Dynadot

domain dairy.supply - is it a 5 figure domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

batsman2015

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

So I registered the domain names www.dairy.supply and www.dairy.global as I saw massive value in them.

I hand registered these domains and I'm not going to daydream about selling it for a million dollars! I only register a domain name if I see some buzz about that particular industry.

The world dairy industry is MASSIVE and is buzzing with China leading massive investments in dairy farms around the world.Now with China lifting it's one-child policy (more babies = more dairy demand!) there has been a massive increase in dairy company stock and value. As we speak, the world's biggest dairy farm is being built in China! The world's 2nd biggest dairy farm is also in China. See article below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ssian-demand-Moscow-boycotted-EU-exports.html

Fonterra is a New Zealand dairy company worth billions of dollars and they announced they will be focusing on e-commerce to sell its products in China and globally. See article below:

https://farmersweekly.co.nz/article/fonterra-to-double-chinese-income?p=6

These 2 domain names will be perfect for online dairy auctions and stock information which is an important part of any dairy company. See article: http://dairy.ahdb.org.uk/market-inf...olesale-prices/fonterra-auction/#.VkwFZ_krKM8

Now we all know Chinese companies pay big for domain names,and we have billion dollar dairy companies in New Zealand, USA, Russia etc.. who are all moving their focus to online.

So is it fair to think the 2 domain names would be worth at least $20k each?

Let me know what you guys think the domains are worth!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The keywords might be big, but serious companies wont develop on these new extensions

Its fine having nice keywords but 99% of companies don't know these new extension even exist

•••
The keywords might be big, but serious companies wont develop on these new extensions

Its fine having nice keywords but 99% of companies don't know these new extension even exist
I agree that most companies don't even know these extensions exist and won't develop them because there are 100's of new extensions being introduced every month and its difficult to keep up with them.

But in regards to the dairy industry, there won't be a more relevant extension than .supply right? "Dairy supply" is often used to describe these billion dollar companies. At the moment these companies only go by .com and are probably unaware of new extensions. If they were made aware of new extensions, they won't even consider .xyz, .io, etc because they don't appeal to dairy companies and doesn't describe their business at all and competitors can't do any harm registering those random extensions. No keyword value either. But if any one of these companies want to be a global leader in dairy supply, wouldn't www.dairy.supply be the ideal domain name for them? and the fact that "dairy supply" is a very good keyword combination?

Thanks for your opinion though really appreciate it :)

•••
If they were made aware of new extensions,

Unfortunately, domainers and registrars have been trying to do this for years without any luck, a lot of times with decent extensions that make a lot of sense....they are just not willing to change

69girleys.com awsome keyword?

Not sure what you mean by this one?

•••
It's about marketing skills when it comes to nGTLDs. It doesn't just take good marketing skills to sell a nGTLD, but it also takes good marketing skills for an end user to use them effectively (like any other extension). Dairy.Supply is an excellent domain IMO, but you will need to do out bound to sell it, because you can't expect to get any inbound inquiries at this point in time yet. nGTLDs are still gaining ground, so until then work on the pitch on how an end user can put this domain to use (which won't be as easy as explaining the benefits of a dot com, but can be done). Be resourceful as a domain *adviser* rather than just a "salesman".

This is what you've got to do for a domain of any extension.

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately, domainers and registrars have been trying to do this for years without any luck, a lot of times with decent extensions that make a lot of sense....they are just not willing to change

Not sure what you mean by this one?
What do you think of this domain? Any value? Thanks.

•••
as some of the domaines said, these companies are well established, they often dont even need marketing, because they sell directly to retailers. I think you going to have a hard time selling it. The best thing is to try and find someone who is about to open a dairy business, which will be really hard to do and I dont see how they will pay you a fortune for it. It is always a good idea to stick with generic domains, meaning domains that you can almost sell to anyone. Good luck.

•••
Dairy.Supply is not a bad combo, but I don't see much resale value. The term in .com is not in use and it is not even regged in NET/ORG. If the term was in that much demand that would probably not be the case.

Brad

•••
so what do you guys think the 2 domains are worth?

•••
I like dairy.global more than dairy.supply... still, I think that both have no resale value. Maybe I would put a BIN around $3,000 and wait for a year, see if there is any interest. Still, not much chances IMO. I would not register myself either domain...

•••
Guys don't forget I also have www.dairy.global and www.dairy.supplies

As regards to www.dairy.supplies it can be developed into an e-commerce/auction platform to sell dairy products to China and globally..?

Is it a good idea to approach the big companies and offer the 3 domains as a bundle?

