NameSilo

Do you like IDNs or ccTLDs better?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Hurley4540

Account Closed
Impact
I myself prefer ccTLDs way better....probably because English is my first language and I see no point or worth in IDNs...although there has been some really nice IDN sales I just dont get the point of these domains.....

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seeing many posts I am able to see that you're a newbie.... English cctlds worldwide? You must be a genius thinking you can go to any country in the world and speak english.

•••
i owned cctld before in my own country never tried idn so i can't comment on idn, but for now Im happy with my .com's and next thing im gonna explore most probably are still cctld first

•••
People like hurley keep the registries and registrars rich

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
Seeing many posts I am able to see that you're a newbie.... English cctlds worldwide? You must be a genius thinking you can go to any country in the world and speak english.

I know I am a newbie.....slowly learning :O
And I know you can not speak English everywhere.
I guess thats where these come in......foreign keyboards would type these in instead of english........ :bingo:

I am a newb but trying to learn ;)

DNWizardX9 said:
People like hurley keep the registries and registrars rich

Hey man...dont be hating....I'm a newbie in domaining and trying to learn :)

•••
and learning starts here on namepros
don't be upset with comments like this
just learn and learn

Hurley4540 said:
I know I am a newbie.....slowly learning :O
And I know you can not speak English everywhere.
I guess thats where these come in......foreign keyboards would type these in instead of english........ :bingo:

I am a newb but trying to learn ;)

Hey man...dont be hating....I'm a newbie in domaining and trying to learn :)

•••
I know, not upset, just stating ;)

•••
ccTLDs and IDNs really should not be compared at all.

ccTLDs refer to a specific country.

IDNs refer to a specific language and can be used with a bunch of different extensions, even some ccTLDs.

•••
Yes, but asking people which they like better or prefer to use or reg...

•••
Hurley4540 said:
Yes, but asking people which they like better or prefer to use or reg...

I have never regged an IDN, not because i cant but because lack of knowledge. IDNs will screw you if you don't do research on the name or you don't speak the language you are regging. Misunderstandings of names is rampant with new IDN investors.

As far as ccTLDs go, i like them a lot. They are fun to speculate with, my favorite would have to be .in ;)

•••
I love .ins too, mostly lll.ins......but a little high reg fee....

•••
Great Question:

There is a lot of confusion of what IDNs are.

IDNs are currently a domain name that can be registered in a foreign language with an extension following it. For example เพลงไทย.net is a domain meaning 'thai songs' in the thai language. Right now there isn't much happening with this domain, as with many of the IDNs, they are currently just being held by their owners to be cashed in later or monetized. Some IDNs are parked and some developed. People are making money with IDNs at this time, partly due to development and partly due to the infiltration of firefox and IE7 into the marketplace.

Also, there are lots of naysayers, bluffers, and frankly those a little bit paranoid of IDNs -- especially those highly invested in ascii that get traffic from foreign countries. In fact there are many trying to forestall the broad acceptance of IDNs, which is unfortunate for both domainers and non-english speaking peoples.

Some have blamed Microsoft (delaying it's push of IE7), others have blamed ASCII domainers who don't want to see themselves loosing a foothold in their markets, some think of IDNs as phishing domains -- which they aren't in general. Also there are those that just turn a blind eye to IDNs and focus on the hot domain format of the day, week or year which is fine...to each his own.

But it really doesn't matter, because this 'lack of understanding', 'bluffing' and 'misrepresenting' IDNs has enabled many of us to take our time and reg some pretty good names.

If you are really interested in IDNs, why don't you go ahead and reg one in the language of your choice...develop it and reap the rewards....

:kickass:

•••
Although I'm not a big fan of IDNs, I do have many IDNs in .TV.

I still have a question for the IDNers.

IDN is a name which is represented using native characters, like 中国.com (China.com).

Now my question is, a person capable of typing .com/.net/.tv (or any other ASCII extensions) must know English, and why does he need to type native characters and an ASCII extension? This is very strange and practically an useless option IMO, whether the extension is .com or .net or .tv or any other ASCII extension.

IDN.IDN is the right choice, again IMO.

