IT.COM

DAN.com outrageous fees?

NameSilo
Watch

Lord Antares

Top Member
Impact
Hi all.

Just been awarded the 5 year forum membership trophy. I've been away from domaining doing other projects.

At the same time, I got an offer on DAN for a parked domain name which has a sale lander at the top.

He offered $1k but immediately accepted my $3500 counter offer.

DAN sends me I will be receiving $2441.25

Does anybody still use this platform? As soon as I heard they were going to be bought by godaddy, I knew this would happen.

That was the entire point of DAN (undeveloped.com then). They just provide a lander for a low commission.
They had jack all to do with this sale, yet happily took 30% commission. Bodis brought the lead here.

So what's going on lately? Are there any new options now? Any site which follows the philosophy of what DAN used to be? Anything not GD related? Maybe self hosting is the way to go nowadays?

Thanks all, I am glad for my 5 years on this forum though.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The commission is 25% if not on a lander in GoDaddy’s umbrella and 15% if it was pointing to DAN or another GD lander.

There are several threads here with great debates on this. Welcome Back.

Last edited:
•••
The maximum they can deduct 25% commission only, how come you were deducted 30%? Contact Dan immediately and ask explanation.

Last edited:
•••
The maximum they can deduct 25% commission only, how come you were deducted 50%? Contact Dan immediately and ask explanation.
It's not 50%.

It's $3,500 * 0.25 * 1.21 VAT = $1,058.75 total fee (=30.25% including VAT)

Last edited:
•••
It's not 50%.

It's $3,500 * 0.25 * 1.21 VAT = $1,058,75 total fee (=30.25% including VAT)

I understand where the extra 5.25% is coming from now.

Surely, there must be better alternatives out there in 2023. To pay 30% for what was basically just escrow is unacceptable.

I guess self hosting is the way to go now.

•••

Surely, there must be better alternatives out there in 2023. To pay 30% for what was basically just escrow is unacceptable.

15% if you point your nameservers to Afternic is a good deal in my book.

•••

On Dan you collect and remit the VAT, but in case of self hosting you don't pay any VAT? How come?

You can adjust your VAT settings in your DAN account.

It is not 30% commission. The commission is 25% or 15%, depending on your settings.

•••
On Dan you collect and remit the VAT, but in case of self hosting you don't pay any VAT? How come?

You can adjust your VAT settings in your DAN account.

It is not 30% commission. The commission is 25% or 15%, depending on your settings.
No, this is about the VAT on DAN's service fee.

•••
For completeness, the VAT on DAN's service fee is only applicable for EU sellers.

https://dan.com/sell_your_domain

1678795464688.png

•••
You need to reach their customer service for more details about the extra 5.25%. Is it related to an error coming from their systems or something else?

•••
You need to reach their customer service for more details about the extra 5.25%. Is it related to an error coming from their systems or something else?
Please read this thread. It's the VAT on DAN's service fee. Not an error.

Last edited:
•••
I'm currently using DAN and Afternic, but will eventually self host my most valuable domains with escrow.com payment.

Will still list on Afternic and DAN and on other market places, but only for the exposure. And of course without BIN. Buyers will pay all the fees if the sales happen there. But clever buyers will hopefully find the landers with escrow.com payment.

Too much monopoly going on out there, need to get back some control.

Best wishes,
Fayaz.

•••
I got an offer on DAN for a parked domain name which has a sale lander at the top.
Hi

where was the name parked and did it have ppc links with a "for sale" banner on the page?

Bodis brought the lead here.
Hi
how did bodis bring the lead?
did you send the offers directly to Dan or did you ask buyer to purchase at Dan?

if you can show that you brought the buyer to Dan to perform the transaction, then your commission should be much lower.

imo...

•••
Unfortunately this move by GoDaddy to impose a 25% "head tax" on transactions initiated outside of its sphere of influence has not been met with the outrage it deserves.