I'm not going to be greedy and quote big prices.I'm thinking along the lines of $30-$40k for all 3. If any of the highly competitive companies want to establish a strong online presence they wouldn't mind paying a really small fee of $40k as compared to paying $1 million+ for Dairy.com right? Possibly many more millions! My domains has the "dairy supplies" keyword value too if I'm not wrong and the .global target audience aswel..

Keep your opinions coming guys very interested to see if I'm looking too far or if I'm in for a decent sale

•••
I'm not going to be greedy and quote big prices.I'm thinking along the lines of $30-$40k for all 3. If any of the highly competitive companies want to establish a strong online presence they wouldn't mind paying a really small fee of $40k as compared to paying $1 million+ for Dairy.com right?

Sorry, but $30K - $40K is being greedy for these domains. These are not dominant keyword combos. I think your expectations are unrealistic for extensions with virtually no primary or secondary market.

Also, there is no comparison between Dairy.whatever and Dairy.com.

Brad

•••
Sorry, but $30K - $40K is being greedy for these domains. These are not dominant keyword combos. I think your expectations are unrealistic for extensions with virtually no primary or secondary market.

Also, there is no comparison between Dairy.whatever and Dairy.com.

Brad
Hi Brad, I have to disagree with you here. First of all,there is a MASSIVE comparison between dairy.whatever and dairy.com. The difference could be anywhere from a whopping $1-$5 Million or even more.

Secondly,I respect your view that $30k-$40k is an unrealistic expectation from me. But did you consider the end user here? I'm not targeting a domain investor here.In that case yes,it would be too much to ask for.But I'm targeting Dairy Supplies companies,hence www.Dairy.Supplies ! $30k for a company generating several billion dollars a year in revenue is literally nothing.They can easily afford Dairy.com aswel,and they will do so very soon.Why they haven't done it before is because the dairy industry is late to move online.It is happening now as said in the articles.

Once again thanks for the reply!you could well be right or I could end up with a decent sale here! I will start approaching these big companies and let you know their response.

•••
Hi Brad, I have to disagree with you here. First of all,there is a MASSIVE comparison between dairy.whatever and dairy.com. The difference could be anywhere from a whopping $1-$5 Million or even more.

Secondly,I respect your view that $30k-$40k is an unrealistic expectation from me. But did you consider the end user here? I'm not targeting a domain investor here.In that case yes,it would be too much to ask for.But I'm targeting Dairy Supplies companies,hence www.Dairy.Supplies ! $30k for a company generating several billion dollars a year in revenue is literally nothing.They can easily afford Dairy.com aswel,and they will do so very soon.Why they haven't done it before is because the dairy industry is late to move online.It is happening now as said in the articles.

Once again thanks for the reply!you could well be right or I could end up with a decent sale here! I will start approaching these big companies and let you know their response.

I mainly considered the keyword value and lack of demand to pay premium prices for new gTLD.

Dairy Supplies has 480 searches/month on Google. Dairy Supply has 210. These are not the monster category killing keywords.

Dairy Products for instance is a much more natural term. That has 33,100 searches/month.
That .COM is available for only $5K BIN.

Most of your response is just theory. Unless there is a buyer willing to pay your price the rest is not relevant.

Best of luck.

Brad

•••
i say no

why

dairy companies already operate under their own brand names or company names, they don't need a .whatever to be online.

chinese may be buying domain names, but nobody will be buying milk based products from China, you can believe that

Good Luck, though

imo....

•••
I'm not going to be greedy and quote big prices.I'm thinking along the lines of $30-$40k for all 3.
LOL seriously. You know, there are not so many domains that sell in that range...
I found just a few reported sales for the keyword 'dairy' (between 2006 and 2013), the highest being dairy.co.uk $12086. The rest are low $$$$.

I see several problems:
  • dairy is not a keyword that is very much sought after, hence few sales.
  • the odds of making a sale are remote in new extensions. Especially when you are not a registry...
  • besides, end users have plenty of choice, they could choose another suitable extension (hundreds and soon thousands to choose from), and bypass the domainer completely - I can't see a reason why they absolutely must have your domain, especially at the price you're asking.
Don't fall for the hype.

•••
LOL seriously. You know, there are not so many domains that sell in that range...
I found just a few reported sales for the keyword 'dairy' (between 2006 and 2013), the highest being dairy.co.uk $12086. The rest are low $$$$.

