NameSilo

DNS / BIND Help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sir P

Account Closed
Impact
hi all,

not sure if this is the right place for help so feel free to move it, cheers.

I have BIND running on my server and currently the domain wont resolve the DNS servers, the DNS report is here:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=tab-archive.com

the important bit is this :
75.126.45.192 Error=Port Unreachable
75.126.45.193 Error=Port Unreachable

those are my IP's but they are unreachable on that port though if you ping them, they are there.

Can anyone give me any pointers on troubleshooting BIND for this issue? or where to go from here?

Many thanks,
Sir P

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sir P said:
hi all,

not sure if this is the right place for help so feel free to move it, cheers.

I have BIND running on my server and currently the domain wont resolve the DNS servers, the DNS report is here:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=tab-archive.com

the important bit is this :
75.126.45.192 Error=Port Unreachable
75.126.45.193 Error=Port Unreachable

those are my IP's but they are unreachable on that port though if you ping them, they are there.

Can anyone give me any pointers on troubleshooting BIND for this issue? or where to go from here?

Many thanks,
Sir P

Hi,

Your IP's are reachable, but the ports that BIND (DNS) runs on aren't.

FYI, a ping merely sends a packet of data (ICMP) to the address you give it, and checks to see if it gets a response. Ping does not reach or check any particular ports so is not accurate for how you were using it.

You can see that the ports are unreachable by bringing up a DOS prompt and typing:

telnet 75.126.45.192 53
telnet 75.126.45.193 53

They don't connect, right?

BIND uses port 53 both TCP and UDP, so you need to have these open in your firewall. It's hard to give you instructions on how to do this without knowing more about your configuration. Linux distribution? Are you using iptables? Hardware firewall?

Cheers.

•••
thanks for your words ech, brings tsuff to my attention thanks.
weblord thanks for links but they seem to need me to pay to access most of them..

ech it is centOS ... I actually now need to totally configure BIND/DNS from stratch. I have two IP address, does anyone have any tutorials on setting this up for a TLD?

any help apperciated as im suffering great downtime for this.
Many thanks

Sir P

•••
Hi,

I'd advise that instead of reading up on how to configure DNS/BIND, that you hire someone to take care of it for you.

Good luck :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back