IT.COM

discuss Do you think brokers are overly aggressive that scares buyers off?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've received a low 5 figure minimum offer for a 4L domain name via Afternic. GoDaddy left me several messages to make sure I respond to the offer. After I talked to the agent and told him I wasn't going to sell it cheap. Because the offer was made via the website, the agent told me he left several message to the buyer and no response.

The buyer made one counter offer and left the negotiation.

Looking back, I think the broker called too many times and scared the buyer off. Do you think brokers and agents often too aggressive to make the sale?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I very much agree, also think that's too aggressive. A professional broker with a good number of deals and years behind would never do that. Most likely you were not lucky, and simply that broker/agent was either not experienced or for whatever reason too keen to do a deal (which sometimes could be much worse than not having any experience in selling domains).

Last edited:
•••
I would not blame the broker in this scenario. You are asking for 5 figures and it was likely a tire kicker. 5 figure sales and up need just the right buyer.

•••
Looking back, I think the broker called too many times and scared the buyer off. Do you think brokers and agents often too aggressive to make the sale?

I recently listed several of my better names with Afternic and an offer came in on a name within a few days.

They sent me an email saying I needed to set max, reserve, etc info within 48 hours to keep their site 'robust'. I did so and let them know that the numbers had been added. Since that time a week ago I've gotten crickets from them despite my reaching out 3 separate times to get an update.

The buyer eventually reached out to me via a 'who is' search and made an offer after seeing the pricing change/addition. I did not want to ask them if/what has been their involvement with Afternic has been. I will give Afternic to the end of day tomorrow to respond to me or I will sell the name using my own payment processor.

In my case, I want/wanted more involvement.

•••
I was dealing with a broker a few days ago and the experience was not pleasant.

We were negotiating a purchase a few weeks ago and I made a substantial offer.
The broker declined my offer and a week later I increased my offer by 10k which was also declined.

Two weeks later I offered another 15k and the broker said he would think about it.

Out of the blue the broker called and said lets make the deal, to which I said no problems let me finish up my day at the office and I will call you tonight. To which he responded that I need to make the deal there and then, his time is money, it's now or never. I said ok you have a deal but I need to contact you tonight to put it together. He got very gruff with me and said right now or never your call.

I repeated that I was at the office with a client and he started to spurt obscenities at which time I hung up.

Definitely an over aggressive broker who just lost his client the deal.

•••
My worst experience brokers happens to be Uni brokers; they are overbearing; relentless.

In my opinion, avoid Uni brokers at all costs;
Hopefully, GD revamps Uni’s broker system; Uniregistry brokers need to learn how to chill

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion, avoid Uni brokers at all costs;
Hopefully, GD revamps Uni’s broker system; Uniregistry brokers need to learn how to chill

100% can relate.

Especially GoDaddy aftermarket -- I wanted to buy a pure Geo domain a couple months back for my business. It was WAY TOO OVERPRICED.

They were too inexperienced in the negotiation process. But I guess if it was put on Sedo the owner would have got a deal, I heard their brokers are more experienced in the nego process, they leave adequate room to negotiate. GD brokers didn't communicate nor negotiate properly -- WORST brokers, avoid them at all costs!

Last edited:
•••
I have emails from brokers that burn every potential sale offered. They are wasting their time and stop me from being able to buy due to their dishonest statistics. Every email they send claims search results in google could easily be yours. Eg 200k of traffic but when you actually look there are only 30 exact searches in a month. Each day i get emails full of lies so will never buy from them and nor will anyone that knows they can't tell truth.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back