Dynadot

auctions CustomerService.com goes to auction @ $2.1 million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Julio

DominioNombres.comTop Member
Impact
Just saw the news at domaining.com that CustomerService.com is going to auction @ $2.1 million.
Domain names that are memorable and search-engine friendly are branding gold, which is why companies fight for the right to own them, sending their value into the mega millions. You might think it’s insane to spend millions on a simple Internet web address, but the right .com URL could turn an ordinary business into a household name that would otherwise take years to get on people’s radar and cost almost as much in marketing, if not more.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shephy...n-name-goes-to-auction-for-2-1m/#6021250b7150

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please do list them. Not doubting you at all, I'd just love to see a list and the stories behind it.

Dude... did you say list? (n)

HaHa, We are talking ca domains here, cira is the king and they only put out weekly lists of dropping domains. There is no bidding or buying, you have to hit several registrars to use their scripts because when the domains drop the first script to hits it wins.

Its a completely different game from .com domains.

No stories... forum sites reports sales every week and which .ca's dropped and which got picked up. Do not report pricing though, that is why I asked about the site. I did check and so far have seen none of the domains I know of that sold are on NameBio. Seems their .ca reporting is a bit slim anyways, that is probably why their name never came up.

HeHe, Now maybe I can grill some of you guys on my specialty .ca domains

Last edited:
•••
In fact I have been playing around with NameBio and they only have 631 .ca sales listed on the entire site. No wonder I never heard of them.

Serious though.... that is no surprise because the majority of .ca domain sales go unreported. We only report drops and which ones get picked up, that is all that counts for us.

Last edited:
•••
Wayback in 2002 they intended to build a site about..

CustomerService.com will help these visitors easily find what they need because we’ll have direct links to all major companies providing: Outsourcing services, Customer relationship management (CRM) technology, Call center and customer-care software, Customer-centric marketing programs, Training seminars, Consulting services, Customer service conferences, newsletters, magazines and much more…

I don't think using that strategy today warrant's a price of $2M. Do you? Just for fun. Assuming changing their domain to CustomerService.com, they get a 5% incremental return purely from the name change. It's going to take 20 years to just break-even. Gasp!

•••
I don't think using that strategy today warrant's a price of $2M. Do you? Just for fun. Assuming changing their domain to CustomerService.com, they get a 5% incremental return purely from the name change. It's going to take 20 years to just break-even. Gasp!
not if you build a business worth $10m.

•••

Hate to say it here though....

So I guess Apple should go out and buy ComputerRepair.com just so they can sell more Apple Care. It does not make sense to pay that much for CustomerService.com. The people selling these domains are trying to hype us up and it makes the real business of buying and selling domains almost unreachable.

I am happy selling domains in the 5k range, I like making an occasional big sale but look at the facts. Actual sales of .com's in dollar figures are declining. I think we are being herded by a few big players into believing these domains command millions. THEY DO NOT!!

It's a blessed few that have a business doing that, the rest of us are feeding off the bottom. Largest sales for me was 75k. I was ecstatic and aim to shoot for that. If I get a big break great but I hate these fake articles hyping domains that are not worth as much as they claim. They are spoiling it for real every day domainers, everyone sits on domains hopping for the huge payday when we should be buying and selling at realistic numbers, we would all be better off.

Not hyping on you, just saying that we need to get real or all but the elite will go out of business.

Last edited:
•••

A business worth $10M is only OK, if you can sell it for that. I propose that under most norms, a business worth $10M is unlikely to be making a net profit of $1M/year. $2M to $10M in what timeframe? 2yrs, 20yrs? You aren't going to be making $1M profit in the first year after acquisition. It takes time. And a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. IMHO.

Justin. I'm not trying to have an argument here. I'm just trying to make clear our assumptions.

You of course also have to isolate how much of the growth was due to the domain name change.

Last edited:
•••
Oh. And in the quoted article there was no mention of where or when the auction is. Was this just a fluff piece? Or where, when, is it for auction.
They're calling it a "silent auction" and it's happening at... www.customerservice.com :dead:

Last edited:
•••
They're calling it a "silent auction" and it's happening at... www.customerservice.com

Thanks for that, now I can keep an eye on it. The proof is in the pudding... lets see what it sells for.
Hopefully they have a time frame or this could turn into a 3 year discussion.

•••
•••
Thanks for that, now I can keep an eye on it. The proof is in the pudding... lets see what it sells for.

I predict this domain won't sell. IMHO It's maybe worth $125k. But I think that's on the high-side.

•••
"Deadline for Entry to Auction: April 21st, 2017"
I predict this domain won't sell. IMHO It's maybe worth $125k. But I think that's on the high-side.
Yep. They don't believe their own hype, of course:
"Auction will be held online. All selected participants will be allowed to submit one bid on behalf of their party. Bids will remain anonymous.
We reserve the right to accept "Buy It Now" offer prior to auction." :xf.wink:

Oh, I think it will sell, but not for anything in the millions or even hundreds of thousands. Mid to high $xx,xxx most likely. Maaaybe low $xxx,xxx.

