Dynadot

.crypto domains launching on 12/11

NameSilo
Watch

Unstoppable Domains

Established Member
Impact
Hi NamePros,

We’re announcing the launch of the .crypto domain extension on 12/11. 50,000 domains have already been registered. Go to https://unstoppabledomains.com/?ref=namepros to find available domains.

You’ve probably all heard about cryptocurrency, but may not be aware that new domain extensions are being launched on blockchains. These domains are not part of the ICANN system. They are stored by the owner, with their private key, not by a registrar like Godaddy. No one can transfer a domain or update it other than the owner. If you store website content on decentralized storage instead of Amazon Web Services, then no one can take down your website other than you.

A blockchain domain + Decentralized storage = An uncensorable website

This is the beginning of an entirely new internet built to protect free speech around the world.

Blockchain domain features
  • No Renewals - Pay once and it’s yours ... forever

• No Custodian - Domains are stored by the owner. No third party can move or update them

• Payments - The domain can be used as a payment address for cryptocurrencies. Send Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, or any other currency all to the same domain

• Uncensorable Websites - Attach domains to content on decentralized storage and create an uncensorable website

• Transfers - Escrow agents aren’t needed. Transfer to anyone in the world in under 1 minute with no risk of being defrauded

We’ll be moderating this thread and we’d love to hear your thoughts!

Brad Kam, Co-founder

This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, those are just quesions - if they are properly responded and clarified, I have no problem to invest in to blockchain domains myself :) But I personaly need to understand more before I send my money into this direction.

Also your example of Keith.crypto vs Kieth.crypto is very good - we all know it is very usual for humans to make typos - so the third question would be, what will happen if someone makes a typo, and send large amount of money to incorrect wallet?
If someone were to also setup kieth.crypto with crypto addresses, this could accidentally happen. But this is still easier to verify than the current 40 char address. And you can add info to keith.crypto like your twitter or telegram account to verify that it's you.

•••
Yes these are alternate routes. They are not part of ICANN. The point is to have censorship resistant websites so anyone in the world can publish on the internet and authoritarian governments can't censor them through domain seizures and website take downs.
Hello Brad and thanks for coming to discuss!

I would suggest that those involved in the "blockchain domains" space stay away from using the term "alternative roots."

The dark web is an alternative root. The domain .onion is an alternative root. Blockchain domains have very different attributes than those existing that use the term "alternative root."

Blockchain domains don't compete with existing alternative roots or DNS. Blockchain domains have unique and different qualities and should not be compared to existing protocols and technologies.

•••
In this case the funds are gone. That’s why it’s so important to have the crazy long, jumbled address. That crazy address also hides your identity much better than an obvious url.
Why not just get a domain called anonymouscat or something like that?
It has happened before -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New.net

At one point it offered .travel, .kids, and .xxx but those were removed when they conflicted with domains proposed to ICANN in the first round of creation of new domain names in the primary root since the early history of the DNS

ICANN does not recognize or care about alternate roots.
The difference here is that large applications are natively supporting blockchain domains. And they will continue to do so for at least 3 years before ICANN does anything. And these applications could still ignore ICANN after that point. Meanwhile, millions of people in the crypto community will be actively building the decentralized web. And does anyone really think that the centralized version of .crypto is going to compete? Would it even make sense to have such a thing? Who would want that?

•••
That is fine. What is to stop endless other alternate root providers from launching their own .crypto then?
Nothing really.

Brad
Brad is been nice about it. I would just put it bluntly and say its total bs. You cant just make up domain extension with 0 right or claim to it. Obviously crypto will be used by dns icann. Obviously anyone else can claim it. Obviously all browsers use dns system. The whole thing seems a bit absurd to me. Am I missing something here?

•••
The difference here is that large applications are natively supporting blockchain domains. And they will continue to do so for at least 3 years before ICANN does anything. And these applications could still ignore ICANN after that point. Meanwhile, millions of people in the crypto community will be actively building the decentralized web. And does anyone really think that the centralized version of .crypto is going to compete? Would it even make sense to have such a thing? Who would want that?

