Domain Empire

DAN.com outrageous fees?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lord Antares

Top Member
Impact
Hi all.

Just been awarded the 5 year forum membership trophy. I've been away from domaining doing other projects.

At the same time, I got an offer on DAN for a parked domain name which has a sale lander at the top.

He offered $1k but immediately accepted my $3500 counter offer.

DAN sends me I will be receiving $2441.25

Does anybody still use this platform? As soon as I heard they were going to be bought by godaddy, I knew this would happen.

That was the entire point of DAN (undeveloped.com then). They just provide a lander for a low commission.
They had jack all to do with this sale, yet happily took 30% commission. Bodis brought the lead here.

So what's going on lately? Are there any new options now? Any site which follows the philosophy of what DAN used to be? Anything not GD related? Maybe self hosting is the way to go nowadays?

Thanks all, I am glad for my 5 years on this forum though.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People from outside of the US call the standard 6% commission for Realtors "outrageous." E.g. in the UK a standard commission hovers between 1.25% to 2%. Keep in mind both markets use similar MLS platforms to share data with the public.

Why no outrage when domain brokerage commissions far exceeding the industry average are imposed?
Wow 6%!

Get them down to 1% or even lower here in the UK if you haggle. I mean they literally do nothing you can't do yourself. Even solicitors are pretty surplus to requirements for property purchases.

•••
So if you were in the EU you'd pay a total of 18.15%

Seems like they should make the fees 15% inclusive of VAT to be more transparent. Shouting from the rooftops that your FEES ARE 15 AND 25 PERCENT! unless your an EU resident in which case they're 18.15 and 30.25 percent Seems a little unfair to me.
true

•••
Delete them from daddy’s platform so someone else can add them.
Its the new thing, list other peoples and unregistered names on daddy and dan network and cut your initial costs.
Leave them there as make offer
I agree with you completely. Ultimately, it's on the users to conform or resist a change.

If they keep using the site, then that's confirmation for godaddy that they've done well.

By moving away from the platform, you send a message. I shall do so.

Keep in mind, that 25% is 30.25% for me.
We should toggle all our names to hidden for a few days, that would send a message but there is no we in domaining so we must play monopoly

•••
How are you going to control that? (AN/Dan) Not sure that would fly.
If I set BIN to my Custom Lander to say $5k, and I get an offer on DAN listing, there I'll only accept a sum that'll be $5K after deducting their 25% cut.

However, if the client is clever enough to go through my Custom Lander, instead of the listings on Afternic/DAN, then the client would have to pay much less.

Either way, I end up getting $5k.

Last edited:
•••
You need to reach their customer service for more details about the extra 5.25%. Is it related to an error coming from their systems or something else?

•••
•••
I'm with you there, but... your own payment/checkout system is hard to trust. No one is throwing X,xxx at a random site. Dan has the reputation.

The best other alternative is to Escrow.com it, but then again, that's harder because the buyer can't just pay instantly.

No one is supposed to throw money at a random site. Obviously, the transactions would go through Escrow.

•••
I see more and more people going the self hosted route especially with domains that bring their own traffic or their own self marketing. It may cost a little upfront but these commissions can be way to expensive in the long run.

•••
Why no outrage when domain brokerage commissions far exceeding the industry average are imposed?

Especially while Daddy DomBucks is raking in all the profits from expired auctions.

•••
I understand where the extra 5.25% is coming from now.

Surely, there must be better alternatives out there in 2023. To pay 30% for what was basically just escrow is unacceptable.

I guess self hosting is the way to go now.
15% if you point your nameservers to Afternic is a good deal in my book.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back