Dynadot

DAN Afternic Integration - Bad Customer Experience

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainDepot

Top Member
Impact
I have had DAN and Afternic accounts for 5+ years each. I've had 99% great customer experiences with them.

I started using the @DAN.COM enabled Afternic integration. It seems like a great idea and obvious connection now that they are both under the @GoDaddy brand.

I sold a domain recently that I had on DAN through the enabled Afternic network listing. The payment was secured and the DAN bot requested auth codes.
  • It has been 2 weeks and the transfer has not happened.
  • At first they said the auth codes failed. I had to call GoDaddy to generate a new set of auth codes.
  • I submitted the new auth codes and the transfer has not happened.
  • DAN team keeps telling me I will receive a notification from Afternic team within 24 hours to start/approve transfer
  • I asked DAN team if I could push to DAN and they give auth codes to Afternic (nope)
  • I called Afternic support directly - they said it was some European registry DAN partner - and that things should get moving within 24 hours. That was days ago.
  • I can't see the transaction in my Afternic account since I enabled it directly from my DAN account.
  • The DAN customer support has not been very helpful and sends more or less the same message to all of my questions: "We sent a notification to Aftenic to update us about this. Once they reply, we will proceed to the next steps."
  • They also won't put in contact with the Afternic team they are working with.....
My worst customer experience with them by far. I would reconsider enabling the the Afternic MLS direct through DAN.

Anyone else have this experience?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I messaged @James Iles with some questions about the Afternic integration with Dan.com to try to get some answers.

It is not something I have used in the past, as I prefer to keep Afternic/Dan separate.

However, since Dan.com opted everyone in automatically, I have seen a lot of customer confusion and complaints of glitches with the system.

Hopefully James can clarify some of the questions about how the integration works, as well as looking into the reported issues and glitches with it.

Brad

•••
[Please set aside any roles I have in the industry, I am writing this as a DAN customer experience, in a personal capacity]

I was not happy accepting a purchase offer last month on a domain knowing the commission got jacked up from 9% to 15%. But I accepted, not realizing I had been force-opted into something.

The "buyer" the offer that came through on DAN looked like the typical 15% fellow DAN user, but ended up being a user named "Afternic Network" and I got charged the outrageous rate of 25% on my invoice.

My issue was that the percentages should be clearly communicated as part of the negotiation, and the only way I found out I had been pickpocketed another 10% was when the invoice showed it.

#weoptedyouintosomethinggoodforusbutnotyou vs #doyouaccept

The awareness arrives after domain was gone, and GoDaddy took 10% extra under the auspices of their change notice.

I am afraid this exceeded my tolerance.

I am no longer recommending DAN, and have great alternatives that I am exploring.

The sacharine scenarios presented in the rate announcement that heralded it being more profitable were viewed with skepticism across portfilio holders. The examples were "jedi-worded" to paint rainbow utopias about certain profit percentages shifting which wallet they enter in the commission changes.

I raised my concern about the sale appearing as a 15% commission salet with DAN support. They cut and pasted the recent rate increase notice as response in a very dismissive manner, suggesting that I need to use their landers to qualify for the 15% rate.

When a customer takes the time to reach out to fix a situation, that is a lifeline for your relationship with that customer. Cutting the rope detaches the customer. The response cut the rope for me.

One might take a moment to look at that customer's lifetime value, or market influence in the process of responding. I have done a fair amount of business with DAN and referred a hell of a lot of sellers and buyers.

I had mostly been getting sales that never consummate from low-context cultural regions since the acquisition. The commission spike and GZF attitude have unfortunately assisted me across the descision to move my and managed portfolios to other options and recommending this action to others.

Goodbye, DAN, and thank you for when things were good. Sorry to see the vibe deteriorate for "fiduciary responsiblity" purpose. Good luck with that.

[edited after posting to soften the language]

Last edited:
•••
[Please set aside any roles I have in the industry, I am writing this as a DAN customer experience, in a personal capacity]

I was not happy accepting a purchase offer last month on a domain knowing the commission got jacked up from 9% to 15%. But I accepted, not realizing I had been force-opted into something.

