IT.COM

DN Redemption Cost

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Once a DN expires and goes into the Redemption Period, what does the average host charge for a owner to recover the domain? Basically what is the penalty?

Is this recovery option available to the owner until it actually drops?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The real problem is with the domain register and not the host.
Who's the host? Because of the cost involved in becoming a "Domain registrar" most hosting providers use services like enom and namecheap.

I havent seen one in a while but I think it is pretty high... low - mid hundred dollar range.

You have to be careful also some hosting company's will hold your domain for ransom if you dont renew your hosting services. Many new hosting customers lose their domains like this.

•••
identity_00 said:
You have to be careful also some hosting company's will hold your domain for ransom if you dont renew your hosting services. Many new hosting customers lose their domains like this.
I agree, it is a cruel tactic but it happens

•••
Registrars charge anywhere from $80 to (gulp!) $300 to redeem the name. Even if the domain name was registered thru a hosting provider, only the
registrar can redeem it but placed under that hosting provider/reseller
account.

•••
In my case, my host DIDNT renew several domains that I had paid for on time, and then wanted $150 to reactive each one. I declined, since I believe i can get them back via namewinner. And so far I've gotten about 1/2 of the back that way.

•••
So I would assume this is why more buyers don't approach the owners of DNs in this Redemption Period? They feel there is a better chance they will pay less if the name drops.

•••
What happen when a name is dropped?
Does it mean public can register it ?

•••
zweigoh said:
What happen when a name is dropped?
Does it mean public can register it ?

Once a domain name reaches "pending deletion", count 5-6 days after and it
becomes available.

Fat chance in getting it if it's a really popular name unless you have the money
to burn. :sold:

•••
evenflow said:
So I would assume this is why more buyers don't approach the owners of DNs in this Redemption Period? They feel there is a better chance they will pay less if the name drops.

Depends on the name in question really....of the 20-30 thousand drops per day....some in there are bound to fetch a high auction bid number.
It all depends on your own discretion.

•••
Darkfire001 said:
In my case, my host DIDNT renew several domains that I had paid for on time, and then wanted $150 to reactive each one. I declined, since I believe i can get them back via namewinner. And so far I've gotten about 1/2 of the back that way.

Good point. Sometimes it's easy to just try to grab the name back instead of paying hundreds for a reactivation fee...

•••
Anthony said:
Good point. Sometimes it's easy to just try to grab the name back instead of paying hundreds for a reactivation fee...

Right. The only time you'd need to redeem it is if: 1) you have the money to
burn, and 2) you truly, madly, deeply need the domain name back urgently.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back