NameSilo

Discuss your Epik Experience!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dande

Premium DomainsTop Member
Impact
I think Epik is building the best ever Domain Lander in the history of domaining, and it really needs to be talked about extensively. That's why I am creating this discussion thread. A lot of thought process really goes into the project. And I can see (for the first time) a landing page that is built from the stand point of domainers rather than for just the marketplace itself.

Everything you have ever dreamt of getting or seeing in a professional landing page can be found in the new Epik marketplace landing page design.

Some of my Favorites Features:

1. The ability to optimize your "domain for sale" landing page to actually rank on Google, displaying your sales pitch/domain description. I just did that with few of my generic domain names such as ASAP.TV, targeting certain keywords, and they are showing pretty well on Google. That's a huge plus in my marketing effort.

2. Being able to change background image is another huge one for me. If you are good with pictures and images, you will surely find this very useful. I did that with Nagasaki.org and the result was truly amazing, showing the city of Nagasaki right at the background.

There are too many positive features and I don't want to mention all of them, all alone :xf.grin::xf.grin:

So I am leaving you guys to share and discuss what you loves most or dislike about the new Epik marketplace and the landing pages.

The only negative for me is the checkout process. There are too many terms and conditions buttons to tick before checking out. It will be nice if they can streamline those into one beautiful big button :xf.cool:

They also need to place the checkout button directly under the payment options. Right now it is awkwardly place somewhere below at the sidebar, which I don't find cool at all.

Sales experience is also welcomed in this discussion. I haven't had any sells so far at Epik because I started using the marketplace just recently, but the future is looking so bright.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
About the Make Offer vs Price Upon Request. I think PUR works fine for a one word .com, but for the rest of domains, a Make Offer with a minimum price set, in order to filter too low ball offers, I think it's the best option to save time for everybody. Just my opinion of course.

•••
Until we can have appraisals done by AI it will be wise to at least get a few input from the pros here in addition to any appraisals given by automated scripts (which are different than AI).

Imagine if you could put all the collective knowledge contained here on NamePros or better yet the whole domain Industry into one program and if that program could add to all that knowledge on its own and come up with new insights that didn't exist before then you are beginning to have the makings for AI Appraisals.

That's why I registered these two domains couple of weeks ago:

AiAppraisals.com

and

AiAppraised.com

IMO

$1bn job (+ $1m for compass.com :) )

•••
AI Appraisals will most likely be developed through an academic institution first before it makes its way into the commercial world.

I am sometimes baffled by how no one is paying any attention to how AI is going to change everything in the near future.

IMO

•••
•••
AI Appraisals will most likely be developed through an academic institution first before it makes its way into the commercial world.
An excellent point.

I think in many ways it would be better if the academic world of researchers were more involved in analysis, research and development around issues of domain names. I understand that domainers focus on day to day selling and being profitable, but ultimately I think domaining could be improved through insights that careful research brings.

There are many AI institutes around the world. Does anyone know if any of them are involved with anything about domain names? Of course, naturally much development will be in-house at companies and out of the public eye.

Bob

•••
I think a few of you really don't get the obstacles of developing the groundwork to build an AI that could be successful in any way with domain valuations. Coincidentally there's a discussion about it today in another thread ..

You are thinking more in human terms, of course there are many obstacles, but a true AI can build on what info it has acquired and come up with new insights and ways to overcome those obstacles. Just think about how AI has already learned to beat humans in so many different games.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
An excellent point.

I think in many ways it would be better if the academic world of researchers were more involved in analysis, research and development around issues of domain names. I understand that domainers focus on day to day selling and being profitable, but ultimately I think domaining could be improved through insights that careful research brings.

There are many AI institutes around the world. Does anyone know if any of them are involved with anything about domain names? Of course, naturally much development will be in-house at companies and out of the public eye.

Bob

A lot of people don't realize that AI is different than scripts that we have seen being used so far, a true AI can come up with new insights and knowledge on its own and thus can come up with new innovations that humans might have not been able to think of before.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
He is beating this topic hard of "Price Upon Request" versus "Make Offer".