Another question regarding Arabic/Farsi/Urdu IDNs:
Arabic/Farsi/Urdu language is written from right to left. Appending an extension at the beginning of a word looks unrealistic.

كرة قدم.com is just like writing llabtoof.com

Also, the user has write the entire Arabic/Farsi/Urdu word and he has to append the extension at the starting of the word, which is a tedious process IMO. Instead he may use football.ae (Arabic) or football.ir (Farsi) or football.pk (Urdu), which is very easy to write, again IMO.

Different opinions are welcome!

•••
Just wondering how old hurley is...
There is something called common sense..

.tv said:
Now my question is, a person capable of typing .com/.net/.tv (or any other ASCII extensions) must know English, and why does he need to type native characters and an ASCII extension?
So all these years you're basically saying those in other countries are not allowed to use the internet?

There were three basic extensions .com .net .org... They have to remember what three letters to press on the keyboard.

btw Japan uses search and not type in... this is due to them not knowing english very well and also domain names not available in their language til now

Learning .idn will take a while but native language word before the .com in japanese etc is a hit... The .com has power while the word would have meaning.

Last edited:
•••
DNWizardX9 said:
So all these years you're basically saying those in other countries are not allowed to use the internet?

You misuderstood. I did not say people in Non-English speaking countries are not allowed to use the internet.

What I'm asking is, if a person is capable typing .com (or whatever ascii extension it is), should know or should be capable of understanding English.

Instead of using a mixed combination, like nativelanguage.ascii extension, better they use ascii.ascii (or) IDN.IDN, IMO.

DNWizardX9 said:
btw Japan uses search and not type in... this is due to them not knowing english very well and also domain names not available in their language til now

Strange...

Do you really think people from Japan navigate to Google.co.jp from search results?

As per Alexa ranking, Yahoo.co.jp is the Japan's no.1 website based on traffic estimates. Do you think people from Japan navigate to Yahoo.co.jp from search results and not through direct type-ins?

Why there is not even a single IDN.com/IDN.net or even IDN.cctld in country wide top 100 domains list for China or Japan?

Why companies like Baidu, Yahoo, Google, MSN etc don't offer their services through IDN names?

•••
Pay attention:

They don't need to know "english" to memorize a few three letter acronyms.... its like the chinese focusing their sites on NNN, NNNN domains..... Chinese don't use non number domains as much cause they are hard for chinese people to remember.

Japanese people can remember basics... They aren't dumb.... They know .com .net .org but to say they know english fluently based on that?? come on.... use that brain... They'll type the yahoo.co.jp domain in and bookmark it... They base their surfing habits on bookmarking and searching and not direct type in... There are a few japanese idn investors in tokyo that have told us these facts many times.

What "domain" lists are you talking about? Alexa?? Alexa is in english and is geared towards webmasters.... To think that an average Japanese web surfer would install alexa is funny.

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
Pay attention:

Japanese people can remember basics... They aren't dumb.... They know .com .net .org but to say they know english fluently based on that?? come on.... use that brain... They'll type the yahoo.co.jp domain in and bookmark it... They base their surfing habits on bookmarking and searching and not direct type in... There are a few japanese idn investors in tokyo that have told us these facts many times.

Thanks for sharing the uncommon fact!

It is inferred from your post that Yahoo Japan, receives Japanese traffic **ONLY** from bookmarks and not from type-ins. :D

A person who uses a computer, and Internet should capable of understand and use English to some extent (No need to be a fluent), whether he is a Japanese or a Chinese.

Last edited:
•••
Again good questions....

It is a good point regarding IDN.IDN, IDN.ascii and ascii.ascii

ICANN is on the fast track to develope IDN.IDN and russia may be the first...china second probably...not really sure, but it will be soon.

As for the argument of ascii.ascii in favor of IDN.ascii and keyboard related questions... Yes it is true that there will need to be a shift or control key hit to swap in order to enter the extension for IDN.ascii, but that doesn't make the difficulty insurmountable...remember we are creatures of habit so in simple terms, not a problem for human beings who can type/finger the keyboard or cellphone.

