IT.COM

question Cryptocurrency investments and domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Personally I see many domainers start to invest in cryptocurrencies which is driving our market down.

Could this potentially kill a domaining? What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello soidav,

I like this. This is an interesting concept.
Could you expand on your theory?

Peace,
Cyberain

•••
Hello Cyberian,

Well, before the cryptocurrencies existed, the domain names attracted many investors making the market constant growing. Chinese investors drove the market all the way up with numberics domains and chips. Now I see many of them and other western domainers switch to cryptocurrencies, means less capital flowing to domain names market, which could cause an absolute drop in to resellers market. Since the cryptocurrencies are gaining traction I think this would drain the domain names market significally.

•••
Why do you think it is driving down the domain name market? I think the reverse is true, and that is why I've started to put together my Wise Accountant site. Domain name prices will increase as people become more interested in virtual assets.

•••
Why do you think it is driving down the domain name market? I think the reverse is true, and that is why I've started to put together my Wise Accountant site. Domain name prices will increase as people become more interested in virtual assets.

Because the same domain investors preffers to put their money in to cryptocurrency over the next domain name purchase. Time will show anyhow, but I'm already can feel the affects of rising cryptocurrency market.

•••
I think on the same lines. Got CryptoLess.com for that scenario :)

•••
Yes there is a 100% affect on the domain market from the new crypto trend.

I myself have invested quite a bit in the crypto market that would have originally gone to domains.

I known several domainers that are doing the same.

Im still in the domain market, but the alot of funds went into crypto.

Its def affecting the domain market values too.

Many are selling domains under wholesale value to quickly obtain cash to put in the cyrpto market.

But you must do your due diligence before jumping into cypto's.

When the smell of money hits peoples noses everyone comes out to play....

•••
Cyptocurrency investment affect domaining in reseller market- yes.
End user channel/market - No

•••
I honestly don't belive in this cryptocurrency thing is happening for about 4 years, I doubt they'll still be around in 6 years. The only way is to create a very secure one and easy to understand (and without this wallet sh**, because 99% of people don't know how to save a password/access key properly) and it also has to be liked by the governments, cryptocurrency 2.0 (and no, I don't belive that's Ethereum).

Last edited:
•••
Much more likely that the perceived value of crypto will crash.
On another note, if these digital monies are actually worth the valuations (in dollars) that speculators are giving them based on sound and practical reasons, then the real value of the US dollar would have to be worthless.

Last edited:
•••
Cyptocurrency investment affect domaining in reseller market- yes.
End user channel/market - No

That's how it's looks from the first sight, but the end user prices are also very depend on the resellers market values.

•••
I honestly don't belive in this cryptocurrency thing is happening for about 4 years, I doubt they'll still be around in 6 years. The only way is to create a very secure one and easy to understand (and without this wallet sh**, because 99% of people don't know how to save a password/access key properly) and it also has to be liked by the governments, cryptocurrency 2.0 (and no, I don't belive that's Ethereum).

Personally I think as soon as the cryptocurrency would start to pose any threat to goverments fiat money, they will try by any means to take the crypto down, but there is time for that, and meanwhile our domain market may expirience a great depression we never seen before, which possibly just began. That's my point.

•••
I personally have and will stay away from actual cryptocurrencies, coins, tokens, ico, etc etc. I know domains, I know the ecosystem, the players, real value etc. I don't think people truly understand the risk nor the space as a fluid whole. However, I will invest in domains related to such. Acquired iTokens.com the other day as I can see the technology being used in future virtual worlds or real world for virtual goods as in the case of decentraland.org. It's an interesting user case nonetheless.

That said, YES cryptocurrency will impact domaining as the get rich quick guys try to play the field. But it's not going to kill domaining as you brought up. The same guys who were chasing CHIPs will now be chasing CRYPTs.

imo

•••
Profits that are found in rising alternative investments help the domain market, not hamper it....An example being BitcoinCash.org fetched 48 grand several weeks ago....That's not a sale that would happen in a "down" market...Crypto currency has absolutely no negative effect in regards to quality domains. If anything, it helps.

•••
•••
I personally have and will stay away from actual cryptocurrencies, coins, tokens, ico, etc etc. I know domains, I know the ecosystem, the players, real value etc. I don't think people truly understand the risk nor the space as a fluid whole. However, I will invest in domains related to such. Acquired iTokens.com the other day as I can see the technology being used in future virtual worlds or real world for virtual goods as in the case of decentraland.org. It's an interesting user case nonetheless.

