NameSilo

discuss Do you boycott companies in the domain industry that have political beliefs in conflict with yours?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you boycott companies in the domain industry that have political beliefs in conflict with yours?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    32.1%
  • No

votes
    67.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wonder, and expect, there are national differences as well. It seems that in the increasingly polarized US some companies may be forced to take sides, although, ironically if they do run huge risks. In Canada it seems to me that there is no pressure for most companies to make any statements. Even in their charitable efforts, many try to be diverse across many causes. Now it is true that some companies make a choice to put charitable resources into certain causes, like Bell did in Canada with their Let's Talk campaign around mental health.
Bob

•••
does a company actually have a political belief?

Some companies have the same rights as people nowadays so I wouldn't put it past them :xf.rolleyes:

I voted no.....

•••
That's interesting, so corporate social engineering isn't just about company culture, "team work" and the other baloney- but of being force fed others political beliefs? I Imagine it's like punishment just to go to work. Sorry to hear that.
Correct...It is force feeding and "team work" is a disguise. It's really no different than what many college kids in the US deal with. In fact to combat the problem Trump just signed a Free Speech Executive Order for students.

•••
"Intelligence is found on the edge. The test of first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the function." - F.Scott Fitzgerald

he cites the ability to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crack-Up

•••
•••
$hit i already boycott some.... just on GP, that means general principle, for those who didn't know

:)

on other hand, I don't think any of them would miss me either.

imo

•••
When it comes to news I’m ”boycotting” a few channels because I get bored and crazy annoyed by their obvious bias. I get equally annoyed by too much of politically correct propaganda, as well as by too much of right-wing populism. I prefer non-biased news.

I have boycotted a few companies for being cruel to animals (I still don’t eat at KFC *yeah, I’m a hippie*), or being said to be extra harmful for the environment. But this most often lasts for shorter periods of time.

Apart from this I am like most of us, I care more about what a company provide, in terms of quality versus pricing, than what political statements they might have given, if any. And to be frank, companies seems to avoid political biases at all cost, as long as is not involves fighting poverty and environmental degradation. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are obvious examples of such philanthropists. They’re good people I think. Maybe I should buy a Microsoft mouse next time?! ;)

Last edited:
•••
I am not in favor of boycotting, if I don't like their political beliefs and I find it off-putting, I will simply stop doing business with them and leave it at that. The way I view Boycotting is more or less a person or group of people trying awfully hard to silence companies and prevent them from going any further with their message or beliefs by turning off potential customers. It's ugly in my opinion.

Mostly, I am looking for a competitive pricing, good service, login security, and a decent interface.

•••
•••
No not in the domaining industry, as then we’d be boycotting a top blog (or more) that’s a big supporter of our Racist-in-Chief, and with the current boiling drama of a recent tragedy, one certain registry would be toast.

To each his own, and as long as domain related biz’s don’t mix and ram their political views in with their domaining wares, all is good.

As for other types of businesses, well...

•••
It is an interesting question about whether we know political belief and culture. I mean some companies do make statements that indicate a standing, but it seems to me that most do not (and I think that is probably best). Like I buy stationary from a company and I have 0 idea what they think. Where most of my domains are registered, I actually have no idea if they have political views or if they do what they are. Even the marketplaces where I sell, most no clue where they are on the political spectrum. I host with a major company, but zero idea what they think politically. The people that own NPs, I have no idea if they have political views (and don't want to know).
Bob
Regardless of whether you know what their belief is, it is there. Some are just more vocal. Some do it to attract business. An example being Nike vs. Under Armor. We are in times, unfortunately, that customers are often clamoring to know what side of the aisle a company sits. It's a true sign of the times.

•••
It is an interesting question about whether we know political belief and culture. I mean some companies do make statements that indicate a standing, but it seems to me that most do not (and I think that is probably best). Like I buy stationary from a company and I have 0 idea what they think. Where most of my domains are registered, I actually have no idea if they have political views or if they do what they are. Even the marketplaces where I sell, most no clue where they are on the political spectrum. I host with a major company, but zero idea what they think politically. The people that own NPs, I have no idea if they have political views (and don't want to know).
Bob
Right. I think most companies (management) are smart enough to know not to publicize their political views or ideologies with society. It's bad for business. Although lots of businesses give to charity which is a good thing.

•••
No, but I do for those who's leadership seems to support and promote a culture of violent extremism. Or even yet, I don't trusty domains with someone irrational and disconnected from reality to the point of calling BS on a tragic event where the murder of 50 people was live streamed.

•••
If company promoting extreme views then customers taking a risk if they rely on that company.

What happen if companys whole infrastructure gets pulled down by courts or law enforcement because they hosting hate sites? What else are they up to if the support hate? If the leadership not stable then is company stable? Did industry learn anything from Alpname, Adam Dicker or Sahar Sarid?

Last edited:
•••
If you hated your mail man would you tell him. No you need to still function.
No point burning bridges you use choices when you have them.

•••
I don't care to whom you pray
as long as you don't promote hate and violence

it's your business
what you think will happen when you are dead
and what you think about
of how you have to behave in this life
in order to achieve a better life after death
-if that exists at all-

none of my concern
-as long as you don't preach hate-

we all will meet in the same area after dead
no matter who was right

•••
I guess TWO rob thread weren't enough drama. We needed this third one for more fun? :tightlyclosedeyes:

Tbh, as long as a company's employees aren't actively in support of something legit illegal, like racism. I have no problemo taking advantage of their $0.01 .com promo or their $4 renewal / transfer prices.

•••
Yes, I would, and I support Epik, which is run by an old friend of mine.

•••
companies should focus on what business they are doing, any political or religious stance just means they aren't doing business with the world. That's all.

•••
Nope. I don't mix business with politics.
Business is business and for business there is no borders, religions...
Agree...
Business is a business. No need to be connected with political views. We can all do business with anyone, without seeing their political views, while the business is professional and equally profitable.
So I do not agree to boycott domain names from companies that have different political views.
Thank You

•••
If it is related to my Nation/Country/City - then Yes.

•••
does a company actually have a political belief?
Yes. I'm in the tech industry. Absolutely yes.....Political belief, political culture. Same thing.

•••
•••
This subject is so hypocritical for most. Parsons shoots elephants and people say they won't use Godaddy because of it but those same people are the first ones in line to put money n GD's pocket when an expired domain comes up that they want. Who cares about someone's political views in the grand scheme of life.

Their expiring auctions are SO tempting. Aren't they?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back