ICANN is highly unlikely to care or be compelled by that.

The only real solution to that issue is for you to apply for the extension, and likely outbid many other parties for it. Outside that it is likely going to be delegated to another party that is using the official root where you can just type it into any normal browser and it works.

Brad

•••
There are many other companies that matching text name to blockchain addresses on huge scale networks.

•••
Hello Brad and thanks for coming to discuss!

I would suggest that those involved in the "blockchain domains" space stay away from using the term "alternative roots."

The dark web is an alternative root. The domain .onion is an alternative root. Blockchain domains have very different attributes than those existing that use the term "alternative root."

Blockchain domains don't compete with existing alternative roots or DNS. Blockchain domains have unique and different qualities and should not be compared to existing protocols and technologies.
Blockchain domains will compete with regular DNS. For now, they are being used as backup websites, but as the tech progresses, people will migrate from one to the other because it's more secure, cheaper, and includes new features like payments. Open Nic is also an alternate root. IT's not a dirty term. It's to clarify that we are not part of DNS, nor do we need to be or want to be. We are building a separate internet. This one is based on self custody and censorship resistance. The value they bring is in protecting the ability to post content and have it not come down. These are critical tools for people living under authoritarian governments.

•••
ICANN is highly unlikely to care or be compelled by that.

The only real solution to that issue is for you to apply for the extension, and likely outbid many other parties for it. Outside that it is likely going to be delegated to another party that is using the official root where you can just type it into any normal browser and it works.

Brad
Unless browsers support our .crypto first. Remember, we've got 3 years :)

•••
Obviously all browsers use dns system.
Who's to say that browsers wont use blockchain in the future? All major web browsers currently have teams working on web3.0, aka the blockchain space.

•••
And yes, we are open to also applying defensively

•••
Unless browsers support our .crypto first. Remember, we've got 3 years :)

What seems more likely to you...

1.) Major companies sticking to the normal DNS root. The one that the average person expects and has been used for decades.

2.) Major companies with market caps of hundreds of billions of dollars just randomly changing the DNS root to some random 3rd party.

I am sorry, but it seems like highly wishful thinking to me.

Brad

•••
Who's to say that browsers wont use blockchain in the future? All major web browsers currently have teams working on web3.0, aka the blockchain space.
Browsers are quite open to alternate roots. The challenge previously was that these systems remained for small numbers of enthusiasts. No mainstream use cases. Blockchain domains have a clear use case for the 100M existing crypto community. And there are lots of decent sized businesses in that community who are actively building using this technology. And most importantly, the community believes in free speech and self custody. The DNS system is controlled and censorable. It is actively harming people around the world who are fighting for free speech in their countries.

•••
Blockchain domains will compete with regular DNS. For now, they are being used as backup websites, but as the tech progresses, people will migrate from one to the other because it's more secure, cheaper, and includes new features like payments. Open Nic is also an alternate root. IT's not a dirty term. It's to clarify that we are not part of DNS, nor do we need to be or want to be. We are building a separate internet. This one is based on self custody and censorship resistance. The value they bring is in protecting the ability to post content and have it not come down. These are critical tools for people living under authoritarian governments.
Fair enough. Although using the term "alternate" or "alternative" is giving end users, who is needed for adoption, more of a secondary feel.

My point is to market on the great attributes instead of being a secondary option.

Best of luck!

•••
What seems more likely to you...

1.) Major companies sticking to the normal DNS root. The one that the average person expects and has been used for decades.

2.) Major companies with market caps of hundreds of billions of dollars just randomly changing the DNS root to some random 3rd party.

I am sorry, but it seems like highly wishful thinking to me.

Brad
They are not changing anything related to DNS. The DNS system doesn't support these extensions. They are adding resolution by reading the blockchain. And yes, applications are very open to this.

•••
Why not get a random domain to act as a payment address? Exactly! Why doesn’t Chase let you use your name to take place of your bank account number? Hmm...

