NameSilo

Current Webmaster Won't Transfer Domain/Site to New Webmaster

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I've been approached by a client to redo their website. I specialize in content so I'm hoping one of you can shine some light on this situation.

I don't have all the details and the client doesn't seem to deal with it, but here's the situation...

The clients had a domain registered and a site built by their webmaster about four years ago. Now, unhappy with his work, they want someone to redesign it and relaunch. They're slightly changing the name so changing the domain name is a possibility.

The current webmaster isn't going to transfer the domain (it's long and has no resale value) or the website. Google has lots of pages indexed to the current domain. Three or four years worth. Plus, I'm guessing some of their clients have the current domain indexed.

If I redo their site, I want the current domain atleast to redirect. I want the current site to archive. Whois reveals little...it looks like GoDaddy is the registrar. I don't even know who the webmaster is.

What can I do? And, what should I advise the clients?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had a situation like this years ago.

Basically advised the client to call the registrar. They will have to jump through hoops and provide documentation they actually own the domain and business.

There is little you yourself can do (besides trying to contact this old webmaster).

•••
FYI, this thread is 2 years old - I'm sure the situation has been resolved by now!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back