IT.COM

security Dangerous Domain Corp.com Goes Up for Sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
As an early domain name investor, Mike O’Connor had by 1994 snatched up several choice online destinations, including bar.com, cafes.com, grill.com, place.com, pub.com and television.com. Some he sold over the years, but for the past 26 years O’Connor refused to auction perhaps the most sensitive domain in his stable — corp.com.

It is sensitive because years of testing shows whoever wields it would have access to an unending stream of passwords, email and other proprietary data belonging to hundreds of thousands of systems at major companies around the globe.

At issue is a problem known as “namespace collision”, a situation where domain names intended to be used exclusively on an internal company network end up overlapping with domains that can resolve normally on the open Internet.

read more (krebsonsecurity)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the early 2000's called, they want their paranoia back.

•••
the early 2000's called, they want their paranoia back.

Yeah, the comments and entry was posted on Saturday, February 8th, 2020

•••
•••
"O’Connor said he hopes Microsoft Corp. will buy it, but fears they won’t and instead it will get snatched up by someone working with organized cybercriminals"

Nice pitch. ;)

•••
Just $1.7 mil? I would have expected the price to be at least $5 mil.

•••
Can't believe MS would name internal networks ending in .com with a second level they didn't even own. So this is truly nuts. What was not known then about the power of domain names, and what is known now, 30 years later. And to think that the concept of the Internet was invented ~20 years before domain names!

Interesting stuff as always, Lox thx.

This stuff makes me wonder, what will we discover about blockchain tek 20-30 years from today, that we wished we would have known of? Not knowing what the future holds, is what makes today's investments so tantalizing.

Hats off to the pioneers, those taking the risks and the paths less traveled, seeing what's around the bend when others are looking for a straight line.

•••
lets see... if bunch of us here np members puts up 1k... how many people to get this into our collective folio...mmmmmmm looks like only 1700 members... think we can do it? whose in?

Last edited:
•••
I like the way Mike O’Connor has controlled his own destiny with his names through the years, selling them only we he wants to at the prices he wants. very cool stuff

•••
I like the way Mike O’Connor has controlled his own destiny with his names through the years, selling them only we he wants to at the prices he wants. very cool stuff

With good domains, you sell when you want to. With average domains, you sell when anyone wants one.

•••
...what will we discover about blockchain tek 20-30 years from today, that we wished we would have known of?

for now it's called Qutrit

Regards

•••
With good domains, you sell when you want to. With average domains, you sell when anyone wants one.

Yep, I remember a write up article on him back in 2003 or 2004 i think it was, very smooth dude, he knew what he had before anyone else did.

•••
•••
When he was acquiring some of the best domains in history, I had just been born. =)

•••
•••
•••
The story about bar.com is pretty nice as well. Just visit the domain :)

•••
Wow, clearly some really nice names in his portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back