IT.COM

Cybersquatters Try New Tactics

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dave_Z

Electrifying GuyTop Member
Impact
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/internet/0,70475-0.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2

Cybersquatting the domain name of a celebrity and selling it for a king's ransom was one of the great get-rich-quick schemes of the early internet. But since courts now tend to favor the star over the squatter, a new kinder, gentler cybersquatting tactic has emerged.

These days, cybersquatters seek to register a star's domain before that person becomes famous, and then develop a business relationship with the new celebrity, offering website hosting or design work.

There are a few lessons to be learned from that article. I hope you see them. ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good article. The "soft-squatter" term is really interesting. Personally I feel I am within that category as I develop all the names I have. What the guy did with William Hung is perfect example of how to monetize a domain that has potential TM issues or squatting problems.

Where there is a law there is a loophole.

•••
And where there is a loophole there is a Labrocca LOL

•••
DNQuest.com said:

:lol:

•••
Coming off as friendly and helpful will always tend to get you into less legal trouble than holding out for ransom.

•••
the article said that Chin used adword. What did he do using adword? I thought you can not use adword for parked names or adsense sites.

•••
cache said:
the article said that Chin used adword. What did he do using adword? I thought you can not use adword for parked names or adsense sites.

And if the celebrity had some smart representation, that fact would be pointed out....

•••
DNQuest.com said:

hehehe..that got a laugh out of me.

•••

hehehe..that got a laugh out of me.

I would say surreal .... LOL

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back