Also, for some languages it may be many years before IDN.IDN is available for them....and of course they will prefer there own language and script to what they have been suffering through all these years

IDNs are a breath of fresh air

Note: many major companies have regged the IDN versions of their name or a reasonable facsimile....I believe Myspace just locked in a IDN.net in simplified chinese a month or two ago.

•••
Different needs of different regions,
doesn't it?

Every success with you!

WeeksNevin

:gl: :gl:

•••
.tv said:
Although I'm not a big fan of IDNs, I do have many IDNs in .TV.

I still have a question for the IDNers.

IDN is a name which is represented using native characters, like 中国.com (China.com).

Now my question is, a person capable of typing .com/.net/.tv (or any other ASCII extensions) must know English, and why does he need to type native characters and an ASCII extension? This is very strange and practically an useless option IMO, whether the extension is .com or .net or .tv or any other ASCII extension.

IDN.IDN is the right choice, again IMO.

Another question regarding Arabic/Farsi/Urdu IDNs:
Arabic/Farsi/Urdu language is written from right to left. Appending an extension at the beginning of a word looks unrealistic.

كرة قدم.com is just like writing llabtoof.com

Also, the user has write the entire Arabic/Farsi/Urdu word and he has to append the extension at the starting of the word, which is a tedious process IMO. Instead he may use football.ae (Arabic) or football.ir (Farsi) or football.pk (Urdu), which is very easy to write, again IMO.

Different opinions are welcome!

Some things to consider:
1. Typing in .com or .net does not demand any knowledge of English. These letters are not only part of Latin and Greek based languages (including French and Russian), but are readily recognised as 'brands' in non-Latin based languages.
2. At best your points only apply to non-Latin IDNs (i.e. non European-based).
3. These points only apply to type-in, not to search engine navigation or bookmarking.
4. As Phio points out, there are other ways of typing in extensions using the keyboard if the user knows how.

•••
.tv said:
Thanks for sharing the uncommon fact!

It is inferred from your post that Yahoo Japan, receives Japanese traffic **ONLY** from bookmarks and not from type-ins. :D

A person who uses a computer, and Internet should capable of understand and use English to some extent (No need to be a fluent), whether he is a Japanese or a Chinese.
They aren't monkeys... They can put their hands on their lil keyboards and type Y a h o o . c o . jp

That doesn't mean they speak english

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
They aren't monkeys... They can put their hands on their lil keyboards and type Y a h o o . c o . jp

I agree,

The Japanese are adept at using different common languages/symbols for communication due to the fact that their own language has several different types anyway.
This means that from a school age it becomes second nature. In addition to this, their exposure/fascination to western media and music means that they make it their mission to get and learn the knowledge neccessary to communicate internationally.
Anyone who has spent any length of time in Japan will appreciate the fact that most people in bars etc can't wait to impress you with the English they have learned.

Shame we aren't quite as pro-active ourselves sometimes......

IMHO

Domo arigato,

ak

p.s. The internet will become totally symbolic anyway ;)

•••
DNWizardX9 said:

Yes That's what I'm saying my dear friend...

They are not monkeys.... They know at least how to type a little bit in English. You said they are only using **Bookmarks** to navigate to a particular website. This is NOT true.

Yahoo ... the word is easy to type and your argument is ok!

What about adultfriendfinder, Yourfilehost and names with more two or three English words?

You have not answered any of my other questions:

If IDNs are better than ASCII names, why most of the companies still using ascii names to do business if the users have little or no knowledge about English?

Can you provide a list of IDN.ext names which receives at least 50% of the traffic of the Ascii.ext names?

I do agree some major corporations have already registered the IDN versions of their names.

Google does not use 谷歌.com for their operations, even though it owns this name.

Baidu does not own 百度.com. Surprisingly it shows a parked page.

I'm not against IDNs, but I do not agree with your argument about the English knowledge of Japanese or Chinese, those who use Internet and Computers regularly.

•••
All Chinese web content (99%) is in Chinese Characters. Nearly all of it has been input with a Qwerty Keyboard. Go figure!

•••
Rubber Duck said:
All Chinese web content (99%) is in Chinese Characters. Nearly all of it has been input with a Qwerty Keyboard. Go figure!

My questions are NOT about content... I'm asking about IDNs, but you are telling about content. Nice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back