I see several problems:
  • dairy is not a keyword that is very much sought after, hence few sales.
  • the odds of making a sale are remote in new extensions. Especially when you are not a registry...
  • besides, end users have plenty of choice, they could choose another suitable extension (hundreds and soon thousands to choose from), and bypass the domainer completely - I can't see a reason why they absolutely must have your domain, especially at the price you're asking.
Don't fall for the hype.
I agree with you mostly but what would be a better extension than .supply for a leader in the dairy supply industry?

Going by the replies I take it the domains are not as valuable as I initially thought they were.Fair enough!I came here to learn so thanks for the advice peeps!

•••
What do you think of this domain? Any value? Thanks.

Ive given my comments to the OP?

I'm not going to be greedy and quote big prices.I'm thinking along the lines of $30-$40k for all 3. If any of the highly competitive companies want to establish a strong online presence they wouldn't mind paying a really small fee of $40k as compared to paying $1 million+ for Dairy.com right? Possibly many more millions! My domains has the "dairy supplies" keyword value too if I'm not wrong and the .global target audience aswel..

This is being very greedy Im afraid, dont ever compare these new extensions to a premium .COM like Dairy.com, its just not realistic

You just wont get anywhere near 30K for name(s) like this, have a look at previous sales of these extensions, there is no market for them

You can target all the end-users you want but finding one that is willing to invest decent $$ in an extension that he has never heard of will be almost impossible

Dairy.Supplies would have been slightly better as well, the singular doesnt sound right

Last edited:
•••
This goes for both dairy.supply and supplies:

"dairy" Is a very limited market. Anyone can buy a domain name and put some affiliate program on it, or build their own website for something, but "dairy supply" is not something anyone other than dairy suppliers would do. And there won't be many new start ups either.

As regards to www.dairy.supplies it can be developed into an e-commerce/auction platform to sell dairy products to China and globally..?
There's a "dairy affiliate program"? If not, you'd have to do as much work marketing etc as you would if you just setup your own dairy company.

And with transport times VS milk shelf life, who wants sour milk? ;)

At the moment, most of the new TLDs don't fetch bigbucks, or above $xx, because no-one cares or knows about them. Especially with a tiny niche like "dairy" (ie it's not something like "laptop.supply")

All that said, as always, do the right marketing and target the right end users correctly, and you may sell to a current dairy company for a decent value. What "decent" is can be anybody's "guess".

So my (humble) evaluation for dairy.supply and supplies is $x,xxx with lots of time and work put in and an absolute need (luck) for one of the dairy companies to be wanting a new domain name.
Some re-sellers might buy it, but very few, and then it's likely be $xx to mid $xxx absolute max.

As for "dairy.global", is there such a thing as a global dairy supplier? I have no idea.

I'm not going to be greedy and quote big prices.I'm thinking along the lines of $30-$40k for all 3
Wanting lots of money is not "greed", and those who have already stated "this is greedy" would not turn down $100K for "dairy.supplies"! :D

However $30-$40k is very unrealistic. Not "technically" impossible, but not realistic.
Take a step back, stop wanting $40,000 (like we all do) and consider this very carefully:
"travel.global" sold in September 2015 for $9,000

"Travel" industry is much much much greater than "dairy"! While that does not "mean" you will get less than 9K, it is all we have to go on unless we know what all dairy companies thought about buying your domain name.

Here would be a good starting point:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dairy_products_companies_by_country

Good luck, I hope you sell it for $xx,xxx to a big corp ;)

•••
It's about marketing skills when it comes to nGTLDs. It doesn't just take good marketing skills to sell a nGTLD, but it also takes good marketing skills for an end user to use them effectively (like any other extension). Dairy.Supply is an excellent domain IMO, but you will need to do out bound to sell it, because you can't expect to get any inbound inquiries at this point in time yet. nGTLDs are still gaining ground, so until then work on the pitch on how an end user can put this domain to use (which won't be as easy as explaining the benefits of a dot com, but can be done). Be resourceful as a domain *adviser* rather than just a "salesman".

This is what you've got to do for a domain of any extension.

Personally since you own it, I'd contact dairy.com. They may have an idea of how to use it. I THINK $20k is too ambitious...accept $5K!!

•••
Low, possibly mid $x,xxx. They truly aren't that valuable for a lot of reasons already listed. BUT, if you work hard at finding a buyer you may get lucky. If you sit and wait for a buyer you will have this for many years to come.

•••
Thanks for the help guys! Remember I said $30-$40k for the 3 domains as a bundle and not for a single domain. But I don't think it makes it any better lol. You guys know best! I will do a lot of outbound since this is not a domain to expect any inbound queries for.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back