Last edited:
•••
If you are or become a leader in outsourcing Customer Service, the sky the limit.

•••
If you are or become a leader in outsourcing Customer Service, the sky the limit.

Not sure If I'm supposed to :) or :( that comment :)

•••
250k to 750k would be reasonable...$125k is on the very low end but not completely out of the realm of possibility. 5 figures....never gonna happen...I mean...how much did they invest to acquire the name?If I spent 50k buying this...there is no way I'd sell for less than 2X, at that point imho it wouldn't be worth investing. Despite the negative press, there is still a chance this name goes for 7 figures..not at the BIN but maybe at $1.0mn to $1.5mn if there is a big player out there that thinks this domain will give them an edge.

Also, listing exuberant bin's is a selling tactic... $2.1mn Buy Now gives anyone putting up offers below that price the belief that they can get a cut price deal. The seller's might only want mid-high six figures for it, it's all a matter of perception. There is definitely a well thought out strategy behind the price, auction structure and the release of press regarding this name. Nothing is what it seems.

•••
"Is going to auction". Good hype, the title of the article. Obviously a sponsored text, a pretty good sales pitch promoting the "exclusive silent auction". Interesting and innovative approach, including this part:

To support those veterans who have served us,1% of the sale of this domain will be gifted to the Institute of Veterans & Military Families to support their mission, "In Service to Those Who Have Served." (y)

Great PR job all around! Will the name fetch anything close to the $2.1 mil minimum bid? I seriously doubt that. The auction holder seems to agree and has built in a safety valve:

We reserve the right to accept "Buy It Now" offer prior to auction

Smart! :sneaky:

Hahhah I'm glad I'm not the only one what was able to "read between the lines" and pick up all the hype and marketing blurb. :)

•••
That's a great domain. hope it sells for top dollars.

That's a great name indeed, but I like AlwaysHere.com better. What do y'all think?

•••
Hahhah I'm glad I'm not the only one what was able to "read between the lines" and pick up all the hype and marketing blurb. :)

Nope. You were not alone :)

•••
That's a great name indeed, but I like AlwaysHere.com better. What do y'all think?

HeHeHe, let me guess.... you own that one. :xf.cool:
It's actually a really good name and it took me a day to respond to you because when I really thought about it you make a lot of sense....

Imagine a customer Service Company called Customer Service or one called Always Here....

Hmmm, just saying.... I can see your point.

I think the best idea is to call up the people selling CustomerService.com and tell them you have a domain for them at a bargain basement price of 1 million. Hype it up and tell them of all the profit they are missing by not owning it.

•••
HeHeHe, let me guess.... you own that one. :xf.cool:
It's actually a really good name and it took me a day to respond to you because when I really thought about it you make a lot of sense....

Imagine a customer Service Company called Customer Service or one called Always Here....

Hmmm, just saying.... I can see your point.

I think the best idea is to call up the people selling CustomerService.com and tell them you have a domain for them at a bargain basement price of 1 million. Hype it up and tell them of all the profit they are missing by not owning it.

Awesome. I definitely like the way you think! :xf.smile:

•••
I'll say my 2cents on this beautiful domain name.

Some members pointed out about "How would you monetize it?" I'm not really sure but If I were to own this name. I would use it to "Target" my competitor customers that are searching for "Customer Service" thousands of times per month.

At the top of the site I would say "Are you getting the right customer service? If not switch over to...."

•••

Some members pointed out about "How would you monetize it?" I'm not really sure but If I were to own this name. I would use it to "Target" my competitor customers that are searching for "Customer Service" thousands of times per month.

At the top of the site I would say "Are you getting the right customer service? If not switch over to...."

Very valid Julio but...

If I sell widgets then I need the Domain WidgetCustomerService.com and I cannot help the people calling in about Car Repair Customer Service.

So the big question is.... What is Customer Service? Can I just call a customer service company and talk to them about anything? If I sell domains then would DomainCustomerService.com not be better?

Lets look at an email address:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Which one tells the client more about your company?

Sorry but I don't get it, a customer service company has to have a topic, what is the customer service for?

Yes I like customerservice.com and would kill to have it but if the manager of my widget company bought it for two million he would be without a job pronto.

•••
Hello Mapledots,

I did say my competitor's customers.

I should have said something more specific like you mentioned. If I was in the telephone service then I would use it to target att, tmobile... customers.

•••

You're referring to CustomerService.com correct? If so, yes it sounds like a terrific idea!

•••
I would definitely buy CustomerService.com for $2,500 max . Why would anyone go to customerservice.com for x support? Why wouldn't they go to support.amazon.com ([email protected]) for amazon's support, or support.apple.com ([email protected]) for apple's support ? Imho, this domain has very low value, but it's cool or FUN to own it.

•••
I think it's a gossip :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back