Domain Empire

Discuss Successful Domain Sales Here !!! > $1,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Well, as I have been lurking on this board for a while, I thought that I would provide a wee dram o' fodder for those wondering if anyone actually makes any money doing this. From all of the threads that I have scanned over the last year, I have determined that little money can be made flipping domain names unless:

1) you happen to snap up an extremely generic expired domain name; or

2) you grab an industry specific name, develop it, and attempt to sell it to people in that industry.

Of course there are always exceptions. I would very much like to hear how other "domain flippers" were able to sell websites for more than $1,000.

I just sold rebreathers.org for $2,500 ... here is how I did it. A couple of months ago, I bought rebreathers.org when it expired for $12.95. I spent a couple of hours puting up a small website and proceeded to list the website everywhere (ie - industry related blogs, guest books, search engines) to elevate its search engine standing. I then emailed 25 companies in the scuba industry offering the site for sale. Within 24 hours I had three offers and accepted the offer for $2,500 cash.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow! Nice experience pwfletcher! You really motivated me in building up my websites as well!

•••
great! Inspires me really.

•••
Nice job pwfletcher
on rebreathers.org !!

I am trying a different marketing angle.. such as you mention.. am putting a mini info site together on my names.. such as:
www.digitranslate.com
www.akcpups.org

Now I'll do the ground work in contacting prospective end users.. with a live site "idea" so to speak.. I believe that it will have more impact.. vs. just the "name for sale".. we'll see!

Congrats on your sale!

•••
Thanks for sharing your experience, pwfletcher :tu:

I am also leaning toward building mini sites for the domains I want to sell. I agree that there is a greater chance of selling it, as against the "For Sale" only method. Might generate higher interest and price.

Regards.

•••
Is mini site really useful for selling domain names? The reason I postpone many of my developments is because I find that the programming part of the website takes a long time (PHP + MYSQL) and may not justify the selling price later on should I decide to sell it??

•••
Essentially what you are selling is your SEO expertise. But instead of selling a promise, you first get the job done, then sell. It's not always easy to get high SE ranking, specially in the crowded industries, and if you have know nothing of the field. But still its a good strategy if you can handle it.

•••
•••
pwfletcher: Incredible! I'm sure that story will inspire lots of people around here.

•••
WOW! I wasn't trying to be inspiring :) I was just hoping that if we all posted our success stories this thread might become a "how to" guide for making more $$$ ... an online "Domain Name Reselling for Dummies."

Hoping for a repeat, I have started developing other domain names that I own and will target potential end users similarly. I am currently developing my domain slogans.us and will offer it for sale to a handful of ad agencies when I am finished. Once it sells, I will post what steps I took and the sale price in this thread.

Good luck all!

•••
I am not a reseller..atleast not an active one like most of the members here...I got this domain IDLock.com with a CheapSnap last Sept. and sold it at Afternic for $900 last December. Only then I decided, i should do domain reselling as a part time business lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back