard Work = Luck

•••
I've been in profit for 9 years in a row.
I've had some lucky events and some bad luck.
But at the end of the day I think I've visited this forum all days in the last 12 years, I've checked the drops quite all days, etc.
It's hard to call it just luck. It's mainly daily work results

•••
•••
These threads you post are clickbait nonsense.

You are wasting the time of people that have great experience asking fluff questions and regurgitated content from older threads.

I'm reporting the thread.

•••
Investor to investor = very little luck involved
End user sales = luck doesn't hurt

•••
Luck is that there is an interest but there is skill in retaining margins.

•••
The luck part is also the skill part that you had the thought to obtain the very name someone else wants before someone else does.
This says it all(y)

•••
•••
•••
I voted both.

I totally agree with those who say you should view your activities, even if doing it as side gig or hobby, as a business. Carefully track your metrics, set goals, have a business plan, be professional and organized. I also agree that more success, in general, comes to those who spend a huge amount of time trying to secure the best acquisitions at the best prices, and doing the research to price them right.

All that being said, there is also the luck that you must come within the realm of someone who wants that domain name. Yes, you can with effective listing, perhaps outbound, social media, connections etc. increase your 'luck' on that, but nevertheless some great names happen to be strongly wanted by someone and others just end up unlucky.

In golf a skilled golfer is much more likely to get a hole in one, although anyone that can drive the length, has the possibility of having one. Those who steadily have success in major domain sales clearly are more skilled. That said, sometimes a highly skilled golfer can nonetheless play a lifetime of golf without a hole in one.

Bob

PS I really like this quote that @bmugford shared above: "“Luck Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Last edited:
•••
These threads you post are clickbait nonsense.

You are wasting the time of people that have great experience asking fluff questions and regurgitated content from older threads.

I'm reporting the thread.
There is so much to read. If you don't like something, you can ignore! And I mean no disrespect!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back