'Make an offer' with supporting language somewhere very close saying something similar to 'owner will consider reasonable offers' is essential for me.

'Price upon request' projects a lack of knowledge of the seller as to the assets value. Or it is projecting the possibly the value of the name fluctuates...not something you want to put in a 'buyers' mind. Imagine going to buy a new car and 'price upon request' is on the window rather than the cost breakdown we are used to...it would make a 'buyer' feel like they are being sized up for pocket depth. There is basic psychology at work here...bad move.

I do not have time for tire kickers and it is important for me to gauge the viability and level of the initial 'offer' by how much it is. If I have my starting offer boundary set at 100 and that is what they offer (on a name that is wholesale worth 500 and/or retail of 3500) I know they are ignorant or they think I am...either way, this is a lead I will not spend much time on. On the other hand, if they offer 1000, I will know instantly they are likely not a reseller and I have an end user to negotiate with.

So when I get a lead/contact through a source/marketplace that does not allow me to set a minimum, the first thing I do is ask 'the lead' to make an offer...if they never respond or do not make an offer, I move on.

•••
I do not have time for tire kickers and it is important for me to gauge the viability and level of the initial 'offer' by how much it is. If I have my starting offer boundary set at 100 and that is what they offer (on a name that is wholesale worth 500 and/or retail of 3500) I know they are ignorant or they think I am...either way, this is a lead I will not spend much time on. On the other hand, if they offer 1000, I will know instantly they are likely not a reseller and I have an end user to negotiate with.
Hi mister! I would consider in this case to place a starting offer set at 1000.
As somebody else has pointed out previously on other forum thread, some people just don't have a clue about domains, and if they see a minimum of 100, they simply will place that bid.
This does not mean that this person doesn't have 1000 or 5000 to invest in the domain.
So, I really would think to place that minimum starting price of 1000 in your case.
This just will filter the low ballers from legit interested people with higher budget.
Hope this helps, although I already know that everyone has different views of this matter :)

•••
Until we can have appraisals done by AI it will be wise to at least get a few input from the pros here in addition to any appraisals given by automated scripts (which are different than AI).

Imagine if you could put all the collective knowledge contained here on NamePros or better yet the whole domain Industry into one program and if that program could add to all that knowledge on its own and come up with new insights that didn't exist before then you are beginning to have the makings for AI Appraisals.

That's why I registered these two domains couple of weeks ago:

AiAppraisals.com

and

AiAppraised.com

IMO

An excellent point.

Bob

AI will do just what we teach it to do, nothing more and nothing less.
AI is perfect for maths, like the case of playing chess.
But I think in domaining there are too much different variables to take into account, the most important one is that AI will never be into the buyers mind, so will never know how much a domain is valuable for this buyer.
Every domain, every combined words, is different, and AI just can't get all these variables because most of these variables are plainly subjective.
And I think that domains are not a math variable, they are a subjective one :)

Last edited:
•••
Hi mister! I would consider in this case to place a starting offer set at 1000.
As somebody else has pointed out previously on other forum thread, some people just don't have a clue about domains, and if they see a minimum of 100, they simply will place that bid.
This does not mean that this person doesn't have 1000 or 5000 to invest in the domain.
So, I really would think to place that minimum starting price of 1000 in your case.
This just will filter the low ballers from legit interested people with higher budget.
Hope this helps, although I already know that everyone has different views of this matter :)

Yep, my pricing model is to determine the full retail value of a domain and make that the bin. I purposely leave the offer (on names I am willing to negotiate...my super premium names don't apply) at a low number to test where their offer falls. The percentage of 'full retail' they offer along with the numbers within the offer along with their wording tells me more than they mean to. There is much more hidden psychology to this dance we do with buyers than most realize...it is essential to understand the nuances in getting the highest value for an asset. That's about all of my pricing strategy I am willing to share...everyone must find his/her method. :xf.smile:

