IT.COM

Did I register an unsellable trademarked domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Newbie here. I just registered i/o/t/e/s/t. in (as IoT testing, or maybe IO Testing) without checking trademark issues first.
Now I see in trademarkia that there is one trademark for a chemical/pharmaceutical product, filled for the US as I understand.
Does that mean that any use for that domain, even in India and out of the area of industry the trademark is filled for, could generate legal problems for the domain owner?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am also a newbie. I think I have a few domains that will be similar to what you described. In those cases here is what I am hoping . . . If the company is big enough, and in my cases I think they will be, it will be more cost effective for them to buy the domain and have me sign a nondisclosure agreement versus going to court and litigating everything!

•••
Not necessarily. A given term can have multiple meanings. When it comes to intellectual property protection, the Trademark will describe the meaning and usage that is being protected. It's possible that you could have the same term but be using it in a different context with a different meaning.

•••
You are not the first one to face this dilemma. Do a search in this forum for "trademark" and you will get plenty of case studies to reflect on and learn from. Also read read and read before investing even a penny. Goodluck.

•••
Now I see in trademarkia that there is one trademark for a chemical/pharmaceutical product, filled for the US as I understand.

Does the company owning a trademark have trademark world-wide rights to the name, alternatively the rights for the use of the trademark extending to India ?

Last edited:
•••
Does the company owning a trademark have trademark world-wide rights to the name, alternatively the rights for the use of the trademark extending to India ?

I don't think so. And I also see that both i/o/t/e/s/t .com and .org/.net are registered by different companies than the trademark owner. But none of those domains has any content

Last edited:
•••
The number #1 question is why you registered that domain in the first place. It's all about intent and usage.
I we set possible TM issues aside, and assuming you've bought the domain for resale and not to develop it, what makes you think it could be valuable ? Who would be the potential buyers ?
You never should buy a domain without good reasons.

•••
The number #1 question is why you registered that domain in the first place. It's all about intent and usage.
I we set possible TM issues aside, and assuming you've bought the domain for resale and not to develop it, what makes you think it could be valuable ? Who would be the potential buyers ?
You never should buy a domain without good reasons.

I regged after having read a comment (of DomainVP) in the IoT thread, in the Niche section, telling about how big is gonna be the IoT testing market. So I thought IoTest .in would be a great name for an international, or Indian (which will be quite a big market for it's own) company in that area. Or for a SaaS providing IoT testing services. I personally like the name.
But as I said, I forgot to check the trademark issue. But being the trademark in the pharma/chemical area, and is not even the company name but a certain product, I hope a tech company would have no problem using that name even in the US.

Last edited:
•••
The more generic the terms, the more possible uses for the terms to be used in different industries and for different things.

Your name is not generic at all and is pretty specific.

If there is already a TM on it, it could be a problem.

•••
You were right to register the name. Now use it and there shouldn't be a problem, just don't use it for the following use;

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: TESTING, ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION OF THE GOODS AND SERVICES OF OTHERS IN THE FIELDS OF SOFTWARE AND SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS TO DETERMINE COMPLIANCE WITH PRODUCT QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS. FIRST USE: 20151118. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20151118

Some companies betting big on IoT Testing.

See Google.

•••
No problem...

only full name trademark or high quality site trademark can cause you otherwise not...like Google,facebook,fb.:xf.smile::xf.grin:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back