IT.COM

discuss Dictionary word used by business but not copyrighted. Safe to get the domain?

NameSilo
Watch

namexf

Established Member
Impact
Lets suppose a socks factory is created and they choose the word "BANANA" to design their business. It is a dictionary word.
But they didn't bother to copyright the brand anywhere.
Lets suposse years later the domain banana.com is still available.
Lets suppose i buy it.
Later the factory decides to copyright their brand BANANA. (banana socks or just banana i don't know).
Would this be a concern for me?

Now lets get more difficult.
Lets suppose the same case but with a small difference. The name is not a dictionary word but a combination of words. For ex. "BRICKBANANA".
Would this case be more dangerous?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I could have a few domains in this situation, not sure. There are many small business all over the world with all kind of names. And it is easy to have one of these suddenly appearing in Google and matching your domain.
Most of these small business have no copyrights on their brand though. Or are expired.

Last edited:
•••
Lets suppose a socks factory is created and they choose the word "BANANA" to design their business. It is a dictionary word.
Lets suppose i buy it.
Later the factory decides to copyright their brand BANANA. (banana socks or just banana i don't know).

Lets suppose the same case but with a small difference. The name is not a dictionary word but a combination of words. For ex. "BRICKBANANA".
STOP ALREADY!!!!

•••
•••
Do you mean Trademark?
Copyright applies to things like books, music, films but not company or product names as I understand it.
Bob

•••
Do you mean Trademark?
Copyright applies to things like books, music, films but not company or product names as I understand it.
Bob
Oh. Sorry. Yes i meant trademark.
Sorry I can't edit it.

•••
There are million names available out there. Why get yourself into trouble?

•••
Same situation as in

xx link removed or else i cant post xx

?

Nope. In that case i registered the domain before the business name and the trademark.

•••
•••
if you don't use it and wait for offer from that company, that will not be problem.

•••
•••
What might be more up your alley is registering a domain like, DNfriends.com - and starting a forum where people can discuss endless situations with no real content. Seriously - there might be a need for that.

•••
What might be more up your alley is registering a domain like, DNfriends.com - and starting a forum where people can discuss endless situations with no real content. Seriously - there might be a need for that.

And you will certainly register on that forum to stalk me won't you?

•••
Lets suppose i buy it.

why don't you learn copyright law
or ask a lawyer

yes you can do so
in case you kow what you have to avoid

ask apple
they were starting to get trouble with the Beatles
after introducing iTunes

•••
if you don't use it and wait for offer from that company, that will not be problem.

Sorry i reply again.
So this domain would be rendered totally unusable?
Wouldn't i be allowed to use it to sell bananas or candies (not socks)??
Only parked and waiting for sell to the socks company??
I am not sure that this is correct.

•••
why don't you learn copyright law
or ask a lawyer

yes you can do so
in case you kow what you have to avoid

ask apple
they were starting to get trouble with the Beatles
after introducing iTunes

Thanks. Well, that case was a bit different because it didn' involve domains.
Anyway i infer that as long as i stay away from socks, i can une the banana.com for other uses.

Anyway, I copy here the Beatles vs Apple case:
Beatles sue Apple over trademark. The Beatles' record company Apple Corps today accused Apple Computer of breaching a trademark agreement by selling music online.

Essentially, after launching iTunes Apple became a record company. And violated the scope of another prior record company called Apple.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back