Dynadot

Do This When You Get This Kind of Email

NameSilo
Watch
Majority of us often reach out to end users to purchase our domain name and once a while we do get a rude reply.

Two wrongs never make a right and if you compromise a little, you might win at the end of the day.

I reached out to this dude and got this reply below:

I just released this domain name I am not sure why you think I would want to purchase it. Other than you think I am an idiot and you are trying to take advantage of me. I will consider any further contact from you as harassment and report you to the authorities

I don't usual feel or see the need to reply in likewise manner and so I sent this:

Hey calm down. Listen. You are not an idiot but a man with a remarkable personality. Stop using such words on yourself just because of a mere email that does not remove a strand of hair from your head.

Do have a wonderful day and I wish you the very best.. again, you are not an idiot but awesomely made by God.

Minutes later, he reply this:

My apologies. I owned this domain for many years and sold my practice 7 years ago and my intention was to sell it to anther dentist as you are trying to do. I did not really know how to reach out to others. The dentist who bought my practice did not want to buy it. I decided to let it go. You might want to reach out to the dentist who bought my practice. Maybe he'd be interested now.

[name and email removed]

I always thought this domain name was an absolute winner. It took me months to come up with it hence you can see my frustration at having you try to sell what was mine back to me. It was difficult to let go and just salt on the wound to have you come back to me with it. Have a good day. Thanks for reaching back so kindly.

i still replied with an apology for making feel bad. Apparently, the domain name is part of his life, history like his first child and letting it go was painful.

Conclusion:
I didn't reply him rudely like he did to me and as such, I got a contact of the next person that might purchase the domain name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
I enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing it. Your calm replies to this man in the face of rudeness are such a good example of showing kindness when it is least expected. Well done and best of luck with your sales efforts.

•••
I enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing it. Your calm replies to this man in the face of rudeness are such a good example of showing kindness when it is least expected. Well done and best of luck with your sales efforts.
Thanks man.

•••
Generally, my advice in these situations is to not respond, but I am impressed you found a way to have a pleasant conversation and actually get a lead to follow up on.

•••
Generally, my advice in these situations is to not respond, but I am impressed you found a way to have a pleasant conversation and actually get a lead to follow up on.
Well yeah, that is who I am offline. I hardly get angry at most things lol. I just laugh over them. Life is easy if we make it so.

I did send the email to the one he gave me but no reply yet and I also sent one to the email on his website, no reply as well. Guess he is away from emails, probably on vacation.

•••
Congrats on the lead. I am not built that way however and a finger woukd of been extended to him with a lol wording on how I don't need his crap.

•••
•••
Cool story, but I think you might have done more research. The last thing I want as a former domain holder is to get solicitations about names I've dropped, willfully or not.
I would always research past ownership history in order to understand the history of the domain name, and possible pitfalls.

•••
I'm a student of the Dalton School of Salesmanship & Personal Interaction...

6dbcd2f3ef5a42e71dededd7da18d71453a00a916a70652fec39654a8dfba991.jpg

Someone has to push me pretty hard before I stop being nice. Despite a few pretty rude people over the years, I have yet to reach that breaking point in my domaining interactions.

You did a pretty good job in deflecting his anger.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah... Well, I am still in talks with the dude. I asked if he has interest in selling domains and would love some resources. He said he has always been fascinated by the .com business idea and would appreciate any help.

So fellas, I will likely bring him to join us here.

•••
Nice story, thanks for sharing. I always feel a bit strange when I am reaching the former owner.

The best response i ever had from potential enduser was: "Will you trade your domain for livemealone.fu?"

This enduser is my hero :)

•••
Well yeah, that is who I am offline. I hardly get angry at most things lol. I just laugh over them. Life is easy if we make it so.
Beautiful character!

•••
•••
•••
Nice story.
It would become nicer if he joins NP n become a successful domainer ;).

•••
impressive story and nice attitude .. well done!

•••
Great story jideofor! It is nice to see you achieved communication layer deeper than human anger and frustration, the layer of peaceful heart and soul...! :)

Last edited:
•••
Majority of us often reach out to end users to purchase our domain name and once a while we do get a rude reply.

Two wrongs never make a right and if you compromise a little, you might win at the end of the day.

I reached out to this dude and got this reply below:

I just released this domain name I am not sure why you think I would want to purchase it. Other than you think I am an idiot and you are trying to take advantage of me. I will consider any further contact from you as harassment and report you to the authorities

I don't usual feel or see the need to reply in likewise manner and so I sent this:

Hey calm down. Listen. You are not an idiot but a man with a remarkable personality. Stop using such words on yourself just because of a mere email that does not remove a strand of hair from your head.

Do have a wonderful day and I wish you the very best.. again, you are not an idiot but awesomely made by God.

Minutes later, he reply this:

My apologies. I owned this domain for many years and sold my practice 7 years ago and my intention was to sell it to anther dentist as you are trying to do. I did not really know how to reach out to others. The dentist who bought my practice did not want to buy it. I decided to let it go. You might want to reach out to the dentist who bought my practice. Maybe he'd be interested now.

[name and email removed]

I always thought this domain name was an absolute winner. It took me months to come up with it hence you can see my frustration at having you try to sell what was mine back to me. It was difficult to let go and just salt on the wound to have you come back to me with it. Have a good day. Thanks for reaching back so kindly.

i still replied with an apology for making feel bad. Apparently, the domain name is part of his life, history like his first child and letting it go was painful.

Conclusion:
I didn't reply him rudely like he did to me and as such, I got a contact of the next person that might purchase the domain name.
I am glad it turned out to be a heart warming exchange.
Considering how annoyed the man was when he responded to your mail(whatsoever the reason),i am surprised he didn't consider your reply as patronizing(irrespective of your intentions) and took it in stride.
It is reassuring to note that sometimes the complexities & unpredictabilities of the human condition,does yield a positive outcome afterall..

•••
Back