IT.COM

sales Did buyer take a huge risk acquiring AmazonCannabis.com for $25,000 USD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
The top reported domain name sale yesterday was AmazonCannabis.com while technically two generic keyword terms "Amazon" & "Cannabis" - I am not sure I would have spent $25,000 USD on this acquisition without some sound legal advice.

What do you think, Did Amazon acquire it, would you have taken this five-figure risk?

Read more on Robbies Blog....

https://robbiesblog.com/amazoncannabis-com-sells-for-a-risky-25000-usd/10171

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If this was purchased by Amazon (the company) it makes sense.

If this was purchased by some random party...

1643966438618.png

•••
Everything's Generic until it's not.

•••
•••
I think Amazon could have bought it because if you search the keyword on Google and look at the news tab, you see very recent news about Amazon supporting the legalization of cannabis..

•••
only if I already had a business named Amazon Cannabis

Last edited:
•••
If the buyer has acquired property in the Amazon and is planning to grow cannabis, then it MIGHT be okay.

(but he/she should not park it with monetization in the interim!)

•••
Interesting sale. Well...best of luck whoever bought it

•••
Well its possible that such company might sell canabis in the future weed is legal in canada so they say

I heard with no risk theres no reward

•••
I think someone totally blazed thought it was a good idea.

•••
There is zero chance anyone other than Amazon would pay $25k for this name. None at all.

•••
Possibly an upgrade for amazonorganics-net?

Creation dates look interesting:

amazonorganics-net 2014-02-22
amazoncannabis-com 2014-03-10

•••
Actually this amazon strain makes people spend 25k.

•••
I think someone totally blazed thought it was a good idea.
Lol!

...and they thought it was "amazing cannabis"

•••
•••
The next possible sales:
PrimeWeed & CannabisPrime – Order today, smoke tomorrow

•••
If I had a business located in the Amazon Rainforest exporting weed it seems like a perfectly logical acquisition. Highly likely to be an Amazon L.L.C. purchase given all the news. Then again Amazon L.L.C. doesn't exclusively own rights to the word " amazon " and I don't see there being a problem if the buyer isn't Amazon L.L.C. and doesn't do something dumb like park the name with ads related to Amazon L.L.C. In another scenario why can't a brand not trading from the Amazon Rainforest use the trading name Amazon Cannabis with a totally different brand and logo to Amazon L.L.C.?

Last edited:
•••
Where does the name amazon come from, replace the first a with free,.. and z with s..
yes it is a generic word but in their case it may be a made up word.

There is no risk in buying if used correctly, except for the amount. But there is risk
in selling, so why not take advantage of it (a late advice for the buyer).

Last edited:
•••
Parked for sale at afternic, but not listed Must be looking for a flip
Maybe the buyer googled his/her domain name and saw it being talked about at namepros and robbiesblog as first 2 results and didnt want publicity

•••
There is zero chance anyone other than Amazon would pay $25k for this name. None at all.

Not necessarily at all. If that's Amazon, why didn't they try to throw a UDRP case on such a name, instead of paying $25000? Or they could hummer the price down at least, threatening an arbitrage...

•••
Whoever bought this name, my guess is that the person was pretty ''high'' :)

The idea of someone growing marijuana near the Amazon river in South America is actually very logical - such a domain name would be awesome in terms of origin, facts, branding and appeal. The only point that worries me is the price - they should have known the risks associated with it. Or maybe they weren't aware - then again, see my first sentence ))

•••
Whoever bought this name, my guess is that the person was pretty ''high'' :)

The idea of someone growing marijuana near the Amazon river in South America is actually very logical - such a domain name would be awesome in terms of origin, facts, branding and appeal. The only point that worries me is the price - they should have known the risks associated with it. Or maybe they weren't aware - then again, see my first sentence ))

It is still illegal to grow marijuana in Amazon (at least in the Brazilian part)

•••
It is still illegal to grow marijuana in Amazon (at least in the Brazilian part)

In Colombia it is decriminalized, from what I know. In any case, I am not an expert in marijuana grow, my point was towards the domain name - if there is a clear and realistic connection between cannabis and Amazon river (and not the company!) in this name's use - the plaintiff (again, Amazon company) will lose such UDRP case.

•••
In Colombia it is decriminalized, from what I know. In any case, I am not an expert in marijuana grow, my point was towards the domain name - if there is a clear and realistic connection between cannabis and Amazon river (and not the company!) in this name's use - the plaintiff (again, Amazon company) will lose such UDRP case.
I understood your point and I agree with you
I was only saying that in the Brazilian part of the Forest (the biggest part is in Brazil) it is illegal and probably will stay like this for a long time

•••
Not necessarily at all. If that's Amazon, why didn't they try to throw a UDRP case on such a name, instead of paying $25000? Or they could hummer the price down at least, threatening an arbitrage...

To a billion dollar company $25k is cheaper than messing around with haggling, threatening or issuing UDRPs they might not win and will only generate negative publicity over.

As it is, I didn't even say Amazon bought it, I only said Amazon (a billion dollar company for whom $25k is small change) is the only one who would pay $25k for this name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back