The "buyer" the offer that came through on DAN looked like the typical 15% fellow DAN user, but ended up being a user named "Afternic Network" and I got charged the anklegrab rate of 25% on my invoice.

My issue was that the percentages should be clearly communicated as part of the negotiation, and the only way I found out I had been pickpocketed another 10% was when the invoice showed it.

#wescrewedyou vs #doyouaccept

The awareness arrives after domain was gone, and GoDaddy pilfered 10% extra under the auspices of their change notice.

I am afraid this exceeded my "fuck around and find out" tolerance.

I am no longer recommending DAN, and have great alternatives that I am exploring.

The sacharine scenarios presented in the rate announcement that heralded it being more profitable were viewed with skepticism across portfilio holders. The examples were "jedi-worded" to paint rainbow utopias about certain profit percentages shifting which wallet they enter in the commission changes.

I raised my concern about the sale appearing as a 15% commission salet with DAN support. They cut and pasted the recent rate increase notice as response in a very dismissive manner, suggesting that I need to use their landers to qualify for the 15% rate.

When a customer takes the time to reach out to fix a situation, that is a lifeline for your relationship with that customer. Cutting the rope detaches the customer. The response cut the rope for me.

One might take a moment to look at that customer's lifetime value, or market influence in the process of responding. I have done a fair amount of business with DAN and referred a hell of a lot of sellers and buyers.

I had mostly been getting sales that never consummate from low-context cultural regions since the acquisition. The commission spike and GZF attitude have unfortunately assisted me across the descision to move my and managed portfolios to other options and recommending this action to others.

Goodbye, DAN, and thank you for when things were good. Sorry to see the vibe deteriorate for "fiduciary responsiblity" purpose. Good luck with that.
I am not happy about the fee increases, specifically the anti-competitive 25% penalty.

GoDaddy can frame it as a 15% reward all they want, but that is not how the vast majority of customers seem to see it.

I think these moves are extremely short sighted on GoDaddy's part.

Domain investors provide the fuel. They provide income via registration, renewal, and auction purchases as well as feed the system with inventory for sale.

GoDaddy has burned a lot of bridges with these recent moves. I know many people who have moved services or are currently exploring other options.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have had DAN and Afternic accounts for 5+ years each. I've had 99% great customer experiences with them.

I started using the @DAN.COM enabled Afternic integration. It seems like a great idea and obvious connection now that they are both under the @GoDaddy brand.

I sold a domain recently that I had on DAN through the enabled Afternic network listing. The payment was secured and the DAN bot requested auth codes.
  • It has been 2 weeks and the transfer has not happened.
  • At first they said the auth codes failed. I had to call GoDaddy to generate a new set of auth codes.
  • I submitted the new auth codes and the transfer has not happened.
  • DAN team keeps telling me I will receive a notification from Afternic team within 24 hours to start/approve transfer
  • I asked DAN team if I could push to DAN and they give auth codes to Afternic (nope)
  • I called Afternic support directly - they said it was some European registry DAN partner - and that things should get moving within 24 hours. That was days ago.
  • I can't see the transaction in my Afternic account since I enabled it directly from my DAN account.
  • The DAN customer support has not been very helpful and sends more or less the same message to all of my questions: "We sent a notification to Aftenic to update us about this. Once they reply, we will proceed to the next steps."
  • They also won't put in contact with the Afternic team they are working with.....
My worst customer experience with them by far. I would reconsider enabling the the Afternic MLS direct through DAN.

Anyone else have this experience?

I am going through a similar situation.

•••
I asked Dan customer service outright if their service and lightning fast payouts remain the same if sale originates from Afternic. They admitted delays are to be expected.

Blame Afternic and GD who mucks everything up. I don’t think they are used to working as hard and quickly as DAN employees were obviously trained to do.

•••
I asked Dan customer service outright if their service and lightning fast payouts remain the same if sale originates from Afternic. They admitted delays are to be expected.