•••
Fair enough. Although using the term "alternate" or "alternative" is giving end users, who is needed for adoption, more of a secondary feel.

My point is to market on the great attributes instead of being a secondary option.

Best of luck!
We call it the decentralized web. And it's completely different than the traditional internet. But when talking to the domain community, we were ensuring that everyone understands it's not part of ICANN. Domain seizures and website take downs become impossible. This is radically different than the current system.

•••
Very true. The topic is picking up steam in the browser community.

•••
While .CRYPTO and .ZIL domains will be usable for creating websites (timeline?) not hosted on traditional host providers, for most individuals the primary advantage of a blockchain domain is that of a wallet address shortener. I have already used some .ZIL domains of mine to make wallet-to-wallet transfers. While a typo domain could theoretically be an issue, which is more likely - mistyping a 6-12 character memorable keyword or some random 40-character crypto address which is a combination of upper and lower case characters plus numbers which make no logical sense? However, one should be aware of singular versus plural keywords as someone may own the equivalent plural/singular domain of a blockchain domain you are using.

Note some wallets will change the default send to address once that address has been used (for privacy - so that it is more difficult to track multiple transfers to the same wallet). However, I found I was still able to use that original address for transfers to that wallet.

•••
They are not changing anything related to DNS. The DNS system doesn't support these extensions. They are adding resolution by reading the blockchain. And yes, applications are very open to this.

The bottom line in my view is as soon as there is an actual ICANN approved .crypto extension it will basically replace anything you are doing. You could either get that extension or be stuck on a alternative root.

I really don't see any major company or browser making it so when you type a .crypto address into a browser it is sent on some alternative root by default.

Brad

•••
That is fine. What is to stop endless other alternate root providers from launching their own .crypto then?
Nothing really.

Brad
Applications decide what to integrate. We already have a large number of top crypto wallets supporting our extension. They will not support a rival .crypto that could collide. Without ICANN deciding what's in DNS, applications decide what is legitimate. That's why we spent the past 6 months getting integrated with applications.

•••
Domain seizures and website take downs become impossible. This is radically different than the current system.

Which sounds great in theory, but has major issues in practice.

While clearly some seizures / take downs are bogus, there are often highly legitimate reasons to take down websites.

Brad

•••
The bottom line in my view is as soon as there is an actual ICANN approved .crypto extension it will basically replace anything you are doing. You could either get that extension or be stuck on a alternative root.

I really don't see any major company or browser making it so when you type a .crypto address into a browser it is sent on some alternative root by default.

Brad
Stay tuned Brad :) Announcements coming. And it wont' replace because the ICANN version of .crypto won't be censorship resistant. It would be useless to people trying to use it for payments or for censorship resistant websites.

•••
Stay tuned Brad :) Announcements coming. And it wont' replace because the ICANN version of .crypto won't be censorship resistant. It would be useless to people trying to use it for payments or for censorship resistant websites.

Good luck. This thread should be moved to the promotional section of the forum BTW.

Brad

•••
Which sounds great in theory, but has major issues in practice.

While clearly some seizures / take downs are bogus, there are often highly legitimate reasons to take down websites.

Brad
And now they will all become impossible. Because no one person, company, government, or group can be trusted to decide what's ok on the internet and what isn't. Think about take downs in China, Russia, or Catalan. Or free speech activists almost anywhere in the world. Filtering of objectionable content will still happen with browsers, search engines, etc. The difference is that the record is still there on the blockchain, even if it's being ignored. If people really want to see it, they will be able to. And apps won't take one singular view of what is ok on the internet. Different browsers could show different versions depending on their moral view of the world. You can choose your app, your app chooses your internet. And you can always read the blockchain yourself if you really need. It's a robust, permanent, uncensorable public database.

•••
Good luck. This thread should be moved to the promotional section of the forum BTW.

Brad
Actually, it should be moved to a new category titled "Blockchain Domains."

This is not the only conversation we will see in this space. Web3.0 is coming and we will see more users enter this space as the technology continues to develop.

@Eric Lyon - Can we set up a "Blockchain Domains" category?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back