Domain Empire

Do you sell domains or hope, dream, and pray?

NameSilo
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
There are two types of people on the forums: Those who sell at realistic, liquid prices... and those who entertain the notion that a domain they bought for $xxx will allow them to retire.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Me too. I hold MBA degree but I enjoy doing domaining. Its requires hard work and patience (when none of your domain sold in a month or two).

So true. I've made 2 purchases and 1 sale this month! It's been slow. :(

•••
Hello,

I don't know if my prices are realistic, but I currently sell 5-10 domains a month, so at least some people seems to think so. My average sale is not that high though, about $500. I am no domain king who can rely on just one sale a year ;)

I try not to overprice my domains, but I'm positive that many domainers would say that at least my ngTLDs are overpriced (or even worthless).

•••
•••
Hello,

I don't know if my prices are realistic, but I currently sell 5-10 domains a month, so at least some people seems to think so. My average sale is not that high though, about $500. I am no domain king who can rely on just one sale a year ;)

I try not to overprice my domains, but I'm positive that many domainers would say that at least my ngTLDs are overpriced (or even worthless).

I would say 5-10 domains is pretty solid! I would guess the majority of your domains are priced well. :)

I prayed.

:P

•••
Everyday, every opportunity, and best of all it works.

•••
Hae to respectfully disagree with you Ali. If the numbers are right and we know what we're doing, then domaining has proved to be a lottery for many.

I can see where you would be coming from! It has been a wonderful experience for me!

When I say "lottery" I mean blindly walking into the store, buying a ticket and hoping and praying you have the right numbers. Which domaining is not.

When you have a solid fundamental understanding of the value in and of domain names, it then becomes a poker game, not a lottery. With poker, it takes patience, strategy, timing and a speck of luck. You wait for the right hands, you pay properly for them and then you find your buyer ;) That my friend, takes a lot of hard work and determination, not as simple as winning the lottery.

Don't get me wrong though... i'm sure it happens quite often when someone takes a risk, and it pays off big time... but more often than not it was a calculated risk. :xf.grin:

PS: Loved your Perception.com. Wish you all the best with it mate.

Thank you!!

•••
I can see where you would be coming from! It has been a wonderful experience for me!

When I say "lottery" I mean blindly walking into the store, buying a ticket and hoping and praying you have the right numbers. Which domaining is not.

When you have a solid fundamental understanding of the value in and of domain names, it then becomes a poker game, not a lottery. With poker, it takes patience, strategy, timing and a speck of luck. You wait for the right hands, you pay properly for them and then you find your buyer ;) That my friend, takes a lot of hard work and determination, not as simple as winning the lottery.

Don't get me wrong though... i'm sure it happens quite often when someone takes a risk, and it pays off big time... but more often than not it was a calculated risk. :xf.grin:

Thank you!!

Well said!

•••
selling domains on forums is a way to never make any good money.

•••
If you guys look inside the Domain Appraisal forum, you can see examples of people who are of the hope, dream, and pray type. :D

•••
There are two types of people on the forums: Those who sell at realistic, liquid prices... and those who entertain the notion that a domain they bought for $xxx will allow them to retire.

I think that in the gray-shaded world we live in you'll find more than two types of people at this forum. The domaining gene isn't like the sex-determination gene, where two Xs results in a female, and an X and a Y result in a male (and that's what you get: one or the other).

There are indeed a lot of seriously out-to-lunch dreamers here, hoping to get something for nothing. There are some people here who aren't opposed to working hard for a decent return on the time and effort they put in. There are many people who do a little of both. I recommend doing a little of both. And when you first start domaining, a little dreaming is inevitable as you go through the process of figuring out how domaining works in the real world.

I see domaining as an art, with one very pleasant difference between it and traditional arts: you can actually make money at it.

•••

Thank you!!

Thanks Ali for your descriptive reply, appreciate it and agree with it.

Actually I would refer to this in general:

When you have a solid fundamental understanding of the value in and of domain names,

Just like what I have mentioned that when a person knows his game, he can make things turn to his benefit. Be it lottery, Poker, Jackpot, whatever, in the end, it's a win win for the seller, lol. Not neglecting the fact that patience and hard work goes side by side during the whole process.

Cheers,

•••
•••
Domaining is a strategy that 'you' define based on 'experience' - your own experience and not based on experience of others. If you read the post every seller, you will be 'totally lost'. What has worked for others may or will probably not work for you. Every seller should understand market, what kind of names can sell, what types of names they should be investing it. One cannot follow others thinking what they are doing, I am going to do the same thing.

Domaining is definitely not a jar with number of tickets and you are thinking that one of them may be a 'winner'. If you are thinking like that, that means you did not have a plan while putting the tickets in the jar. If you have a plan in place, then all those tickets should be of close range of value. It is just matter of time which one gets picked up first. Good thing is that one ticket alone can pay for rest of the tickets with more than change in your pocket.

•••
I think domaining is not a lottery or a rocket science. But is like work at home.

If you are sincere to the work, Work will be sincere to you.
This perfectly suits for domaining.

On the luck part, it is very rare. (May be 1% of domainer's are lucky)

Here I can share my few experiences.

1) I hand reggd Rushh.com 12 years ago and it was appraised by more than two dozen of people as 0 to reg fee. But it was sold to $1200 in few months. So don't rely on appraisals.

2) I registered MesotheliomaNewyork.com and sold for $1500. 3 law companies were in queue but 2 said their target is $1,000 only. (end user - LawFirm)
I registered Mesothelioma.org and forgot to renew. But then it was asked for $1000 and I paid additional charges around $250 and renew and then sold it (end user - LawFirm).
At the same time My MesotheliomaTexas.com sold for $60 only !! (Reseller)

3) I bought Slyco.com for low price and now being offered $1000 in less than 3 days. I hope to hold it for future profit since there are lot of companies in that name.

