NameSilo

poll Develop on .com or ntld?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
If you were developing a site and had both the dot com name and matching nTld name, which one would you develop on? Dot com or redirect the dot com to the nTld?

For example: you own ShoeRepairGuide.com and ShoeRepair.guide. (Just pulled this one out of thin air.) What are your thoughts?

PS: I meant to have this post as a poll. Hit return key for tags and it got posted. Anyways, please leave your comments below.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As someone who mostly develops sites I find that if I am going to put serious effort into a site I am reluctant to use anything but a dot com. I have had several where it was a choice between a weaker dot com and a better dot info and I used the dot com.

That said, if people are going to find the site via search, I suspect most will never even notice what comes after the dot.

I think attitudes about domains in the general public are years behind what you see on NamePros.

•••
Dot com as the primary, the hack as forwarder, social media/advertising handle...

same as youtube.com, youtu.be, linkedin.com lnkd.in etc.

•••
Thanks for your input. I am seeing some entities developing on nTLD and forwarding the com to the site. But I think this is in an effort to bring awareness to and promote nTLD's.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back