•••
Yep, my pricing model is to determine the full retail value of a domain and make that the bin. I purposely leave the offer (on names I am willing to negotiate...my super premium names don't apply) at a low number to test where their offer falls. The percentage of 'full retail' they offer along with the numbers within the offer along with their wording tells me more than they mean to. There is much more hidden psychology to this dance we do with buyers than most realize...it is essential to understand the nuances in getting the highest value for an asset. That's about all of my pricing strategy I am willing to share...everyone must find his/her method. :xf.smile:
Thank you for your detailed explanation. You clearly know what you are doing and you have your pricing strategy quite clear! :)

•••
AI will do just what we teach it to do, nothing more and nothing less.
AI is perfect for maths, like the case of playing chess.
But I think in domaining there are too much different variables to take into account, the most important one is that AI will never be into the buyers mind, so will never know how much a domain is valuable for this buyer.
Every domain, every combined words, is different, and AI just can't get all these variables because most of these variables are plainly subjective.
And I think that domains are not a math variable, they are a subjective one :)

AI can go beyond its initial programming as it learns, everything that took you a lifetime to learn about domains and domaining (or anything else for that matter) AI can learn in the matter of days or even hours (perhaps even seconds in the future) and AI can do everything you do a lot faster and with a lot more efficacy.

IMO

•••
AI can go beyond its initial programming as it learns, everything that took you a lifetime to learn about domains and domaining (or anything else for that matter) AI can learn in the matter of days or even hours (perhaps even seconds in the future) and AI can do everything you do a lot faster and with a lot more efficacy.

IMO
If you are comparing a human mind to a computer, you really don't know nothing about human mind.
Again, a machine only will do what we teach it to do, nothing more and nothing less.
And if the machines will "learn" something, it will be what WE TELL THEM TO LEARN, nothing more an nothing less. No invention, no creation, no subjectivity, in resume, not a real intelligence.
The word INTELLIGENCE becomes too big for a machine.
A machine NEVER EVER will think like a human mind, and domaining is about how much a buyer values a domain, not about what SKYNET says a domain is worth ;)

Last edited:
•••
If you are comparing a human mind to a computer, you really don't know nothing about human mind.
Again, a machine only will do what we teach it to do, nothing more and nothing less.
A machine NEVER EVER will think like a human mind, and domaining is about how much a buyer values a domain, not about what SKYNET says a domain is worth ;)

This line of thinking can make you fall behind the times, but don't worry soon AI will teach you everything you need to know, or better yet will do everything for you. ;)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
This line of thinking can make you fall behind the times, but don't worry soon AI will teach you everything you need to know, or better yet will do everything for you. ;)
A machine can already teach you, Google can teach you, a program can teach you. A lot of machines can do peoples work nowadays, but this is not INTELLIGENCE.
Having intelligence, think by yourself, ITS A VERY DIFFERENT THING. I guess is in this concept, that some people doesn't have it clear what it means.

•••
A machine can already teach you, Google can teach you, a program can teach you. A lot of machines can do peoples work nowadays, but this is not INTELLIGENCE.
Having intelligence, think by yourself, ITS A VERY DIFFERENT THING. I guess is in this concept, that some people doesn't have it clear what it means.

You should do some research and expand your knowledge a little more about AI, but nevertheless good luck with your domaining. :)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
You should do some research and expand your knowledge a little more about AI, but nevertheless good luck with your domaining. :)
Hey oldtimer, same to you, we are always on time to learn something. In your case expand your knowledge about human mind. As for domaining, good luck to you too! :)

•••
•••
@DnFolk @Rob Monster How many different themes you offer for landing page at @epik ?

Yes, highly configurable with custom layouts and a library of possibilities.

upload_2019-12-17_10-47-18.png

More here:

https://www.epik.com/support/knowledgebase/enable-a-coming-soon-or-domain-parking-page/

If you get stuck, there are many resident experts like @domainexpert77 that can help.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Moved most of my domains over to Epik on the Black Friday sale. Just had my first sale off an Epik landing page for a cool $1999. Everything worked quickly for both buyer and seller. Domain already points to another site.

•••
Moved most of my domains over to Epik on the Black Friday sale. Just had my first sale off an Epik landing page for a cool $1999. Everything worked quickly for both buyer and seller. Domain already points to another site.

Congrats on your sale. Nice ROI there.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back