IT.COM

new gtlds Digging into .xyz’s domain name registrations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
A look at how .xyz domain names are being used.
.xyz is big — about 900,000 domains — but it’s also controversial since many of the domains were given away for free.
Even stripping away the freebies, .xyz is still big.
Network Solutions, which gave .xyz domains away for free, represents 95% of these placeholder pages.

nTLDstats shows that .xyz is popular at Asian domain name registrars, and this pops up in dataprovider’s language analysis. Dataprovider determined that, if a website contains content, it is Chinese or Japanese 68% of the time.
Also, many .xyz domains are being used or forwarded to full-fledged business e-commerce businesses.

Source: DomainNameWire

How are you using your .XYZ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe I'm drunk.. but didn't you post this last week? I thought I remembered the same thread.

Well, anyways, I have several .xyz domains I like.. so I don't mind seeing more threads about it.

•••
for me I'm planning to develop fun and "silly" sites on xyz

•••
for me I'm planning to develop fun and "silly" sites on xyz

Instead of "silly", just go "stupid" right away so the content matches the extension...

•••
This extension will need a tremendous marketing budget to be "big" long time because it sucks. Can see why they are almost giving away (more) free domains in Asia, for this type of extension you have to do that simply put.

•••
Instead of "silly", just go "stupid" right away so the content matches the extension...

I LOL'd. But I do honestly like .xyz. I wouldn't build an enterprise level web site on it.. IT'S NOT A .COM REPLACEMENT.. but I do think think that .XYZ is a good alternative for .COM if you're planning to just build a fun or silly site and want a really good name.

•••
This extension will need a tremendous marketing budget to be "big" long time because it sucks. Can see why they are almost giving away (more) free domains in Asia, for this type of extension you have to do that simply put.

Yeah.. but I mean it's hard to argue with 900,000+ registrations though in less than one year.. even if half of them were for free. But yeah IT'S NOT .COM. We get it. I never bought any .XYZ thinking it would be a .COM replacement. But it's fine for silly and stupid web sites to have a nice domain name. IMHO

•••
Yeah.. but I mean it's hard to argue with 900,000+ registrations though in less than one year.. even if half of them were for free. But yeah IT'S NOT .COM. We get it. I never bought any .XYZ thinking it would be a .COM replacement. But it's fine for silly and stupid web sites to have a nice domain name. IMHO

Yeah can't complain about their marketing skills. The owner though said it was the new .com ;)

•••
I LOL'd. But I do honestly like .xyz. I wouldn't build an enterprise level web site on it.. IT'S NOT A .COM REPLACEMENT.. but I do think think that .XYZ is a good alternative for .COM if you're planning to just build a fun or silly site and want a really good name.

Yeah, was meant to be LOL'd :) Nothing against the extension, and I'll think it will do fairly well. Actually, my main problem with it is that it simply looks visually ugly to me. Go figure.

•••
Yeah.. but I mean it's hard to argue with 900,000+ registrations though in less than one year.. even if half of them were for free.
.mobi has got that many regs (all paid afaik), .asia has half... the numbers alone are not a measure of success.
If you look at .xxx the numbers are stuffed in a different way: half of the volume is in fact made of reserved domains, that are not even resolving. The proportion of developed domains is extremely low, as usual.
Even if you stumble on a .xxx domain, you will probably not remember it.

But it's fine for silly and stupid web sites to have a nice domain name. IMHO
Completely agree, it's the only purpose I can imagine for xyz. Nonsense contents for meaningless extension.

•••
Hello,

I sold a few .XYZ for decent prices last year, but now the aftermarket appears more or less dead. Just have a look here: http://dnpric.es/?q=.xyz

I will probably lower the prices on mine own ones significantly.

•••
One more...

I also would like to say that I really liked Daniel's very forward and fearless marketing approach during the release of the domain. Even if not including the NS "giveaways" and the Asian bargain prices in the stats, you'll have to admit that it it's somewhat become a success for Daniel & Co. But obviously not for us domainers at the aftermarket. At least not yet...

•••
I still think if you've got a GREAT .xyz (I've got a few ;)) then it will eventually be worth good money.

Same thing with most of the ngtlds.

•••
I had 3 .xyz's dropped 2 left with >>> developing.

•••
Just registered expiring(.xyz) could make for busy website

•••
I still think if you've got a GREAT .xyz (I've got a few ;)) then it will eventually be worth good money.

Same thing with most of the ngtlds.

I really hope that you are right :)

•••
What registrars in Asia, are selling for .xyz very cheap ???

•••
•••
I've turned down some $xxx offers on my .xyz's already, got some good ones when they were really new such as Programs.xyz and Names.xyz (bought Names.xyz from a member on NamePros :))

•••
Hello,

My ten best ones is probably:

Chess.xyz, Tip.xyz, Payment.xyz, Podcast.xyz, Motor.xyz, Rock.xyz, Motorcycle.xyz, Partner.xyz, Bbq.xyz and Automobile.xyz.

They are all for sale. At the moment I have no intention to develop them, but you never know.

As the renewal fees are low, I will not drop ANY of my 40 .XYZ this year.

•••
I own about 20 .xyz and I like the extension. Use it just like .com and .co without any confusion.

Xavier.xyz is my personal site.

I own premium ones like : Punk.xyz Ska.xyz Jetpack.xyz Webmasters.xyz Emo.xyz

I have sold 1 .xyz and paid all my registrations.

•••
Hello,

My ten best ones is probably:

Chess.xyz, Tip.xyz, Payment.xyz, Podcast.xyz, Motor.xyz, Rock.xyz, Motorcycle.xyz, Partner.xyz, Bbq.xyz and Automobile.xyz.

They are all for sale. At the moment I have no intention to develop them, but you never know.

As the renewal fees are low, I will not drop ANY of my 40 .XYZ this year.

I realy like Rock.xyz

•••
Hi
I bought quite a few XYZ when they first came out,but as I am clearing my list out I am looking to sell them for new ventures.
FEE.XYZ
BUYER.XYZ
EMOTIONS.XYZ
LIKED.XYZ
PLANES.XYZ
ETC....

•••
I'm not really a fan of the XYZ but it is getting ad air time in the tv series silicon valley. Season 2 episode 4 they have the company hooli.xyz mentioned on the show numerous of times...
I'm am watching it as i write...

•••
I'm not really a fan of the XYZ but it is getting ad air time in the tv series silicon valley. Season 2 episode 4 they have the company hooli.xyz mentioned on the show numerous of times...
I'm am watching it as i write...

Thank you for the information. Great to hear that!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back