By the time you get paid, you will forget you made a sale.

•••
Update:

After getting essentially nothing from DAN (similar responses that they are pursuing Afternic response), I was able to get info from GoDaddy/Afternic on my own that the new Auth codes were sitting with the buyer, who had not started the transfer.

I then got an abrupt message from DAN that the transaction was cancelled by the buyer. Buyer had previously completed payment.

I believe that the $2K-5K purchase range is for impulsive type buys and timing is critical to close such transactions. It took over 2 weeks to get any actual info from DAN. I consider the customer service, untimely manner of information provided, and lack of urgency to be a non-trivial contributor to losing this sale.

By far the poorest DAN experience I have had to date, which is unlike my previous experiences with DAN.

I opted out of the DAN-Afternic integration and will be evaluating alternatives for all of my DAN names (i.e. Efty or other).

@DAN.COM @LaszloSchenk

Last edited:
•••
Update:

After getting essentially nothing from DAN (similar responses that they are pursuing Afternic response), I was able to get info from GoDaddy/Afternic on my own that the new Auth codes were sitting with the buyer, who had not started the transfer.

I then got an abrupt message from DAN that the transaction was cancelled by the buyer. Buyer had previously completed payment.

I believe that the $2K-5K purchase range is for impulsive type buys and timing is critical to close such transactions. It took over 2 weeks to get any actual info from DAN. I consider the customer service, untimely manner of information provided, and lack of urgency to be a non-trivial contributor to losing this sale.

By far the poorest DAN experience I have had to date, which is unlike my previous experiences with DAN.

I opted out of the DAN integration and will be evaluating alternatives for all of my DAN names (i.e. Efty or other).

Sorry to hear that.

•••
Dan will be gone soon just like Uni.

•••
I have to agree with all previous messages. I will not renew my domains with GD which charge an outrageous fee of nearly £18 + VAT at 20% I am slowly reducing my domain names as soon as they become due to renew to a more friendly and competitive registrar at much less than half GD fees.

•••
I have to agree with all previous messages. I will not renew my domains with GD which charge an outrageous fee of nearly £18 + VAT at 20% I am slowly reducing my domain names as soon as they become due to renew to a more friendly and competitive registrar at much less than half GD fees.
GD nickels and dime you to death- to get any service , GD wants you to join this club and this and that and you have to pay....s f ridiculous

•••
here is a conversation I had with a customer service rep a couple of months ago on DAN and this tells a lot!:

ME: hi. why do so many domain names on my dan account shows they are not listed on Afternic? THEY RE

DAN: Thank you for contacting us.
Do you perhaps have an account with Afternic directly already?

ME: Yes, True

DAN: That causes them to show this status. It
would not be recommended to opt into Dan through the integration if you already have an Afternic account.
All the best,

•••
•••
GoDaddy has burned a lot of bridges with these recent moves. I know many people who have moved services or are currently exploring other options.

Brad
All my GoDaddy domains are being moved to Dynadot as we speak. Landing pages will be Efty for a year. I'll enable Afternic & Sedo MLS on a good percentage of them. My Efty pages will have lower buy it nows then the Afternic & Sedo pages. Buyer comes to my Efty lander then the domain is cheaper and I can route payment to Sedo, Dan, Escrow, EscrowDomains, or direct wire to my business account. They insist on buying through Sedo or Afternic page then they can pay the extra fees as I'm pricing a little higher on the MLS networks over my own pages.

This move was a combo of...

Wanting to tap into both MLS networks=Dynadot
Bulk & Super Bulk Pricing=Dynadot
And a little bit of saying goodbye to the GoDaddy monopoly I've been using for 20+ years, thought of doing this before but the thought of transferring all my domains didn't excite me but got some time now so I'll give it a shot.

Personally think both MLS should be a flat 15%, when you get into 20-25% range then I think so I get no buyer info plus your taking that much I'll go back to my own pages or Efty. Then ya have certain registrars raising your MLS price above your listed price as well so it's a monopoly wild west out there.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back