That said, YES cryptocurrency will impact domaining as the get rich quick guys try to play the field. But it's not going to kill domaining as you brought up. The same guys who were chasing CHIPs will now be chasing CRYPTs.

imo

I'm staying away from cryptocurrency market too, for now at least.

But me and you is not the whole domain market, what I'm saying is there is mass rerouting of capital flowing to cryptocurrencies market instead of domain names market. Most of the domainers are in to domaining for the same reason people invest in to crypto, you might call it get rich quick guys, but in the end of the day, same applies for us the domainers. Just the ROI in crypto in general is different than in to domain names market, so are the risks, but this won't scare investors. The same guys who were chasing chips and numerics are significant part of the domaining industry plus as I mentioned above, I also see many western domainers switch to crypto. As a domainer I hope I'm wrong, time will show us.

•••
Profits that are found in rising alternative investments help the domain market, not hamper it....An example being BitcoinCash.org fetched 48 grand several weeks ago....That's not a sale that would happen in a "down" market...Crypto currency has absolutely no negative effect in regards to quality domains. If anything, it helps.

One unverified sale doesn't show the market trend in any way, also if the sale really took place it's shows the crypto market growth as it's directly related name. That's my opinion.

•••
One unverified sale doesn't show the market trend in any way, also if the sale really took place it's shows the crypto market growth as it's directly related name. That's my opinion.

How do you mean by unverified sale; dnjournal.com always verified before publications.
Mind you about your anticipation on falling of domain name industry; there is always one trend at a time and has been like that for a long time.
I see no reason why crypto should affect domaining because every trend that had occured always influence domain industry positively people will always need domain name, the more people are going virtually on website establishment. IMHO

•••
So many people have become rich in recent years in crypto world. I don't know how many people have become rich in domain world. Then if domainers start to invest in cryptocurrencies it's normal: people want to make money.
Seven years ago, the value of a bitcoin was worth a quarter of a cent. Today a bitcoin = more than $3000. then $100 invested in bitcoin 7 years ago = more than $120 Million today. It's huge...
But this will not kill domaining. Even crypto sites need domains for example...

Last edited:
•••
Crytpo market is exploding, it's liquid, has huge risks and huge rewards, and you don't have to convince or sell anybody, it's 100% passive. More millionaires have been created in Crypto in 1 month than the domain industry in 25 years. Domain Market is not liquid, unless you have short domains or great names, ROI can be great, but might have to wait years for that to happen. Part of me is burned out on domain industry, 20 years full time, been a great ride, just kind of bored of it.

I stopped buying domains, and putting money in crypto, more action, fit's my gambling personality better. Domains are here for the long run, except GTLD's put those in the grave, maybe 5-10 Crypto's will survive the long run, just need to pick the right one. About 75% domainers I know have entered crypto, many left domaining.

Last edited:
•••
Crytpo market is exploding, it's liquid, has huge risks and huge rewards, and you don't have to convince or sell anybody, it's 100% passive. More millionaires have been created in Crypto in 1 month than the domain industry in 25 years. Domain Market is not liquid, unless you have short domains or great names, ROI can be great, but might have to wait years for that to happen. Part of me is burned out on domain industry, 20 years full time, been a great ride, just kind of bored of it.

I stopped buying domains, and putting money in crypto, more action, fit's my gambling personality better. Domains are here for the long run, except GTLD's put those in the grave, maybe 5-10 Crypto's will survive the long run, just need to pick the right one. About 75% domainers I know have entered crypto, many left domaining.

Thanks for sharing Jim.

This tendency will grow...

•••

There you go :) been in it for a bit now myself :)

•••
If you compare those 2, bitcoin investment outperforms domain investment.
1- It's easier to start with little knowledge. Domain investment is much more difficult to learn. Even stock exchange investment is easier than domaining.
2- There is no authority to take your bitcoin for breaching a rule in small prints. It's a safe, probably the safest investment compared to other investment alternatives. You can lose your domain for too many reasons.
3- Domaining is riskier. Usually you make loss from renewal fees or you face with a high opportunity cost if you make small profit in long years.

•••
I am gradually switching to cryptos, and have already invested 5-figures into it.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back