NameSilo

Copyright

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Where can i get my domain name copyright and how much will it cost?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain names cannot be copyrighted.

But yes you can get a trademark for your name.

Domain names cannot be copyrighted.

But yes you can get a trademark for your name.

•••
trademarkmyname.com or contact johnberryhill here.. both of those can help you trademark for the right fee. I think it costs at least $400.

•••
TMs are earned through commerce. You cannot file for a TM and then get a TM. You are confused with registering your TM as opposed to obtaining one.

•••
What if i start a website and someone get the name a trademark is the name legally there? Thanks for the info

•••
john_karr said:
What if i start a website and someone get the name a trademark is the name legally there? Thanks for the info

You may or may not be able to trademark a name. You can almost always trademark a "stylized" logo of a name though, even if the name is deemed to be generic. Just use the name in commerce and put the ™ "TM" by the name and you have a "trademark". to better protect your rights you can file for a Registered Trademark which would if approved allow the ® circled "R" symbol.

If you are the first to USE the name in commerce as a trademark or file for a registered TM, then you have something to stand on if somone else later uses or files for a registered trademark. Having a domain name before them will hold some weight, but it's not a sure thing if they are later awarded a registered trademark or claim a non-registered trademark was used before you registered the domain.

By the way, if not sellling tangible goods, technically it's a "Servicemark" instead of a "Trademark".

•••
Do you have to pay for copyright? i dont remember but i read some where that if you make something it is copyrighted automatcily because you made it is this true?

•••
•••
I have the domain register already and its not a generic name its something i made up is that enough if you made up the name?

•••
If made up and not composed of standard dictionary words, you should be able to register a trademark or servicemark. As long as no one else made the same name up before you did and TM'd it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back