Dynadot

DNSPortfolio.com transitioning into DNScript.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
OK. At very long last, I'm getting ready to release the latest release of DNSPortfolio.com. Out with the old and in with the new. This has been a pet project of mine, ever since I purchased the original DomainPortfolio.us code in 2010. This has now been updated, with a completely new look, more in line with the times of today, rather than the ancient look it currently bears. At the same time, it might now be easier to add domain graphics. but it's still not there yet. I'm marking the transition with a new domain name, DNScript.com. The Database hasn't changed. So it should be able to work perfectly fine with all existing installations of DNSPortfolio.

So. You can go to DNScript.com. But it's just really a shell at the moment, until the code is released. But it has links to the old forum, for comments on the test data at EliteDoms.com. So both EliteDoms.com and DNScript.com have flat 1 page designs. Which I personally like. And you get to the nitty gritty at EliteDoms.com by clicking the Portfolio link. I personally think it's a vast improvement in look 'n feel over the current offering.

There are only a few bugs (that I know of) left in the front end. The back end is about 25% done. And I think this should be easier to finish, now I've got the front end, basically sorted.

The expected delivery of DNScript.com 1.0 is expected to be approximately 1st May 2017. Provided there are no unforseen problems. If I can release it earlier, I will.

I would ask anybody whoever is currently using, or is looking for a Domain Name Sales Portfolio Management Software, to take it for a test drive. And tell me what you think. Preferably in the thread created in the old forum software, reachable from DNScript.com. I'd really like to keep all the comments in the one place, for ease of reference. This is a big step forward in the evolution of DNSPortfolio.com. IMHO.

You can be brutally honest or as nice as you see fit ;) Just take it for a test drive and give me your thoughts.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks, @stub for the good work you're doing. I'll be happy to help. I'll try it out in the next day or two and provide my feedback on the forum...

•••
There is only the front end to test-drive at the moment. It should take long for you to make an assessment. For those familiar with DNSPortfolio.com, the back end will have the same functionality as before but with the updated interface.

•••
So should we donwload the DNSPortfolio now or wait till May1st hit? How much of a struggle will it be to switch over?

Thanks

PS. I still want that one domain .us :sneaky:

•••
@Steven McEvoy - Personally. I'd wait for the release of DNScript.com. I said May 1st, just to give me time in case of hiccups. I'm not yet at the point where I can try an upgrade. Even for the Demo. Best for me to do that after everything is complete. But in theory it should be an easy upgrade. Since this is a facelift without any functionality changes.

This should have been done years ago. And I tried many times with different developers. All ended in abject failure. This facelift is all my own work. With the help of starbootstrap.com (EliteDoms.com except for the Portfolio) and templatemo.com (DNScript.com) free templates. Free templates were important because I still wanted DNScript to be free software. Contributions are always welcome, though :)

DomainPortfolio.us currently forwards to DNSPortfolio.com. And both will be forwarded to DNScript.com :)

Last edited:
•••
@stub okay i will surely wait. Thank you.

•••
•••
Hi @Steven McEvoy,

I truely thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support/interest of DNSPortfolio.com/DNScript.com. You are probably the only fan left :)

For the moment. I have put this on the back burner. I have spent so much energy, time, and money, developing and improving some spaghetti code from the very beginnings when I purchased DomainPortfolio.US in 2010 until today. Including continuing to making it work with the updated technologies which have arrived or have been obsoleted since 2010. But today you can find some good quality responsive themes out there. Which look much better than my project.

Also. I'm not a programmer. So everything has to be worked thru a programmer. I have had probably 8 different programmers work on this code since 2010. Some of them, not so good, who even broke things. My current programmer, I've had for about 1.5 years. He has done a lot of work upgrading this relatively old code, to what you see today. I have faith in his work.

I'm not saying that I won't release the code at a later date. But for the moment, it still needs quite a lot more work:-

1) Making it responsive on portable devices like phones and tablets, is desperately needed since Google have said they will give preference to mobile compatibility in their search results. This is going to be my next major project with my programmer.

2) Getting a better integration between the home page and the portfolio system. It's very clunky at the moment.

The best example of DNScript.com working with the latest code is at my test site with a whole portfolio of real domains at EliteDoms.com. As you will probably observe, there is still some worked needed. Although all the known bugs appear to be resolved. The pictures on each domain shown are default top level category pictures by default, but pictures can be added at the domain level. You can even register and login if you would like to see how makeoffer/buynow works.

I will be using this code for my own portfolio of domains, although I'm still deciding on which domain to use.

If you have any suggested improvements, I'd be happy to listen.

•••
I love the script and I'm still using it :)

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
@stub if you are willing to make the software free/open source have you considered putting it on Github ? Then other members could not only download the software but suggest commits (= improvements) to your code. This could turn into a community effort.

•••
@stub if you are willing to make the software free/open source have you considered putting it on Github ? Then other members could not only download the software but suggest commits (= improvements) to your code. This could turn into a community effort.

DNSPortfolio.com has always been free and can be downloaded from the website. But the available version looks very 2000ish. The current, not yet completed version, which can be seen at EliteDoms.com, has been my attempt to give it a long awaited facelift. What I left out, intentionally, was making it fully responsive, as an option. I based this on my own preferences, to see lists of names, rather than lots of pretty pictures. Which takes up oodles of screen space. But we live in a modern age, and it requires responsive websites. Personally, I don't think we should be searching for domains with a smartphone. It's the wrong tool. So I'm going to be making it responsive, for the masses, with an option to list domains in rows instead.

Your suggestion of using Github is well taken and a good one. My only angst in doing this is the thousands of dollars already spent on this code. I have to decide to basically forgo that money. I'm on the brink of doing that. But I haven't yet made that decision.

I appreciate your thoughful comments. As always, on NP.

•••
•••
Gay Weddings . xyz

Cheers
Corey
Pretty cool I’m trying to figure out why my is outdated, I did the most recent download check it out

Steventmcevoy.com

•••
Pretty cool I’m trying to figure out why my is outdated, I did the most recent download check it out

Steventmcevoy.com

It looks to me like he is using the same version as you. But with a bit of improvement by his developer.

•••

Steventmcevoy.com

I was unable to check it out today because you have redirected the url to mcevoy.biz which doesn't resolve.

•••
I was unable to check it out today because you have redirected the url to mcevoy.biz which doesn't resolve.
Sorry got some time today to work on it.

So I tried the DNS Portfolio 1.7.0 ZIP this time but no luck as you can see in the image It seems like its missing the whole css
upload_2018-4-3_21-44-21.png

and "Fix DNS Portfolio 1.7.0 ZIP"
Shows what you saw before, really outdated with the blue banner.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back