NameSilo

analysis Demand for crypto domain names.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The overall momentum in the crypto market has changed from bearish to bullish and we can expect to see higher highs in crypto prices in the near and distant future.

This switch in the market is great for domain investors, more new startups will emerge in the crypto space and blockchain technology will continue to evolve.

Keywords to focus on for investment.
.com .org .io

Bit
Btc
Bitcoin
Crypto
Coin
Chain
Block
Blockchain
Faucet
Token
AirDrop

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How did you know Crypto stuff would become so big. It was not a popular concept in early 2010s. You must be an insider(?).

As everyone else here, I didn't know it would become so big, even though I told myself "this is the biggest invention since the Internet" after reading an article on how Bitcoin works for the third time (the first two I couldn't quite grasp it).

I had no insider information. I'm a curious person and was digging into one of my favorite forums at that time, the now defunct TalkGold - a haven for ponzi schemes and Internet scams, but also full of useful information on payment gateways, offshore structures, tax avoidance, etc. I remember I was specifically searching a better way for a remittance problem that I had, because Paypal was giving me so many headaches, when someone mentioned "bit coins" (with a space between). That was the start of it.

Mind you that in 2011, Bitcoin was already 2 years old and other early birds had had plenty of opportunity to go and grab the cream of the crop with respect of domains, which in fact they did. However, Bitcoin had just gone through one of its major crashes, and maybe because people thought the fad was over, they let the domains drop. I was an avid customer of SnapNames, buying premium names at $59.

I've never been much of a forum person but I did go to another Forum at that time and tried to gauge interest for Bitcoin, and with the exception of one guy, the whole community had a negative sentiment - fad, ponzi scheme, tool for criminals, etc. The amount of ignorance and lack of curiosity in such a brilliant technology the domaining community displayed at that time was staggering, with several domainers stating they would rather put money into "prime .com equity that will appreciate in value every year" than buy $100 worth of Bitcoin.

•••
If you have sound crypto domains in your portfolio, I recommend you try renting them out with a purchase option to the buyer, rather than simply selling. Undeveloped has an excellent tool for this.

Over the years, I rented a number of domains that came back to me when the projects eventually failed, and failure rate is very high during the "crypto winters". So far I've made high five figures only by renting out domains that were returned to me after a few months of use.

•••
There does appear to be a current reseller market trending for word + crypto domain assets. I just evaluated one a couple hours ago you might find interesting.
Asset Type:
Two-Words / Geo-Financial
Note: Eastern doesn't really hurt versatility because every town in ever city around the world has an eastern side. Something is always east of us. Versatile Geo's = A larger selection of potential buyers.
Note: That's good news. The number 1 definition gives Crypto versatility too, so that it's not trapped/isolated in the financial markets of Cryptocurrencies. It also means you have a larger potential buying market than more restricted uses of the word.
Note: Sure, that's cool too and probably the main reasons someone may like the asset in today's market. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the cryptocurrency niche will be the better buyers niche.
Opinion: This is great news for word + Crypto in today's reseller markets.The majority of those are all parked/landed and more than likely reseller purchases (With an exception of a couple). The bad news is that the majority are low 3-figure sales, but it at least gives a small cushion of reseller liquidity to fall back on.

Personally, I think that since your Geo is versatile, it has more value than most of those in the sales data, even though your's is a new registration. Today's market created a demand for the word + crypto combination and you happened to find one more versatility than most being sold. How long that demand will stick, is pure speculation, but the crypto combinations are still in a trend for now.

The hard part is identifying the potential end-user, gathering more research on their specific niche, formulating a presentation, negotiating, and closing.

Your asset does have a little reseller liquidity, but you will have to still do a lot of leg-work to find the right buyer and apply the hard parts I also mentioned above, which in most cases, investors fail at.
Full Evaluation - VIP/Gold Only

•••
Bought:
DecentralizedExchange.io

•••
•••
the problem isn't that mediocre names will sell for less. the problem is they won't sell at all.
we'd all be millionaires if all our mediocre names were selling for $500. but we aren't. cause they're not selling at all. and they just cost renewal.

but.. thats the art of domaining for all of us.. which takes years of experience.. to predict what will or won't sell. you don't learn that in a day from 5 posts. cheers.

•••
the problem isn't that mediocre names will sell for less. the problem is they won't sell at all.
we'd all be millionaires if all our mediocre names were selling for $500. but we aren't. cause they're not selling at all. and they just cost renewal.

but.. thats the art of domaining for all of us.. which takes years of experience.. to predict what will or won't sell. you don't learn that in a day from 5 posts. cheers.
Be selective on your acquisitions and steer clear of those names that don’t have many possible uses. No sense at all in hand regging a ton of names in a niche hoping to sell one or two. Be smart and selective with your investments and know there are buyers not there might be buyers. Same goes for any niche.

•••

Well, I can tell you that I sold many mediocre names for 500 on average. Almost one per month. I am not talking about garbage. A mediocre name for me is a two word domain with lower demand.

Last edited:
•••
I agree it will be a fad, but a good opp to capitalize on it in its early stages.

as with many fads and trends, good opportunities do exist, when you get in early.

that I can certainly agree with. :)

the thing is...
the early birds skim the cream from the top,
and most of the middle, gets resold around to domainers
the latecomers reg the sludge from the bottom,
while having the same hopes as those of the cream skimmers.

and that's being illustrated now in this thread, as members post their crypto domains

"time won't tell, when a fad has faded, until it's too late"

:)

imo...

•••
My $2 bet,

IEO////Xchange
IEO////Whale

.com

•••
THE GOLDEN CROSS IS CONFIRMED! SIT BACK AND TAKE THE PROFITS! BITCOINS BULLISH.
upload_2019-4-23_5-35-18.png

•••
what you guys think of these keywords .. in good extensions... any future potential there or sell earlier?

securitytokens
tokenizedsecurities

•••
I also bought Cryptocurrency.com off Sedo for $400

$400? This is unbelievable! How much did you sell it? I'm asking because this is definitely a X,XXX,XXX domain if it where to be mine.

•••
I posted a follow-up message and it is waiting moderation because I wrote the name of another domain community. How funny.

•••
HODLR.com
DecentralizedCrypto.com
CentralizedCrypto.com

•••
•••
there is around 15 namebio sales in any tld.. for krypto keyword

but I don't think its worth it much... still I'll porlly renew my two .io:

krypto coin
krypto bank

•••
which names did you sell for 5 figures?
have not sold any crypto names for 5 fig....came close with cryptolaws

off topic sold sliced in king to Drew Rosener for $xx,xxx purchased for around $9k at sedo auction.
this would be a good recent discussion topic...which names did you sell for 5 figs and tell us the story behind it... since most names sell for under $5k

Last edited:
•••
•••
Still holding onto
iBitcoins.com

•••
•••
•••
•••
Bitcoin's true owners are people who created it and who mined tons of it easily in early days, and who promoted it, and connected it to banks; and it is a brand, but it is supposed to be generic and noone can claim rights on it, because if its actual owners claim rights on it, then this would kill the whole bitcoin story: decentralized, opensource,... Bitcoin is a strong keyword in today's market. If bitcoin dies one day, then so will bitcoin domains, but this won't happen soon, if ever.

Last edited:
•••
i picked up some IEO domains - ieo.reviews // ieoreview.com // ieoreviews.com // ieoalerts.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back