So Below are my suggestions

Be sincere - Don't pray for luck

Always keep some reserve money for renewal

Try to hold brandables ( 3 to 6 character ) as it has huge re-sale value in coming years.

Don't be lazy. List your domains everywhere for sale. If it is sold properly remove it from all places.

If you believe any domain is of no use, don't simply let it expire. Put it at NP or ebay auction with start price as $ 1. It may earn you few dollars and I got some expiring names sold for $100 in these auctions.

If luck comes to you, don't be too greedy. Be moderate and grab it.

Never be a victim of paid appraisal scams.

Don't think you know everything. Every day is a learning.

Last but not least. Giving advise is easy. Following is difficult.:lookaround:

•••
I think domaining is not a lottery or a rocket science. But is like work at home.

If you are sincere to the work, Work will be sincere to you.
This perfectly suits for domaining.

On the luck part, it is very rare. (May be 1% of domainer's are lucky)

Here I can share my few experiences.

1) I hand reggd Rushh.com 12 years ago and it was appraised by more than two dozen of people as 0 to reg fee. But it was sold to $1200 in few months. So don't rely on appraisals.

2) I registered MesotheliomaNewyork.com and sold for $1500. 3 law companies were in queue but 2 said their target is $1,000 only. (end user - LawFirm)
I registered Mesothelioma.org and forgot to renew. But then it was asked for $1000 and I paid additional charges around $250 and renew and then sold it (end user - LawFirm).
At the same time My MesotheliomaTexas.com sold for $60 only !! (Reseller)

3) I bought Slyco.com for low price and now being offered $1000 in less than 3 days. I hope to hold it for future profit since there are lot of companies in that name.

So Below are my suggestions

Be sincere - Don't pray for luck

Always keep some reserve money for renewal

Try to hold brandables ( 3 to 6 character ) as it has huge re-sale value in coming years.

Don't be lazy. List your domains everywhere for sale. If it is sold properly remove it from all places.

If you believe any domain is of no use, don't simply let it expire. Put it at NP or ebay auction with start price as $ 1. It may earn you few dollars and I got some expiring names sold for $100 in these auctions.

If luck comes to you, don't be too greedy. Be moderate and grab it.

Never be a victim of paid appraisal scams.

Don't think you know everything. Every day is a learning.

Last but not least. Giving advise is easy. Following is difficult.:lookaround:

Good points!

•••
I sell whatever the buyer is buying.

•••
Nice, i would love to make a living out of domaining, but i'm not quite there yet.
I do feel hard work is starting to pay off, just being involved in the community helps a lot !

•••

Excellent post! I should have fought a little harder for this one, though I was dissuaded by the fact that bb turned it down, but it just goes to show and more or less reaffirms what you've said.

•••
Excellent post! I should have fought a little harder for this one, though I was dissuaded by the fact that bb turned it down, but it just goes to show and more or less reaffirms what you've said.

Sure buddy. Namepros accepted slyco (.) Com for top domain listing and BrandDo accepted with suggestion for minimum price as 2,000 and I have not accepted it. Also already namerific accepted this name. So confidence is must.

•••
Till the time I get 100% profit and there is cash flow I don't mind selling the domains for a cheaper price (as compared to the market value) :):)

•••

I did Right
Just yesterday I sold 2 expiring domains ( Macau.vacations & Macau.condos ) for $100 via auction. I bought it for $1 few months back.

Wrong Point - Laziness

The domains were actually expiring in 5 days and I did put for NP auction & also contacted macau.domains owner who actually owns around 150 macau domains. Finally it went to $100. (The low price is due to high renewal fees $140 each ). The last minute effort I put should have been made earlier, to secure good price around $500.

Moral : Start selling domains the day you bought

This is my own thought / experience and welcome any ideas / opinions

•••
The first several months of my domaining experience was spent hoping, dreaming, and praying. I had made a few XXX sales from endusers contacting me through the WHOIS info, and a few XX sales on NP for quick cash.

Then, I moved out of my hometown and into my car to travel and domain on the road. Being on a budget, my domain sales thoughts were all about quick turnovers. Mind you. my domains are Hand Regs, so I'm looking for at the very least 10X if not 100X.

After registering a domain, last month, I was contacted by an interested buyer and I offered him a quick sale price of $420. He dragged his feet until a contract was drafted, and wanted me to sign it and get it notarized. With all that being said he included a sale date for a few weeks out (apparently when he had the money to pay) and being on the road I wasn't willing to jump through those hoops since it wasn't a quick sale in my eyes.

In the midst of this negotiation, I made my first $X,XXX sale that puts me in a position value my domains appropriately. Part of me being on the road is to build a physical boots on the ground domain sales force (if possible) so I will need inventory.

With all this being said, the potential buyer now has the funds to purchase the domain. He has gotten threatening in the emails, in that we had an agreement for the day set in his contract. No contracts were signed. Am I liable to sell to him if he agreed via email on a price? (timeline was never agreed upon)

And going back to the profit is profit motto, even if I'm not liable to sell this domain, should I close on $420?

•••
Holding some for investments,I'm in it for the long run.Good questions but we all have different mindset.Domain is not for faint hearted people.Most who expect a quick ROI in 24 hrs or a week but end up disappointed are easy to know from what they post on the forum.

•••
Yes, you can also have a few different strategies going at the same time...price some to sell, go big on others, run a few auctions, try flippa with a few...your business > your strategy!

•••
Because I don't see how selling names at liquid prices will ever let me retire.

I sell The Dream that makes the domain a doorway to a life the buyer hopes to live.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back