NameSilo

Do you need trademark to sell domain for big money

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Let's say you have eu domain that is not active and let's say it's not generic one like games, hotels etc. Is it possible to sell this domain for big money (10 000€-100 000€ ) if you don't have trademark. Why should someone pay so much for domain if he can register trademark (or he already has trademark) and get this domain through adr or court. Is it correct.
Can you recommend me where i can ask for legal advice.
Thank you

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No.
Trademarks are not retroactive. In other words I cannot file for a TM than take the domain away from you... that you may have held for many years before. However, even without a TM, somebody could sue you if they feel you have registered a name in bad faith or that it is confusingly similar to their existing trade name and that you are abusing their name for profit.
Trademarks are for defensive purposes (in the future), and they do not necessarily confer absolute protection. It's just an added layer of security.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back