•••
sold 2 .coms recently with a straight 15% commission, no problems. both on dan landers.

•••
What nameservers were you using? If its DAN's then it should be 15%

•••
I'm currently using DAN and Afternic, but will eventually self host my most valuable domains with escrow.com payment.

Will still list on Afternic and DAN and on other market places, but only for the exposure. And of course without BIN. Buyers will pay all the fees if the sales happen there. But clever buyers will hopefully find the landers with escrow.com payment.

Too much monopoly going on out there, need to get back some control.

Best wishes,
Fayaz.

Absolutely. Domainers get let themselves get run over. Keep switching to lesser commissions sites when they come up or better yet, self host.
We don't need their commissions.

Hi

where was the name parked and did it have ppc links with a "for sale" banner on the page?

Hi
how did bodis bring the lead?
did you send the offers directly to Dan or did you ask buyer to purchase at Dan?

if you can show that you brought the buyer to Dan to perform the transaction, then your commission should be much lower.

imo...

Yes, it was parked at bodis with a for sale lander which lead to the dan landing page.

I agree that they had jack all to do with the sale but their TOS is clear. Their landing page = 15% + VAT.
Not their landing page = 25% + VAT. It wasn't an imported lead either, technically.

I agree that it doesn't make sense because they had even less to do with the sale than if I had used their lander but they could argue that their direct lander would have led to a higher chance of the sale.

Either way, I doubt they wanna hear it as they're covered by their TOS.

•••
•••
People from outside of the US call the standard 6% commission for Realtors "outrageous." E.g. in the UK a standard commission hovers between 1.25% to 2%. Keep in mind both markets use similar MLS platforms to share data with the public.

Why no outrage when domain brokerage commissions far exceeding the industry average are imposed?

•••
sold 2 .coms recently with a straight 15% commission, no problems. both on dan landers.
So if you were in the EU you'd pay a total of 18.15%

Seems like they should make the fees 15% inclusive of VAT to be more transparent. Shouting from the rooftops that your FEES ARE 15 AND 25 PERCENT! unless your an EU resident in which case they're 18.15 and 30.25 percent Seems a little unfair to me.

•••
Why no outrage when domain brokerage commissions far exceeding the industry average are imposed?

Especially while Daddy DomBucks is raking in all the profits from expired auctions.

•••
People from outside of the US call the standard 6% commission for Realtors "outrageous." E.g. in the UK a standard commission hovers between 1.25% to 2%. Keep in mind both markets use similar MLS platforms to share data with the public.

Wow 6%!

Get them down to 1% or even lower here in the UK if you haggle. I mean they literally do nothing you can't do yourself. Even solicitors are pretty surplus to requirements for property purchases.

•••
Unfortunately this move by GoDaddy to impose a 25% "head tax" on transactions initiated outside of its sphere of influence has not been met with the outrage it deserves.

I agree with you completely. Ultimately, it's on the users to conform or resist a change.

If they keep using the site, then that's confirmation for godaddy that they've done well.

By moving away from the platform, you send a message. I shall do so.

Keep in mind, that 25% is 30.25% for me.

•••
So if you were in the EU you'd pay a total of 18.15%

Seems like they should make the fees 15% inclusive of VAT to be more transparent. Shouting from the rooftops that your FEES ARE 15 AND 25 PERCENT! unless your an EU resident in which case they're 18.15 and 30.25 percent Seems a little unfair to me.
true

•••
Delete them from daddy’s platform so someone else can add them.
Its the new thing, list other peoples and unregistered names on daddy and dan network and cut your initial costs.
Leave them there as make offer
I agree with you completely. Ultimately, it's on the users to conform or resist a change.

If they keep using the site, then that's confirmation for godaddy that they've done well.

By moving away from the platform, you send a message. I shall do so.

Keep in mind, that 25% is 30.25% for me.
We should toggle all our names to hidden for a few days, that would send a message but there is no we in domaining so we must play monopoly

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back